Do you ever find yourself overwhelmed with FF earning opportunities?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by giggs, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes I wonder if I am going crazy as every new interesting offer ends up moving my fly/stay/drive opportunities. As much as I would like to consolidate, I can't keep myself from pursuing status on many different partners.

2. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, the thrill of the pursuit...
    Why keep yourself from pursuing the opportunities? The more the merrier!

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    With limited vacation time (and ultimately also limited amount of money) I do find it at times challenging to resist the various offers and opportunities and focus my attention on a few programs. With airlines it's relatively easy as I live near an airport that's dominated by one carrier (UA) that I happen to like anyway, so I am not as tempted to pay much attention to Delta or American or... hotels are a different story.

4. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. I find I have to be able to triage things into:
    • Offers from airlines that I fly/collect with in general and hotels at which I stay and
    • Overwhelmingly good offers (the BA cc offer).
    Then I ignore everything else. Otherwise, I would wind up chasing a few miles/points here and a few there and spending a lot of time to build balances of orphan miles.

5. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can be hard for me, especially due to the fact that I am not based in a city with decent UA fares :( For me, I always have to position to SFO, which can cost me a lot more than it would, had I been based in SFO..

I do my best to keep up with the many offers out there, but do have problems with getting the ones that will really benefit me. I missed the offer for 50K UA miles when I got my first MP Chase card, and lost some points when I got my Marriott card.. I've gotten much better at finding these deals, and look forward to finding some better deals with MPT :)

6. As my experience collecting grew I found myself weeding out the low end offers (E-Miles, 100 pts here 300 points there) and concentrate my efforts on offers that provide thousands of miles or points at one time. As far as limiting to just one or two programs, if I use the above strategy I have multiple accounts with enough points to get to the starting point of a great fare or a decent hotel when I arrive. I diversify, diversify, diversify but look for at leat 4 figure and mainly 5 figure points payoffs.

7. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:

Couldn't agree more. I pretty much stay wedded to earning miles on CO soon to be UA - or *A carriers due to being close to EWR. I never fly AA or Delta so don't bother to pursue any of those offers. With the exception that I just applied for the CitiAAdvantage persona and biz cards. I'll do the $8k spend and earn 158k miles. Enough for an F seat to Asia, which will be very useful later in the year when I want to go to Seoul and Bangkok. As I would be spending those $8k anyway, I may as well get something for them, right! If I used my CO PP m/c, I'd only earn 8000 miles, not much good to man nor beast in isolation.

Hotels - sadly, I have little control over these. Clients usuall book me into hotels, and so I've never really been able to stay enough nights in one chain to gain status. So, I decided to focus on Hyatt for my status and get it on my own dime.

8. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny, I'm just now starting to expand my focus. For the past few years I've been focused solely on CO and SPG. Now I'll consider other offers if they are compelling enough. However I try to balance those against my loss of miles on CO or stays/nights at SPG to determine whether they are useful for me.

9. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    If I can earn miles for around a penny each (or half a penny for Delta miles), I'll jump on an opportunity. The key is to hit the best deals hard since they might not last long. If there's an opportunity to earn miles for less than a cent (with little effort), it'll probably end soon. Some deals stick around for awhile if some effort (or the government) is involved (like ordering coins).

The reason I jump on great deals is that I never know when I'll need a ton of miles. I jumped on two of the 100k AA CCs since that was a great deal, not because I had an immediate need for AA miles. However, those extra miles allowed me to jump on the recently released QF J award space on the new route from Dallas to Australia. I was able to get J tickets for my whole family, and that would not have been possible if I stopped collecting AA miles once my account hit a certain level.

Wanaflyforless likes this.
  10. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with rick, I mainly focus on the lucrative deals as well these days.

11. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're in a good market, I don't doubt the offers can be overwhelming. On the other had, head out somewhere where there are few mileage credit cards, no local offers, and soon enough you're gasping…

sendaiben likes this.
  12. I have found that lurking around in forums that you may not frequent too often can be very useful as most of the best promos tend to be at the top of the forums most times. It is how I discovered some of the Priority Club promos and found that I could earn points for several nights very easily with almost no effort - I definitely like pursuing those opportunities!

13. Overwhelmed? No. It's the chase that keeps me young :) I pursue any promo that will net me a large amount of miles/points w/out too much effort or exorbitant annual fees. Keep in mind that even if AA is not your primary choice of metal, you can rack up hundreds of thousands of AA miles on CC signups as of late and convert those to Hilton points (someone correct me if that has changed). Yes, the HIlton points are worth what they were a year or 2 ago, but still, they add up.

It's an addictive hobby--as recently as last night I was high fiving my wife as we were instantly approved for another set of Hilton cards. Ah, the joy of the chase.

Also, I find some people overwhelmed w/tracking the miles. My first question to them is, do you have a hard time keeping track of all your money? Probably not (good problem to have, I guess). Sign up for awardwallet--best way to track miles/points, bar none.

14. SocialAdept
    Original Member

SocialAdept Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being based at GOT I am usually frustrated by superb deals that I am unable to take advantage of. 95% of all my point/mile gain comes from international travel so luck rather than choice has more to do with me making use of many deals found on here or FT.. The Swedish hotel market in particular is depressing with very few hotels belonging to the major international brands .

15. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. I'm new to the game, and I suspect the reason I don't find as many offers as I would like is because I am more selective about the programs I join. Afterall, I do have enough money to travel as I want, so ff is a hobby for me.[​IMG]

16. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    When it comes to the low end offers, I've begun to weigh the "price" of giving out personal info for a few miles. We all have junk email addresses and temp CC #'s, but sometimes it's just not worth it. BTW, thanks Rick for your blog -- it's great to get a jumpstart on the larger offers you highlight.

17. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like living in Japan? Out here, a 5,000 mile bonus on a credit card is good [​IMG]

18. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the hardest things is the amount of followup I found I had to do, when points or miles did not post on time or posted incorrectly. I improved my record keeping along the way, to back up my claims, but it still can be time consuming to monitor, and to go after the errors. I realized eventually that small bonuses aren't worth chasing unless they post instantly or take very little effort (Priority Club surveys for example). The online blogs and forums are the best way for me to keep up with offers, and to be signed up for bonus opportunity emails from the programs I care most about.