Do you still get excited about an upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Naptimes, Mar 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Naptimes
    Original Member

Naptimes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I was over it. It happens often enough that it isn't really a big deal.

And then I got my united alert saying I was bumped to first on my trip to OKC tomorrow.

I'm much happier about that than I probably should be. Maybe because it's OKC?

Sean Colahan, 2soonold and jbcarioca like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not excited, but annoyed/frustrated if my upgrade doesn't clear at the window for domestic, followed by obsessively checking until it does clear.

3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always get excited, because its never guaranteed until you get that email/confirmation/ticket. I get the same feeling of excitement when I book a great award trip, learn a new earning method, fly a MR, etc. Yes, I'm an MPer.

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never get upgraded since I don't have status with MP. The only upgrade I got was an op-up or sheer generosity from the GA who I politely asked to be on the upgrade list with *S status on OZ.... I don't think it was an op-up instead I think it was a kind gesture from that GA. ^ to that man. After having that experience I don't consider many GA's as being mean unless they shout at me for no reason :(

2soonold and jbcarioca like this.
  5. If it's one of the few upgrades (without burning a certificate) Delta gives for international destinations then I'm pumped. Even if I have to burn a certificate I get pumped about first/business class going ATL to DBX for example. A flat bed on a 14 hour flight is useful. I've done coach to DBX and it sucks! Domestic upgrades mean nothing. You're just closer to the smell of the toilet.

Jslo, 2soonold and jbcarioca like this.
  6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I disagree with domestic upgrades, especially a redeye transcon. An upgrade can mean the difference between arriving refreshed or ready for a 12 hour nap.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    My first upgrade was LAX-IAD in March 1998. I was 23, a lowly 2P on United. It was a 777. Boy, I boarded that plane and I was excited. I didn't even know what to expect. Lunch began with a shrimp appetizer (lots of shrimp) with some sort of almond dusting. Entree was a steak. I had a couple of cocktails. It was an international business seat. We had a pretty strong tail wind, the flight was over too quickly!

I used to do whatever i could to fly a 747 (back when UA used to fly them IAD-LAX/SFO and also ex-ORD). Or a 777 at least, the noon 777 LAX-IAD on Sundays was a regular and i always cleared. And if I had to fly during the week to the West Coast, I'd want it to be the noon 777 IAD-DEN and beyond because I wanted that upgrade. I got excited by that upgrade.

My first upgrade to first rather than business on a transcon or midcon was IAD-PHX. I had booked IAD-LAX-PHX to get a 747 and be assured the upgrade. At checkin the agent just put me on the non-stop. It was a 757, but I was excited. This was first class! I would get an ice cream sundae!!

Then my first double upgrade to first class on a 3-cabin plane was ORD-DTW, I was upgraded to first on an #320 which was swapped for an international 763. It was a short flight, but wow how cool!

I was quickly a 1P by the end of 1998 and I was on my way. Then I discovered the status run, and I was the first person to volunteer to take a trip whenever needed, two transcon roundtrips in a week? No problem!

That was then, this is now, and the service itself is degraded and I'm more jaded, no I don't get excited about a domestic upgrade and I'm less than pleased when it doesn't come through, if there's much chance I think it won't on a transcon I'll do whatever's necessary to secure it up front.

Internationally, it's a different story. There are still flight products that excite me I admit..

8. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    On short haul no but on long haul (basically 6 hours and up) definitely.

The longer the flight the more excited I am about the upgrade.

9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get so few it is still a huge deal for me.

10. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. I look forward to boarding quickly, not having to fight for luggage space, not having someone invade my personal space, being able to sit comfortably, being able to get a banana for a snack instead of pretzels, lunch or dinner, drinks, I'm always happy to be rewarded for spending multiple days out of my year on a plane.

11. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am happy about any upgrade - anxious until I hear, trying to be philosophical about the chances and the luck I may have. But, on an overseas flight I would probably go for an award ticket and not risk not getting the upgrade - too much anxiety.

12. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, especially when I travel somewhere with my 1P friend and I get the upgrade (on DL/AS) when she doesn't (on UA).

About the time I start getting complacent with upgrades, I usually get stuck in a mis-judged non-reclining exit row seat to remind me to be thankful.

13. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We flew back from the Bahamas to Newark. Three days out, when my upgrade should have cleared - nothing. Finally cleared the day before (still loads of empty seats in First). Called to use points to upgrade my wife and was told it was within 24 hours and too late! Complained that it was their fault that it was two days late but got nowhere. Called back and made it happen.

Just like you, if I feel I deserve it, I get pissed when it doesn't happen. Retirement is NOT going to be easy when I lose all these perks!

MSPeconomist, 2soonold and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It never becomes less than exciting for me. Still nothing beat the regular op ups that I had on PA81/82 when I flew with a deep steerage ticket, but still ended up in F on every single flight. Maybe that is one reason they failed.:eek:

15. Jaguar
    Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am quite excited every time I check-in. I am fairly new to this game - I have been 2P for a little more than a year now. I had my first upgrade to Business on a short-haul from SFO to LAS. It was quite exciting! I got upgraded on the way back too. I have not flown First class yet, but I am sure it will happen one of these days...

16. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not happen much for me these days.:(

17. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, don't you!!!!!!!!!!:)

18. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same sentiments. Regional, Transcon, Intl- every upgrade is a thrill. same for room upgrades. heck, even comp water makes me smile.

Steven Schwartz likes this.
  19. bubb1
    Original Member

bubb1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do, but I am AA PLT so I have to carefully select when I want to burn stickers :)

20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure! An operational upgrade is still a gift in the end- so better than not.

21. lv2trvl
    Original Member

lv2trvl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I'm definitely still very happy about any upgrade that works out. That said, I also have no reservations about booking non-upgradable international fares. If the rare op-up happens, so much the better, but I can certainly stand being in coach for a TATL trip if the lowest upgradable fare was several hundreds more.

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try Delta, where the cheapest upgradeable fare for TATL/TPAC RTs can be thousands of dollars more!

FetePerfection likes this.
  23. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love to fly, so any time I get to take a flight I get excited. I am new to this status game and since having status, get extra excited when an upgrade clears:D I hope in 10 years, I still get the same feeling.

Travelsavant likes this.
  24. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still get excited everytime an upgrade clears, be it short-haul domestic or long-haul Intl. Love flying & when the experience is enhanced by Biz or 1st, all the better!

25. Naptimes
    Original Member

Naptimes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's when I love it...

When I take my wife somewhere and we get upgraded. We have been able to do a few trips sans kids in the last few years and when the upgrade clears, she gets excited. Something about reading a trashy magazine in first, she likes that.

Also sat up front with my 14 yr old daughter who thought it was the coolest. Of course this is a family with a kid (not her) who thinks the apple juice machine at the Hampton Inn is worth 4 diamonds.

southender and Sean Colahan like this.