Do you follow India-USA fares (on AA, of course!)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Aktchi, Nov 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually purchase USA-India round trips, cash or awards. However, due to complex circumstances, I need to buy a 1-way from India to USA (DEL-ORD) for 02/2013 travel. This is new for me and I don't have any feel for seasonality of these fares.

At present a 1-way ticket is around $8xx. If you have a feel for this route, do you expect the fare to go down in January?

I don't expect you to know the future, just want a gut check.

2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I paid $900 ow last year on AA buying 1 week out for a Jan dep. I had watched for quite some time and it felt like OW never changed. Maybe by a RT from DEL with a far future date you might be able to use if it prices similarly?

3. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. For about a month I have been watching tickets to BOM for December. AA/BA hovered around $1500 RT without any fluctuations.

Finally bought a Prem Econ ticket on VS and upgraded to Upper Class with miles.

4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I forgot to mention that this is not for my own travel but for a family member's, making it impractical to become involved with another person's future travel.

In practice, my options are to buy a ticket at today's prices or wait till January hoping for lower prices after Christmas + New Year peak.

5. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I go to India every year. I have never bought a one way ticket. But in general prices do get lower for Jan travel if booked in late december. For example, last year there was a great fare of ~$1100 RT from SFO to CCU in mid Jan booked around 30 Dec