Do you earn miles/$ when using GC through Shopping Portal?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by OceanTrotter3, Jul 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a $200 Sears GC that I'm looking to use through United's shopping portal. Just wondering if that transaction will earn any miles/$? Or does it have to be cc spending to earn that rate?

Thanks!

2. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The frequentmiler has a blog that has a laboratory where readers have posted their experiences with various portals here http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/laboratory/ . Looking at the portal it doesn't specifically mention earming points through giftcard spend at united portal but it does mention getting points through that portal for buying giftcards from sears and getting points with other giftcards. My personal experience would suggest that if you use a sears giftcard through the portal you should defintely earn united milage points.

boondr and OceanTrotter3 like this.
  3. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used Sears Gift Cards on a large purchase through Mr. Rebates and have received the cashback from the site, when using the gift cards to buy a bed.

I can't speak about experience with UA's MileagePlus portal or other portals.

OceanTrotter3 likes this.
  4. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Nice find, thanks! I came across that 'lab' before but have never used it.

Although, rather than buying Sears GC from the portal, I'm trying to spend GC through the portal. Not sure if that will earn any miles though.

5. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    That's good to know. Is the cash back based on the amount paid with GC?

6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mr. Rebates gave cashback based on the whole purchase--- including gift card--- and the remaining balance paid with credit card.

In other words, my experience with Mr. Rebates using a Sears gift card to pay for most of the purchase, resulted in the entire purchase being eligible for cash back.

Again, I can't speak from experience about other portals.

It's a gamble--- you may do better, or you may get nothing at all. Again, as lapointdm said, you might consider consulting the laboratory of FrequentMiler [my purchase was not logged in his lab for data].

OceanTrotter3 likes this.
  7. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Thanks!

8. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you will earn United miles through the United shopping portal. The United shopping portal doesn't require you to use a United branded credit card or even a credit card at all. I use my Chase Ink card, buy gift cards at office supplies stores and then use those gift cards at United's shopping portal all the time to make purchases at Nordstrom, REI, etc. That way, I double dip on miles by earning Ultimate Rewards points for my purchases at the office supplies stores and then earn miles from the shopping portals.

It's a win win.

But I thought you were a Delta guy? Always check with the other airlines' shopping portals. Sometimes, one will offer more miles per dollar spent than the others.

daninstl and OceanTrotter3 like this.
  9. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Thanks, that clarification is really helpful.

Haha... I was (am)! But I've just burnt a good chunk of my DL miles for a N.Asia RT. So now I'm just topping up some UA miles from my sign-up bonus. (Hope that made sense..)

10. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the rates are variable with every rewards portal site, and sometimes change every few days, for future purchases you might see if you'd earn more from MyPoints than directly using the MileagePlus Shopping portal. You can then redeem MyPoints for United Mileage Plus miles.

Right now you'd be better using the UA Mileage Plus site, but that's not always the case.

If you're not a member of MyPoints, I would be happy to refer you, as we both get a bonus if you sign up via my referral. Send me a PM if you're interested. :)

11. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Sorry, I've already registered back in April. But I haven't had a chance to use it yet, so this is good to know. :)

12. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I'm not that loyal to one program that if another is offering way better rebates or miles. I use evrewards and others to search for the best deal by store.