Do you miss the Mint?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by harvson3, May 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A flyer fell out of my mail and caught my eye.

www.littletoncoin.com/specials
    Dept. 2NK100

It's not very much at all - only $20 - but I'm out of presidents and every time I use coins I feel like a sucker.

Oh, and you probably have to call to cancel further shipments. So there's that inconvenience.

In any case, happy weekend, everyone.

Andyandy and Gargoyle like this.
  2. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can always use your coins and buy a $200 gift card at staples. :D I would love to see the clerks face while counting them out. :eek:

3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely miss the mint. I'm running out and actually enjoy using the coins for certain purchases (great for vending machines). The mint is selling dollar coins again, but charging a 12% markup, which isn't too attractive.

4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    YES YES YES!!!!

5. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I totally miss the mint deal. It makes meeting spend minimums so much harder.

PLUS_1 and Andyandy like this.
  6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope this is a rhetorical question ;)

PLUS_1 likes this.
  7. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Without a doubt!!
    I miss being able to hit the minimum spends with ease; racking up miles/points on top of the bonuses; the whole process of ordering, tracking and moving large amounts of coins and (occasionally) spending them.
    Ahh, the good old days... :(

8. ShadowTraveler

ShadowTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Man I miss those too. Could target certain credit cards like BA and each that companion ticket after $30k. Also now the fuel charges are scary might need to keep the coins rather than depositing. Haha

9. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was flipping through a magazine on a flight with my wife two days ago, and there was an ad for some gold coins. I turned to my wife and said, "Is it bad that my heart beats faster when I see ads like this, thinking I'll be able to order a couple thousand?"

10. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys, I found this on Wikipedia, hope it helps.

The Five Stages of Mint Loss Grief

1. Denial — "This is just a blip."; "They gotta get rid of the coins somehow."
      Denial is usually only a temporary defense for the Mintie. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of the awardwallet balance after years of minting. Denial can be conscious or unconscious refusal to accept facts, information, or the reality of the situation. Denial is a defense mechanism and some people can become locked in this stage. Kind of like a fort made out of empty mint boxes.
    2. Anger — "Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can Geitner do this to me?";
      Once in the second stage, the Mintie recognizes that Direct Ship isn't coming back. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to care for due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy. Anger can manifest itself in different ways. People can be angry with themselves, or with Marathon Man, AlohaDaveKennedy, and especially Mr.Pickles. It is important to remain detached and nonjudgmental when dealing with a person experiencing anger from the loss of thousands of miles every ten days.
    3. Bargaining — "I'll do anything for a few more shipments."; "I will give my life savings of President Lincolns if..."
      The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow postpone or delay the loss of the stream of lovely golden coins. Usually, the negotiation for an extended life is made with the Treasury Secretary or Fed Chairman in exchange for a reformed deposit/spend model. Psychologically, the Mintie is saying, "I understand I shouldn't just dump 10,000 coins at the bank, but if I could just spend an extra $20 at my barber..." Bargaining rarely provides a sustainable solution, especially if dealing with a non-responsive federal bureaucracy.
    4. Depression — "I'm so sad, why bother with E-miles?"; "I'm going to stop checking awardwallet."; "I miss my UPS man, why go on?"
      During the fourth stage, the Mintie begins to understand the certainty of having to make spend in other ways. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the Mintie to disconnect from things of love and affection, like hotel toiletries amenity kits, and Woodford Reserve miniatures on Delta. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer up an individual who is in this stage by offering him a lounge pass. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed. It's natural to feel sadness, regret, fear, and uncertainty when going through this stage. Feeling those emotions shows that the person has begun to accept the situation.
    5. Acceptance — "It's going to be okay, I can do a few thousand a month in FAR and gift card deals."; "I can't fight it, I may as well start credit card churning."
      In this last stage, Minties begin to come to terms with the end of the program, or other tragic event. This stage varies according to the person's situation. People can enter this stage a long time before the people they leave behind on the "Getting spending up without the Mint" thread at that other website, who must pass through their own individual stages of dealing with the grief.
    Andyandy

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like money, miles and going to the bank. This was the one promo that gave me everything!

Andyandy, MyTravels and PointHoarder like this.
  12. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Andyandy, the The Five Stages of Mint Loss Grief was great.

I have found the mint loss to be harder on me than my divorce was.

Andyandy likes this.