Do we need a PC promotion code thread?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by ag51, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suggest the answer is yes, but is it better to wait for the promised wikis for this sort of thing - could anyone in the know about the tech design of the site comment? I believe that posts won't be editable in the future after the 5 minute grace period, so a sticky of the sort that is on Flyertalk wouldn't really work.

I also wonder whether/how that list should be policed - IMO, there are too many examples on FT of people just writing a script and posting every code that appears to be accepted, even when the description for many of them makes it clear that they aren't current. The list of codes on the FT sticky has grown enormously over the last couple of years but the quality has fallen, it probably contains only a handful of current ones - a newcomer to the site who had never registered for a code before could work their way through all of those codes, and end up disappointed with what they actually receive (and many seem to). The most reliable codes are those posted by people who have actually received them from PC by email.

Or is trying to keep the list up-to-date a thankless task? When codes post, it can be difficult to work out what they were in some cases.

Comments welcome.

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would love to have a reliable list of current codes. That would be great :D

Right now it takes me about 20 minutes every time I stay to re-punch them all in from the FT bloat-list :confused:

KIXman likes this.
  3. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ideally yes, we could use a list here on MP too if MP is to become a site that people want to go to for valuable info about the program. The problem will be that it will may be relying on input from FT at the beginning, until we can get critical mass here on this site and people start contributing more here.
    With regards to the editing of the top post bit once you get silver status on MP you can edit past posts outside the 5 minute limit.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it would be a good idea. This community is growing at a rapids rate so contributers should not be an issue. Converting the information for Wiki should be minimal also.

straitman likes this.
  5. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it is a good idea.

I think the issue with the current list is that where the code was discovered by just typing in numbers, the T&C's are unknown.

Another impression I have, is that there are less promotions than there used to be. Or maybe it's just that less of them work for me!

6. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There have been a few posts since Christmas with new codes that seem to work for most people, that could become the basis of a new thread - but what's the etiquette on just copying info posted on Flyertalk? I know that once it's there it is in the public domain, but it somehow doesn't feel quite right to me.

7. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    There certainly seem to be fewer new promotions. The number of promotions run in the UK is woeful compared to the States, but fortunately most of the codes have worked for UK based PC members in the past.

It take it that http://www.priorityclubinsider.com/all-current-points-offers/ has gone a bit quiet lately to be a sign of the times.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  8. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think there is are any etiquette rules right now, but it would be nice to differentiate this site from FT. In that sense as sendaiben has posted above, one good way to do so would be to have a more reliable list of current promo codes.

9. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good idea. I usually get my codes from PC Insider as well and then check out FT to see if I have missed anything. I would support and contribute to a thread here. I am hopeful the use of wiki's will help simplify this process. I guess waiting a few more weeks for the "go live" day will not hurt.

10. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on the notice posted here http://milepoint.com/forums/pages/notice/ looks like we will be seeing the integration of the wiki's very soon.

New enhancements will be added soon and there will be some downtime this weekend.

11. agreed, current codes only but maybe have two lists differentiating the old from the new, so new members who haven't seen the old codes could work from both lists

12. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a room this weekend at a HIX but am not actually staying there. I went through the list of Promo Codes on FT and www.priorityclubinsider.com and attempted to input all codes listed that might apply to my stay. I will list the codes that appear to work after my points update in a few day.

Chimpy and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  13. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that this would be a good idea.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  14. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might be good just to start from scratch as well....instead of going over all the old codes etc and making sense out of them.

Chimpy likes this.
  15. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wiki seems perfect for this, as it's a bit of an ordeal for any one person to maintain

Chimpy likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may have already seen this or be otherwise aware of it, but some forums have been wiki-enabled for testing. For example, head over to the Hyatt forum and have a look at the wiki (click on "Hyatt Hotels Help Guide" above the list of threads). It's pretty easy to maintain. And I think it's great for maintaining reference information like promo codes.

Tim O'Brien and Chimpy like this.
  17. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree - I'm a little frustrated that we don't have the same facility yet in all of the forums (and unfortunately have lost a bit of my enthusiasm for creating some content for the wikis on the IHG forum).

18. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming I work for priority club what do you think my recommendation would be should I see promotion codes posted all over this thread/forum?

19. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be thrilled that so many travelers will be staying at your properties because they have found a useful promotion code. Otherwise, they may be staying with the competitors.

20. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If Priority Club really don't want people to use codes that they haven't been sent individually, then it would be really easy for them to set up their systems to do that (as many other airline and hotel loyalty schemes already do - BA, for example, know exactly which promos I'm entitled to register for) - as Westsox says, the codes only work when you actually stay so IHG are potentially getting more business from me than they otherwise would.

You are also able to say that you heard about the promo code from a 'Chat Room/Blog' when signing up, so they are obviously aware that it happens.

sendaiben and Tim O'Brien like this.
  21. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always say, 'referred by friend', which seems to me harder for them to be negative about (I mean, who can criticise a friend giving you a useful code?) [​IMG]

KIXman likes this.
  22. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    And yeah, given how spotty the program is compared to others, I probably wouldn't use them if they didn't have these great points promos -instead they get most of my business [​IMG]

Gargoyle and KIXman like this.
  23. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until we get a wiki, a thread is the best thing. Especially if we can get it stickied.

24. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    Despite the fact that it wins almost all of the awards every year?

25. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't get me wrong, it's great for what it is, but would you take PC Plat over Hyatt Diamond? I will never get top status in any of the better programs, so I'm glad I can get Plat in, like, five single night stays, but I don't think the benefits compare :D

miles and smiles, Gargoyle and KIXman like this.