Do you have to use your points before you cancel your card?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jmhuth, Jul 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need clarification on this... I have a Hyatt card that I opened in February... Do I have to use my free nights before I cancel the card next year? I guess I'm wondering how this works to for the AA advantage points that I've accumulated. I don't intend on paying the annual fee when this one comes do in February too & I want to know if I need to use the points before then. Please help! Thanks!

savydog likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally if you are getting program points (AA, Hyatt, etc) they go to the program and stay. But if you are getting card specific program points such as Amex/Chase Sapphire etc. Points you need to use/transfer them prior to canceling the card.

savydog and Mikel like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes if you have a free night or companion flight cert, you do need to use it before cancelling the card. Look at the T&C carefully and also look for conditions such as the requirement that the paid flight be paid for with the card. Also, beware that some airlines--primarily in Asia--require you to show the card at check in that was used to pay for the tickets. For anything that must be booked using a phone number or website associated with the card (such as USBank flexperks flights), you probably should assume that the card account must still be open and used to pay miscellaneous fees.

Mikel likes this.