Do we need "non human" members here?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by vbroucek, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Should NewsFeeds be allowed as members of MP?

Poll closed Feb 27, 2011.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

78.6%
  3. Only if relevant

21.4%
  1. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am confused about the purpose of having here newsfeed members. One example is NileGuide. I am particularly concerned about the appropriatness of the posts. What does for example this post to do with MilePoin?

2. squeakrad
    Original Member

squeakrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    can they win prizes??? :)

3. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't realise they were news feeds and complained. (How embarrasing![​IMG]) Luckily that nice Mikel set me to rights.

My objection to them is that they clog some forums with completely irrelevant, and often outdated, stuff. (Just look at the Africa forum to see what I mean.) I feel that the best stuff on IBB's is "pulled" i.e. folks express an interest and others volunteer relevant information. Stuff that's "pushed" risks being nothing better than spam and from what I've seen it has been woefully indiscriminate.

I could (sort of) see the value initially to populate some forums with topics. But I'll be happy to see them disappear altogether or get banished to their own little corner. Then the occasional gems can be brought into the mainsteam when someone finds them truly interesting.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think the idea is a way to quickly fill this place with content. However, they should be restricted to Concourse Z, where they are clearly labeled as what they are.

5. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least that one got some responses. Most of them are so irrelevant nobody would bother to respond. Spam, as I've said.

But you do raise a good point about contextual relevance. The fact that that took place in Italy does not mean it is best suited to the Europe board.