Do we need to go back into our reservations and put in AA accounts?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by enichols22124, Apr 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if we need to go back and change reservations that have our US Air, and change them to AA accounts?

Depending on the plane now, I would want to give US AIr on US Air metal so I get upgraded correctly, and AA numbers on AA metal so I can get a chance at an upgrade, I think.

Otherwise what happens to me now is when on AA metal, I have to manually go and ask to be put on the list, and get sent to the bottom of a very large standby upgrade list, so there is really no chance.

daninstl likes this.
  2. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, now all AAdvantage elite members are supposed to have unlimited auto-requested upgrades on US flights, so if your primary concern is upgrades I would be less concerned about that. If anything, I would be more worried about crediting USAir miles to a "dead" account - now that the program merge is complete they will probably be deactivating the DM system before long and you don't want your miles floating away into space, which is something I would consider a real risk if you change your number back to DM after they change it to AA for you. You can always go in and add your AA number on your own, too.

As far as adding your AAdvantage number to your reservations:

From their website: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#DM

Guide for Dividend Miles members
    Welcome to the AAdvantage program
    We're in the process of transferring your mileage balance and elite-qualifying activity on a one-to-one ratio into a new (or existing) AAdvantage account.

• You can find your new AAdvantage number on aa.com, usairways.com or in an email from American.

• If you matched your Dividend Miles and AAdvantage accounts, we’ll send you an email when your accounts have been combined.
    About your AAdvantage account:
    • Log in to aa.com and usairways.com to edit your profile, flight notifications and to check your preferences.

• You can see your balance and status on aa.com and usairways.com, but you should go to usairways.com to see any Dividend Miles activity through March 25, 2015.

• We’ll automatically update reservations booked on American and US Airways with your AAdvantage number. For reservations on oneworld or other partner airlines, please call the airline to update your AAdvantage number.

--------------------------------------And in regards to upgrades:----------------------------------

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/arriving.jsp#faqs

Complimentary and 500-mile upgrades
      I'm a Dividend Miles Preferred member who will become AAdvantage Gold or Platinum. When can I begin requesting upgrades on eligible American Airlines flights?
      As soon as your AAdvantage account reflects your AAdvantage Gold or Platinum status, you can begin requesting upgrades on eligible American Airlines flights. You’ll receive an email from us once this is done. Just make sure your AAdvantage number is present in your reservation to request an upgrade.

I’m a non-elite status member and requested an upgrade on a Y/B fare prior to this new policy taking effect. Will you honor my request?
      No, when the new policy takes effect, non-elite status members will no longer be eligible to upgrade unless they are the companion of an elite status member. Upgrade requests that are not in line with the new policy will not be processed.

daninstl, Sammich and Newscience like this.
  3. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see your point, I'll have to tinker with some of my flights to see what happens. So far, this merger has not really done anything positive for me. I've never been able to make an upgrade on AA, and I can barely get anything to work in US Air's system when I put in the AA number. Lets see how it works now that it is merged. Even the simple things like lounge access was very strange, hit and miss.

daninstl likes this.
  4. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm PLT and I have had decent luck on US flights - about 50% upgraded if memory serves. A little better than AA of late.

flyforawg likes this.