Do you like honest people?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jetsfan, Mar 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jetsfan
    Original Member

jetsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, my spring resolution is to be more honest. I started at the beginning of this past week and I did not realize how many "lies" I tell on a daily basis. It's definitely going to be harder than I thought. What I've also realized is that a lot of people don't want to actually hear the truth.

So here's the question: do you like it when people are completely honest? I know everyone says they do, but my question is whether you actually do.

Also, how can you be honest without being a "jerk." A lot of situations that come up are ones where if I'm honest I feel like I'm being mean, but I really want to try to be totally honest.

I'm talking about total honesty. As an example, if I'm talking to someone and they say something that I don't really care about, the "polite" thing to do is to keep listening and pretend to be interested. The honest thing to do is to say that I'm not interested/don't care what they are talking about.

jbcarioca and DanJ like this.
  2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    While honesty is the best policy, you need to be considerate of how your honesty will impact others. Being honest would mean saying, yes those jeans make your butt look big! They do not want to hear it and you can find a more tactful way to tell them they look fine. Their butt looks big in everything, you know it and they do too, but saying so is just insensitive.

I like honesty, however, you should speak the truth in love.

3. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife wants me to be honest, but when she asks "Do these jeans make my butt look big", she doesn't actually want me to say "no, your butt makes the jeans look big". LOL

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    when it matters, then yes I do like it when people are compeltely honest

2soonold, jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In that case, Willie, I have to honestly tell you that you should add a spell checker to your browser. :eek:

6. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honesty requires much more tact. When someone is telling you a story you really have no interest in, perhaps it is best to just listen, and depart as soon as it is possible. If it becomes an issue (i.e. the person keeps telling these long, drawn-out stories,) a tactful discussion is necessary.

2soonold and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    a perfect example, of course I expect that from YOU! :D (and thanks, I don't know what was going on this morning but my fingers just were not working well, getting old I suppose). Does MP offer a spell checker?

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you're using IE, download IESpell.
    If you're using Firefox, and you speak the 'merican dialect, download United States English Spellchecker.
    For better languages, see this site for a range of Firefox spellcheckers.

If you use Safari, sorry, you're lost in the Jungle.
    If you use Chrome, you were born with a silver spoon, and you have someone else to type for you.
    If you use Opera, you can just sing to your computer and it will type for you.
    If you use Bolt, you've already got it all locked down.
    If you use SeaMonkey, then just call Chimpy and he'll translate everything into Australian for you.

miles and smiles and jbcarioca like this.
  9. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To answer the OQ. No.

But I distinctly dislike dishonest people.

2soonold and jbcarioca like this.
  10. annerj
    Original Member

annerj Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a tough one. I try to be as honest as possible and have found that it takes a lot of tact.

Most people don't want to hear the truth.

2soonold, jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a large difference between honesty and bluntness;
    There is a large difference between accepting weaknesses in other people and dishonesty;
    Rudeness is not the opposite of dishonesty.

Those points are relevant, I am sure. One can be honest and not be forced to intrude in matters that are not ones responsibility.

Knowing the difference between necessity to stick with principles and knowing how to know what is important, coupled with the commitment to be honorable, but not rude, is fairly close to integrity, I think.

I value truth and honesty, I also value discretion and civility.

miles and smiles and 2soonold like this.
  12. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like it when those around me are more honest than myself.:);):D