Do you like Mountain Lion as much as I do?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by jbcarioca, Jul 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even the dictation works well, as this post indicates because I'm using Apple dictation to make the post.

Apple doesn't say that they have better visual representation in Mountain Lion but my screens are much clearer and easier to read than they were before.

For what it's worth I have not edited Apple dictation in this post and this is the very first dictation that I have made using Mountain Lion.

So what are your findings?

tondoleo and uggboy like this.
  2. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    What model/year Mac are you using?

tondoleo, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't add commas well does it?

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Three are 2011 vintage Mini MAC, one is a 2012 vintage 13" MacBookAir. I compared color before after using two of the Minis configured identically.
    It took me about an hour fooling around to get punctuation to work well. It does work now, but it's probably the weakest part. Caps are not too good but thus post shows how it works for me now unedited. I am quite surprised because I used dragon before and it has been awful.

tondoleo, SC Flier and LAXtraveler like this.
  5. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    My issue is that I have a 2010 model MacBook Air. I am unsure if it is worth the upgrade at this point.

tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? I used Dragon on Windows about four years ago and found it to be quite good. My wife's been using it professionally for nearly a year and loves it.

adambadam, tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    For $19.99 it is hardy a major purchase.
    l
    I have used it for both Windows and Mac, but maybe I gave up on it before it began to be good. The perils of early adoption, maybe :oops:

tondoleo likes this.
  8. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have an iPhone you can try this the Mobile Mouse app and then dictate through the iPhone using Siri. Works fairly well. Plus it will do a whole lot more.

9. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know, but still. Apparently AirPlay is a no-go for 2010 MacBook Airs which is a bummer, since I would have considered getting an AppleTV in the future for something like that.

10. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got an AppleTV as a gift and returned it last year because I could not see a use for it. Now I am thinking about getting one just for the AirPlay feature.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use the streaming feature in iTunes a lot on my AppleTV (which we use every day), but can't really see a use for the main AirPlay mirroring of everything. Perhaps it's because I don't play dual screen games.

We have slow connectivity, so I find it easier to store episodes and stuff on my laptop and stream them to the AppleTV rather than watch directly on it. By the time something downloads to it, I'd have killed its buffer three times over.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still have mid-2006 MacBook Pro and still stuck on Snow Leopard. If only credit card sign-up bonuses gave out Apple products.... I have been holding on to splurge as good ol' Pro works fine still, clearly...

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wub Mountain Lions

[​IMG]

Photonerd71 and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are really stunning. Where did you find this spectacular photo? Thanks for posting it. Mrs jbc now has a new reason to love her new Mountain Lion. She just saw these and decided they should be her new screensaver.

15. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't updated yet, but likely will over the weekend. I'm looking forward to some of the new features - just have to upgrade my AppleTV now for the AirPlay and Mirroring changes. Of course, what I'm really looking forward to is the future upgrade to this:
    [​IMG]

16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not have Apple TV, being turned off by early poor reviews. In addition I stream video from Amazon, mostly, thought VPN because i live outside the US and I have no idea if Apple TV is an advantage over streaming directly from my laptop. You two are making me think about that. Have you any useful advice?

17. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've not used other streaming services (Amazon, NetFlix, etc.), so I can't really compare. I originally got the AppleTV as an alternative to upgrading to BlueRay and continuing to rent DVDs, and general disappointment with PPV/OnDemand services from my cable provider. I used to think some releases would hit ATV before OnDemand, but now timing seems to be about the same. If you have a good setup with your current streaming options for video and music, especially if they're wireless (that's the big plus of the ATV), then a switch to ATV might not make sense.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I just saved a few bucks!

19. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    lots of ppl reporting wifi connectivity issues, be cautious! My mid-2011 iMac has the same problem, can't browse any web page after a couple of minutes, but everything looks fine, even downloads are proceeding as normal. No idea how to fix it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if that is for specifc models. My 2012 MacBook Air has been using wifi for some hours with no problem. It has been streaming video with a wifi connection most of those hours. I always worry about such issues, but so far no problems for me.

lichenlt likes this.
  21. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could be, but I've seen ppl report such issues across multiple models and years. Maybe all had a common hardware that's incompatible with ML. I just hope Apple releases an update to fix this ASAP.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    So do I. I remember some gigantic problems with older Windows updates, one reason I switched to Mac. I'd hate to see those problems anywhere.

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember the pain I went through with the Leopard -> Snow Leopard upgrade that broke the access to my NAS (Infrant ReadyNas). It took quite a while for a workaround to appear (which was to use only numbers in your password... ahem!). Not sure if it was ever fixed and who was ultimately to blame. But the pain (inability to access my data... how much worse can it get!?) kept me from upgrading to Lion as I only remembered the downside from the previous upgrade. And right now I don't have time to deal with any issues.. WiFi or otherwise, so I am still on Snow Leopard.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my coworkers pasted it into the IRC channel. Don't know where he found it. I made it into a desktop background for my work machine.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

DCtrAAveler likes this.