Do people just not understand FFs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSYgirl, Jan 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    ETA: FFs = frequent flyers, get your mind out of the gutter.

I'm talking about the miles/points/loyalty game we're all here to relish in, chase, and discuss.

Every Christmas since I started this frequent flying game (and it's not easy to obtain status since 50-80% of my statuses/flights are self-paid outside of work), people ask me what I want for Christmas. Every year the answer is the same.

Gift certificates to the airline I use most.

In response the immediate replies are, "No way I'm buying that. It's not a present."

Well, it's a present to me! For someone who pays for a lot of my own travel, gift cards can help make a dent in my fares. But no, family and friends outright refuse to get these as gifts.

Instead I received a pile of books I'll never read, hair accessories I'll never use, and a magnet that said, "Life is beautiful." It would be more beautiful if you bought me the freaking gift certificate you moron.

Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative of any gift. But when you specifically ask me what I want and I tell you, and then you proceed to buy something I will never use, why bother asking in the first place? RAWR.

Please tell me I'm not alone in this.

/endrant

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you give people gift certificates? Perhaps of equal value? If so, what was actually accomplished with that "exchange"?

Newscience and MX like this.
  3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they ask for them and I don't know what else to buy them, sure do.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some call it pathology, some call it crazy - I have given up explaining MRs to many folks. A funny anecdote:

Eons ago, in a pre-9/11 era, DL used to have plan-lines. You called a number, it was an IVR where deals were announced for the week. Domestic and International deals, which were not too bad.

Once we were having a discussion at a bar in Midtown with related to herring eating traditions. - Needless to say, nothing was settled. That night DL had JFK-AMS return for $490. I took a day off, and did a weekend MR to Amsterdam - Had herring at a stand right outside Centraal, and them some, and more all over town. Took many photos from one of the disposable cameras.

"Are you nuts" "You are a crazy dude" "You actually did that ?" was what they said - Even the bartender shook his head is disbelief. :p:cool::D But them photos were passed around and made a great evening conversation !

5. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You understand me. *sniff*

6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually buy people gift cards instead of getting them actual gifts. So do my parents. Better to let people buy themselves something they really want rather than buy them a bunch of crap they won't use. Usually the only times I'll buy someone an actual physical gift are when I know for a fact they have a strong interest in something, or when I buy something for my 1 year old nephew. In that case, we usually buy him toys that have flashing lights and make noises and have buttons he can push.

Newscience, Counsellor and anileze like this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    MSYgirl, I doubt that you'd find a more understanding and sympathetic audience than either here on Milepoint or on TOBB! ;)

IMHV, travel is about:
    - the journey
    - the people you meet
    - the things that you see and experience

Let's face it, it's a rare individual that fully understands that, and enjoys travel as much as most Milepointers! :) FWIW, a gift certificate may be useful (depending upon the airline and expiration date), but few would understand that as well as you! :cool:

Happy travels in 2014!
    Newscience

kiwi, anileze and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    anileze,
    YOU DA MAN! :cool:
    Newscience

anileze likes this.