Do You Believe That Airline Customer Service is Better Performed While Standing Up or Sitting Down?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Canarsie, Sep 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Do you believe that customer service is better performed standing up or sitting down?

Poll closed Sep 15, 2011.
  1. I prefer customer service when the agent or representative performs it while standing up.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. I prefer customer service when the agent or representative performs it while sitting down.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. It depends — I will post details of what I mean in this thread.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. It does not matter to me either way — standing, sitting, whatever...

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would it change your perception of the customer service you received from an airline representative — such as a ticket agent, gate agent, airline club lounge agent, etc. — if that person was seated versus standing while providing you with customer service? Do you prefer one method over the other? Why? Or does it even matter?

Please post your thoughts in this discussion. Thank you.

secretsea18 likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few carriers - including several gulf-based carriers - have check in situations where both the agent and pax sit (for premium cabin pax). I like this a lot.

The ticketing counters at JFK t7 (distinct from the check in counters) are sit-sit, too.

I also like when premium pax have private check in areas - like qf's f check in room in Mel.

The experience somehow feels different when sitting. Not unlike some higher end luxury hotels (ph in syd, for example) - which also offer sit-sit service.

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that common courtesy should rule here. If the customer is standing then the CSR should stand. As others have pointed out, the Sit/Sit is very nice and more personable.
    It is well known in Restaurants, that the way for a waiter to get a slightly better tip is to squat down so they are eye to eye with the customer. (but Servers should never pull up a chair and sit)

cennas and Scottrick like this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate being waited on. If I talk to someone in customer service (waiter, gate agent, whatever) it's because I want something, want it now, and am done once I have it. I'm not usually interested in a conversation or drawing things out longer than usual. Standing suits me fine. If I'm checking into a hotel or for a flight, I should hand them my ID and get my boarding pass or room key in return. 5 minutes or less. If I have questions, I'll come back.

bonnerbl likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with this.

I find it mire hospitable in the sit/sit situation.

There is some risk of things lingering if you sit - particularly at hotels. Body language can usually communicate your desire to linger or not.

6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually have no preference for either, as long as the agent can do the job well then I'm fine with him/her standing up or sitting down.

Although I agree with Mapsmith that as a common courtesy it'd be nicer if the agent is also standing when I'm standing.

I find that in Asia more often than not the airline agent will be sitting and the customers will be standing, unless it's the sit/sit premium service offered by some airlines.

7. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sitting or standing, all I require is to be served promply, respectfully and efficiently. Nothing more....nothing less.

bonnerbl likes this.
  8. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    If someone can do their job more quickly and efficiently while seated, that's fine with me.

Interesting thing though, if I'm working a booth at a trade show I'll make it a point to stand, along with trying to not have a physical barrier such as a table between me and the crowd. It never ceases to amaze to see guys sitting behind a table in a booth with body language that suggests the only thing on their mind is how long before they can close up and hit the hospitality room.

cennas and MSPeconomist like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I notice in a lot of small upscale stores, especially overseas, employees are apparently required to stand up whenever someone enters. At times it feels embarrassing.

N965VJ likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do your feet feel after a day of standing in a booth? As a mostly seated office worker, if I end up with booth duty, I definitely like my "seating" breaks. But yes, sitting the entire time or when interacting with potential customers who walk by is not the right thing.

Back on topic, though: a customer service agent behind a counter dealing with misconnects and flight changes is probably a lot more comfortable typing/working while seated. It doesn't bother me to stand in front of that counter; I just want to get outa there as soon as possible.

A check-in agent who needs to tag bags etc. might not get to sit very much, unless the airport is set up appropriately (eg Frankfurt). Good ergonomics should ultimately matter.

cennas likes this.
  11. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    In some countries, they actually have employees protection rules that allow for sitting (when applicable). I think the comfort of the employee helps the quality of the service. If you wish to keep employees within eye contact, you can get the tall (aka-bar) chairs for the CS staff in front desks (check in counters, etc.).

GA, due to the nature of their work, are more likely to prefer (have to) stand most of the time.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maye its my American nature but I agree with milchap. Just handle the business quickly, efficiently, and get me on my way. Sit, stand, whatever it takes. If I could checkin quickly at a kiosk I would do it every time.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious if the OP wrote this post sitting or standing? The answer will influence my vote. :D

SC Flier and PhlyingRPh like this.