Do suite upgraded stays not earn points?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by jpripcord, Mar 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I stayed in a hotel in Chicago on Tuesday night and "award" has posted to my account, instead of points for the night.

Now this was a paid stay where I used my upgrade cert as a diamond (first time doing so).

I had a few complaints about the room (which i have yet to voice to Hyatt), but i was first waiting for the stay to post before calling up.

Is this expected behavior?

2. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh yeah, while we're at it, the room I stayed in looked like the prior guest had been murdered there.

The door was absolutely smashed in:
    [​IMG]

I'm fairly new to Hyatt, as I'm making the jump from Marriott Plat to Hyatt Diamond. Am I just being overly sensitive? Is this something that is normal and I should expect this kind of decor at Hyatt hotels?

3. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received stay credit for the ones I have used upgrades on.

4. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also received points.

5. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got points on upgrades.

Why didn't u complain to customer service at the hotel about the door?

YULtide likes this.
  6. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be honest, I got in very late from a business meeting, and had work to do in my room.

In an ideal world, I would have called down and talked to a manager about it, I just didn't have the time to go through the whole process. I snapped a quick picture, and went about my business.

To be honest, I might not have even shown the picture or made a fuss about it, had my points posted and that aspect of the stay went smoothly.

Also, this is something that is painfully obvious. Housekeeping and anyone else who ever entered the room would be well aware of the smashed in door. I couldn't have been the first person to notice the problem, so it seemed to me like the hotel was aware, and thought it to be acceptable.

7. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have reported this right off, no matter how late it was, if only for the fact that I wouldn't want to end up being blamed for the damage. I'm not sure which hotel this was, and I've stayed at a fair amount of Hyatt's now. I've never come across something like that.

8. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "award" posts just acknowledging you used the upgrade cert or had an award stay of any kind. You get points yet for the stay after the stay is completed. It will post separately on your account info. My recent stays in NYC posted a day after the "award" posted. And then I received 4000 bonus points as part of the promo:D out there just now

9. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes points fail to post. A call to customer service line will take care of the problem. As a Marriott elite, I am used to points and charges posting correctly, so it took me some time to accept the fact that I need to watch my statement much closer with Hyatt. Your mileage may vary.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would worry that the damaged door would make it too easy for someone to break into the room and there would be a murder, or at least theft of your belongings.

11. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    That damaged door is absolutely dreadful. I would have called the desk about it regardless of how tired I was, but then that may just be me. What Hyatt is this?

12. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    From a cosmetic standpoint, no you are not being overly sensitive. It simply looks horrible. And no, this is not standard Hyatt decor.

However, these are solid core fire doors in steel frames and the damage is limited to the thin wood veneer laminate over the solid core. One can see how the door was out of square with the frame and had been rubbing along the door frame. Putting on a CSI lens, one can also see the impact point that took out the veneer. Given the location and shape, it is likely that the round connection point to the door chain was not left hanging or in its holder on the frame and was looped over the holder allowing its edge to fall just inside of the frame. As frequent travelers trying to sleep through the night, we have all experienced how fast and with how much force, doors in hotels can close. With a door that is already tight to the frame encountering a dense piece of brass while swinging closed, the weak spot for damage will be as it crosses to the veneer that is perpendicular to the direction of the force.

In short, without a chainsaw or an axe (and a bit of time) it would still take a truck to smash through that door - and the lock would likely be the point of failure then. And rest assured, the screws on the chain holder go into the solid core, and do not rely on the veneer.

However, for non-safety reasons, I would notify the front desk to eliminate the possibility of a damage charge and would mention it again on checkout.