Do you have trouble getting "back in the groove"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by techgirl, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I am used to traveling weekly (sometimes multiple times in a week) and so my rollerboard stays partially packed in a corner of my closet at all times. I'm usually pretty good about refilling toiletry bottles when I return and unpack and then waking up the morning I'm leaving and pulling together the clothing I need for the 1-10 days I"m typically leaving for.

I've been at home for the past 16 days due to having three canceled/rescheduled trips as a result of the snow/ice storms in Texas/Northeast/Midwest. And I am having a HORRIBLE time getting packed this morning. What is normally a 5-10 minute job for me has dragged out for over an hour and I'm being incredibly indecisive.

I've found that whenever I have a lapse of 10 or more days between trips, that's when I'm most likely to leave without something critical - or travel with a hodgepodge of mismatched clothing.

Does anyone else have trouble getting back in the groove after a lag in your normal routine?

2. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And if so, what are your tips for snapping back quickly?

3. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) Make a checklist of what you typically need to pack and keep it in your bag or in your closet. If you tend to the OCD side, you can laminate it ( ;) ). Mrsdiver90 does this and she always is well prepared even though she only flies 5 or 6 times a year.

2) I'm a guy and I favor dark clothing, typically black so I don't have the mismatched clothing thing. After all Black is the new, old and eternal Black.

3) An idea regarding mismatched... at least colors. Do you have a seasonal color chart that works best for you? You could have that printed out as a visual cue to help if you are all discombobulated. Of course that won't help when you only pack tennis shoes, mini skirts and tube tops for a business trip.

Lalala likes this.
  4. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have the list of things I typically take. The issue comes to finding matching clothing (and this in a closet that is 80% solid black - but it is possible to load a suitcase full of black and still not have outfits that look right!), make sure said clothing is in appropriate quantities and for the right weather, remembering to grab my favorite sweater, etc.

It's also stupid stuff like forgetting to push my trash carts out or turning the sprinkler timer on. Maybe I need to put those on the list.

5. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ding, ding, ding.... that's a winner.

6. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    But really, to go back to what my point is... packing is not normally something difficult. I can do it in my sleep.

My problem is getting back into my groove and moving at a normal speed when I'm out of my routine. When I'm doing this several times a month and only home a couple of days at a time, it's a breeze. When I'm having to leave after being home for a duration, it's difficult.

A list, even a detailed list, would not help me today.

7. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checklists are the only thing that helps me - a main, regular one, and additions for that trip or circumstance. And I have to force myself to put all notes on one page, not on slips of paper around the house. And starting as early ahead of time as I can push myself to do it, which is hard when I'm feeling so scattered about it.
    I also update my main list when I get home from a trip, often finding during the trip that I left something out -- and I have to keep THOSE notes all in one place too (a small notebook in my purse -not yet techie with this habit).

8. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    My travels take me to different cities usually for 1-2 days each for meetings with various people. I have a standard wardrobe I take for business meeting trips and a standard wardrobe for a mixed event trip that will require business casual as well as business suit. I know it is an easier process for men as a different tie each day can make the same suit look totally different. A standard "uniform" for trips takes much of the thought process out of packing and make it less likely I will forget something.

As to getting out of the groove, life works much better for me when I have deadlines to meet or trips to schedule. If there is nothing pressing me into action, I usually fall into the habit of procrastination and life get all out of whack.

9. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a checklist:
    * Everything I ever took with me on trips
    * Things to do before leaving home (e.g. dispose vegetables before long trips)
    * Expiration dates of credit cards, passport, ESTA etc.

I go through it before every trip, it takes just a few minutes and I almost never forget anything.

10. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same problem after two months of not flying. I felt like a complete Kettle getting ready to go to Zurich in September. I left part of my phone charger in the wall, packed some strange things (no socky things and they are expensive in Switzerland) and felt completely disoriented during my first few hours of actual travel. I'm much better now. Remember, for the most part, you are traveling to first world countries with stores and pharmacies and you have credit cards!

I too have a list, I check it twice. I also have a master list for our house sitter and since I have an enormous garden, most of my anxiety comes in the form of winter storm warnings or extreme heat.

11. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One option is to just treat your house like a hotel and live out of a suitcase! Be warned though, beds don't actually make themselves. After day 3 of me complaining to my cat that housekeeping hadn't made my bed or replaced my used dishes I realized that I was housekeeping (although this did remind me to thank the amazing staff at my regular hotel the following trip).

In all seriousness though, I too have post downtime confusion when trying to get back into travel. I usually just start the process 4 hours earlier in hopes that it gives me enough time to shock my brain back into routine. I find it equally difficult to break my routine and pack for vacation. I consider myself an expert packer when it comes to business but when I try to pack for liesure I turn into a hot mess. My suitcase which can hold 5 days of business travel can barely hold 2 nights of beach front relaxation.

misman likes this.
  12. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That statement describes me SO well!

In the end, it took me three hours to get out of the house this morning (although not all of that was packing time) and I've actually packed for a three week vacation in 20 minutes before, so this was out of character.

But now I travel solidly for the next several weeks so it will be home where I feel out of sorts. ;) In other words, back to normal.