Do you get Elite Benefits for Bookings on 3rd-party sites?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by OceanTrotter3, Jul 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand that booking through a third-party site, such as Hotels.com does not qualify as GP Eligible Rate, and hence will not earn points/credits for the stay.

But I was wondering if you manage to get your GP# attached to the booking (through a third-party site), will your elite status be recognized? In which case, would you be able to receive benefits (i.e. complimentary stuff)? Or is this a gray "it depends" area?

Thanks!

2. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends if you're lucky or not. In some cases attaching your number might get you the credit and in others it might not. It certainly doesn't hurt to add it to your booking! From personal experience I booked the Westin by Times Square this year through a third party site and I attached my number to the booking and I earned points for the stay only for the food I purchased there - no stay credit and no points for the room but I did earn points for the food I purchased there.

OceanTrotter3 and WilliamQ like this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    You said it... :)

Seems like you are busying yourself with lots of pre-trip research and planning. Delta flights, Hyatt hotel... sounds like a great trip coming up for you
    Enjoy and share your post trip experience here!

OceanTrotter3 likes this.
  4. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Just trying to maximum my mileage. :)

WilliamQ likes this.
  5. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Thanks. I guess I will have to weigh that uncertainty on what I hope to achieve in the end (points/credit or possibly cheaper rate).

6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends... Never had an issue with elite benefits on Virtuoso/AMEX FHR reservations.

OT a bit but added my HHonors # to a reservation made on AMEX Travel's website by contacting the property.

WilliamQ likes this.
  7. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    It would seem that Virtuoso/AMEX FHR are themselves elites, so I'm guessing you won't miss out too much. OTAs such as hotels.com on the other hand is budget-oriented, and assuming the hotel chains had to pay them a certain amount of fee, it would seem less likely that your elite status will be honored. I'm hoping that's not the case, but it sure feels that way.

WilliamQ likes this.
  8. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It might help to know which Hyatt hotels you're considering? My experience has varied by property so other members might be able to share specific experiences for the hotel(s) in question. Have a great trip!

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    I was looking at Hangzhou Hyatt Regency, which price out to USD$150~190 (before tax/fees) on Hyatt, and < USD$140 (before tax/fees) on OTAs.

10. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Good call! I will go through the link you attached to make sure it's eligible. :D

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Points Hound has offered rates that you could "Double Dip" on for quite some time, earn airline miles through them and also get your elite benefits from Hyatt. They're having technical difficulties right now so have disabled that feature but expect to have it back soon.

WilliamQ and MyMiles&Points like this.
  13. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, this is also avkey distinction between Pointshound and Rocketmiles, opportunity to double dip for some properties.

Pizzaman likes this.