Do Resort Fees Cause you to Change Hotels?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by TRAVELSIG, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Do Resort Fees Cause you to Change Hotels/Cancel Reservations?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2011.
  1. Yes- I don't like the practice as it should be included in the rate

40 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Yes- because I am an elite member and should not have to pay such fees

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. No- because I like the hotel anyway

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. No- because I think they are a good value as opposed to paying the fees separately

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No- I am a hotel revenue manager so they are great

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today I cancelled a Hotel Reservation as it was a city hotel and they have started adding a resort fee. Here is a poll- is this a "one off" or are others following the same thinking (Yes or No).

Daringdoo and aitchly like this.
  2. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I just "voted" No - I like the hotel anyways. While I don't like the practice - I look at it as part of the total "cost" of the stay - and if it's within what I'm willing to pay for the hotel (vs the competitors) anyways, it's ok.

travelingmore and Kaanapali like this.
  3. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate the resort fee practice. I always ask for it to be waived, sometimes I get it, sometimes I dont, sometimes they just reduce it. But I've never changed hotels because of it.

travelingmore likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting point- however why does the hotel just not include it in the rate? What will be next- "Airport Surcharge?", "Proximity to Monument fee?"

Daringdoo likes this.
  5. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly what I do - bundle it all together into one "cost ".

travelingmore likes this.
  6. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    A resort fee should always be included in the price IF you cannot opt out of it. They try to state that you get XYZ for the fee but I don't want those things so I should be able to opt out. If I cannot opt out of it then it should be part of the price.
    Vegas has gotten especially bad with resort fees from $15-30 per day for most properties. Most of us going there are going for fun and don't need to pay that money for internet access, free phone service, etc.

The fees are one reason I haven't been to Vegas for over a year. Usually I go 2-3 times a year. When I do go back it will be one of the non-resort fee properties.

Daringdoo likes this.
  7. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I do alot of bidding on Priceline and there is little disclosure (they disclose that some properties charge resort fees up to $40/day and are not included in the total charges. [​IMG] I have been lucky so far and not had any yet. [​IMG]

I would rather have them included in their base price but I know the hotels want you to see the lower price before add ons.

8. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I haven't stayed in Vegas since I did the free 4 day/3 night Tahiti Village timeshare presentation back in 2005. I asked to be in the Southpoint hotel (their usual choices were not as nice) and I liked the hotel. As far as I know, they charge no resort fees. (at least that was what one of their past e-mails said).

9. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they list it as a separate fee it should also be optional. So either include it in the rate or let people opt out of the "benefits."

Daringdoo and TRAVELSIG like this.
  10. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate the idea of a resort fee, but I will pay it if it actually includes stuff that I am going to use. For example, in Vegas, some resort fees include wifi and admissions to the fitness center/spa, both of which I would be paying for to use anyways.

What kills me are the resort fees which include free local calls (really, you won't charge me to make a local phone call) and one bottle of water. Lame.

11. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'll definitely avoid a hotel with "Resort Fees".

Daringdoo and BondAir007 like this.
  12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't mind if it were more clearly optional. I agree that it includes a lot of things I don't want or need. It's deceptive to include it as a separate charge when it's often very hard to figure out exactly how much it is (especially when booking with a third party).

Cholula, Daringdoo and aitchly like this.
  13. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also don't like that resort fees are not usually eligible for loyalty points. Sometimes they're a significant amount of the total cash outlay if I've gotten a good rate, but then no points...

Cholula and Daringdoo like this.
  14. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    i dont think there is any single thing along these lines that would cause me to avoid a place i was planning to go to for some reason.

if anything, i will deal with problematic charges/practices during stay, at checkout, or with credit card company.

real practices/services problems etc or total plant failure could cause me to leave though.

15. In the near future, I can see some hotel promo on a big billboard "Stay with us for ONLY $1 per NIGHT", and in small print letters "daily resort fee of $300 per night applies".

Daringdoo likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Kage- don't you think the charges should be included in the rate if they are mandatory and there is no way to opt out? Also- if all they offer is Internet, Free Local Calls, and "Access to the health club/fitness centre"-how can it be correct to charge an elite member of a hotel program if they already receive the Free Internet and Health Club Access anyway? It is an awful lot of local calls....

17. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was doing an SPG MR in Denver and although the Westin resort had a cheaper rate, I had no problem going south to the Tech area to stay in the Sheraton due to the resort fee.

cockpitvisit and TRAVELSIG like this.
  18. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as the resort fee is clearly disclosed prior to booking, it's just another cost component I consider when selecting a place to stay.

BondAir007 and tw116 like this.
  19. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question: If it is disclosed clearly, and every guest understands this yet has to pay anyway- why are hotels not including it in the rate? Is it, perhaps, because of rates are displayed in the GDS systems and how this reflects in online booking engines? When thinking about transparency in rate- resort fees are moving the wrong direction.

Finally, in French Polynesia I am happy to pay a resort fee. However- Miami? Denver? What type of resort is this?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I voted "Yes- I don't like the practice as it should be included in the rate" -- for a few reasons:

- often the resort fees include stuff I don't want or get for free as an elite anyway.
    - resort fees make it harder to compare prices, since they are not listed when comparison-shopping
    - I generally believe that mandatory services should be included in the advertised price. There is no justification for doing otherwise, it's simply done to mislead potential customers and thus not a practice I can support.

Maybe the folks who recently sued a class-action lawsuit against Hertz and a couple of other car rental agencies in Vegas can tackle the resort fees next.

Daringdoo likes this.
  21. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I really hate is the ones you don't find out about until you check in (or sometimes even check out).

Daringdoo likes this.
  22. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    TRAVELSIG, lets say a property is perfect in literally every way except one, doesnt it seem odd to start talking principled boycotts over a single fee?

now on the other hand, i do consider boycotts over more serious issues like politics etc.

23. 2 weeks coming up in Hawaii.. No Starwoods due to resort fee's.

It's a scam and I won't support it.

Daringdoo likes this.
  24. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    In practice I will avoid properties with resort fees, I have only had to tangle with Vegas so far. In theory I like the fee idea as I believe it circumvents the ever increasing hotel taxes, Cincinnati is ~21%.

kayet likes this.
  25. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    i agree. i'm not going to avoid a hotel i want to stay in because of it.