Do tiny expensive bottles of water in restaurants irritate you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by jbcarioca, Apr 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    In another thread excelsior and I were having a bit of repartee on this subject. Both of us are irritated by this practice. The tiny imported bottles of still water in expensive restaurants in Sao Paulo were and excelsior objection, and I can add dozens of places around the world.

There are a few excellent places that serve filtered tap water and do not charge extra for that. Maybe we can applaud those here.

There are others like Bistro da Escola in Rio de Janeiro that offer imported still water, Panna in this case, and let you pay $20 or more for the privilege of drinking the stuff. At the other extreme come those places such as Olympe in Rio again, where they'll serve you filtered tap water without noticeable objection.

So, please offer your views.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't really disagree with the restaurant charging for water. They at some level do pay for it. I think in the states we are spoiled by the fact that water is generally complimentary. But I've been in many countries where they simply don't do that and it is their version of normal, just as free water in the states is our version of normal. IMHO when one goes into a restaurant, you have to be willing to play by their policies. I remember a few occasions where I had to pay for ice for my soda because typically soda is traditionally served warm in many places. It's way too easy for us to travel abroad and assume/expect that our way is their way. I think that's where part of the "ugly American" stereotype comes from. I'm notsaying I necessarily agree, but when you Are playing in someone else's sandbox, you generally need to follow their policies and traditions.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    744 has a point, but even here in Brazil, where bottled water is almost always offered at fairly high prices there is a campaign to use purified tap water, positioning this on the basis of ecological benefit. Obviously an imported campaign :http://www.conscienciacomciencia.co...nte-beba-agua-na-jarra-projeto-da-ong-igtiba/
    Drink Water in the restaurant Vase - Project of the NGO Igtiba

Watching today's Echo Reporter program which I love, I met the Water Project in the vase , an initiative of the NGO - Igtiba, a nonprofit organization, which proposes to replace the consumption of bottled water by use of water treated and purified. The restaurants participating in the vase water initiative undertake to sell in their shops, preferably, purified and treated water served in pitchers.Businesses, events and consumers in general can also join the initiative by adopting the water treated and purified served in reusable as their preferred option of consumption.
    [​IMG]

Thus we fail to generate a huge amount of waste and pollutants will contribute to creating a lifestyle more responsible and sustainable. Furthermore, we propose to measure the amount of bottles that are being "saved" by the Initiative.
    Objectives
    - Get the accession of the largest possible number of consumers, restaurants, events and businesses to the Water Initiative in the Jar.
    - To promote cultural change in water consumption and preference for establishments participating in the Initiative.
    - Involve the participants of the Initiative in a joint effort to seek solutions that are less harmful to the environment.
    Learn the history of bottled water. Watch the video which is part of Story of Stuff Project:

It's very simple change :
    The treated water is purified and of excellent quality. It is a product that already consume in our day to day in preparing our food, coffees, juices, ice, drinks, etc.. I consider it a charm to have water in the jar in a restaurant, many countries already use this approach, moreover, this attitude makes companies responsible for Water Treatment in the municipalities have responsibility doubled with respect to treating water to be consumed by the population and the commitment of all in doing regular maintenance and cleaning of the water!
    This project should be taken to all municipalities and associations reustaurantes from Brazil!
    Source: The Water Jug and yet ↓ CLICK HERE and watch the program in full reporting Echo Reporter

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    If no other beverages were being consumed then maybe ... but if you have already paid for other beverages, a single glass of water is not going to break the bank and should be offered.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And then they serve the fancy imported water with ice cubes made from tap water, negating any "benefit" from the upscale fluid.

Freddie Listo, kaka, techgirl and 6 others like this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find the waiters/waitresses who roll their eyes when you request tap water to be as annoying.

I think tap water should be an option at restaurants, where potable or if there is a filtered water option. I prefer not to drink bottled water. Most places in NA use plastic and unless there is good recycling program, those bottles will end up in landfill. The issue of bisphenol A (BPA) in plastics is another issue.

7. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Especially in areas where the tap water is of known good quality. There are plenty of published and Internet resources talking about cities like Madison WI, Fresno CA, NYC etc., which have very high quality sources for their tap water.

8. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Brazil what is particularly intriguing (certainly in every restaurant bar Bodega this side of the gini coefficient in Brasilia, all the seaside eateries in Ipanema Leblon and copacabana in Rio, ditto Salvador) is that you can only buy small bottles of water!

On the airine side do people remember that the 747s used to have water fountains at the back in economy? Wonder what happened to those since I do not fly economy any more Will check next time Im on a 747.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Small place I go to in Toronto (in the Manulife Centre - do not recall the name now) has bottled water and in glass bottles ... so refillable... nice idea.

10. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im joining this campaign Especially in Brazil which has the largest supply of potable fresh water per capita in the world!

11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because this thread happened because of excelsior and me debating, I must add a pitch for the only restaurant i know of in Rio de Janeiro that does not even serve bottled water. This one D.R.I. in Shpping da Gavea is a quite nice place anyway. They serve filtered water in glass containers, serving it to all tables who accept water. For that reason, and others, I go there often.
    http://www.driculinaria.com.br/dri/ambiente.htm
    [​IMG]

Freddie Listo and excelsior like this.
  12. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Next time I am in Rio and you are in town lets meet up there!

Freddie Listo and jbcarioca like this.
  13. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

I'm on one next week, but it is a far walk to get to the back. Don't know if 9 hours will be enough time to get back there!

jbcarioca and excelsior like this.
  14. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    If its full, probably not... And if you are upstairs do take into account the long uphill climb as well

Lufthansa Flyer and jbcarioca like this.
  15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    thats right, that narrow staircase will cause further delays....:D. I will walk among the sheeple if I can and report back.

excelsior and jbcarioca like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, and the water will be on me!!

excelsior and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe there is a better way. You can send back a minion. I would not go back there myself, and I cannot recommend it for you. BTW, I did that on my last trip in an Airbus 380 just to see how the slumdwellers were doing. It was not pretty at all and I will not go back. Frankly FC is barely good enough, and C is only survivable if penury threatens. It is not worth that just to find out what polluted water they must drink back there :cool:

excelsior and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  18. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    you're right. I might catch something back there. Maybe I'll just ask the flight attendant and take her word as fact. I've heard that sometimes those that go back to the "slumdwellers":) are never heard from again.

excelsior and jbcarioca like this.
  19. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    And tell her to wash her hands when she returns to wait over you hand and foot, too!

jbcarioca and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  20. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting topic which I often have discussed with family, colleagues or clients when I've been dining.

I have still to hear anyone that only want to drink water from Italy or France, when dining on a different continent. It is such a waste of CO2 to transport those bottles, especially since the most fancy pancy of the water bottles are glass bottles.

I feel so ashamed if I am dining in USA for instance and they serve water from Europe. I am not a fan of tap water in the USA because of the chloride added, but there must be natural springs in the US where water can be tapped. Heck, even on Hawaii I was drinking San Pellegrino in glass bottles from Italy because that was the only option in many Restaurants - embarrassing.

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyway there is purified tap water in use for soft drink machines and icemakers in most restaurants, so availability of purified tap water is really quite good. \the question usually is whether the restaurant is willing to forego the absurd profits from bottled water.

22. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    If enough people boycott it, maybe :)

Here is a quote from a Restaurant owner when the debate was also running in Denmark a few years back:

"We do not want to serve tap water. We're at work and have no time to run around and serve something for free. That's not going to work, if people come to drink a glass of wine of the cheapest kind and otherwise will drink free water the rest of the evening and sit and waste our rent, "says Marcus Skjoldager.
    freely translated from http://ibyen.dk/restauranter/ECE355358/restauranter-naegter-at-servere-gratis-vand/

General consensus here now is that tap water is available for free if you have bought wine, but not for free if you haven't bought anything to drink - but you can buy tap water at a lower price.

23. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the better San Francisco restaurants offer either flat or sparkling purified water in carafes for free. It is a great gesture and I along with many of my friends tend to appreciate the service and frequent those establishments more often.

canucklehead and jbcarioca like this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is an important thing to know given your handle:D

excelsior and Fiji like this.
  25. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a racket. I wish I had just a small percentage of those profits.

jbcarioca likes this.