Do Older Flight Attendants Get a Bad Rap?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/older-flight-attendants-ageism-attitude/story?id=16277274#.T6VNXFLNngA

How did flight attendants go from sex symbols to punching bags in just a few short decades? I"m not only thinking of that Southwest pilot who called some of his colleagues "grannies" last year (he got his comeuppance in the form of a suspension) but also all those nasty comments on the Internet and mean-spirited remarks I hear personally.

Sure, we"ve seen a recent flurry of tributes to beloved older flight attendants - United"s 83-year-old steward and the 60-ish twins who still push drink carts for Delta come to mind - but that"s unusual, to say the least.

More common - at least anecdotally - are complaints that aging flight attendants are "mean" or unhelpful and the Internet is littered with comments bemoaning "hags" or invoking the "B-word." Not long ago, I even heard from a veteran airline pilot who said, "In defense of the traveling public, some flight attendants do prosecute their duties with "extreme prejudice." Not surprisingly, he prefers to remain anonymous.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/older-flight-attendants-ageism-attitude/story?id=16277274#.T6VNXFLNngA

Kalboz, rwoman and Blue Skye like this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are some of the best, and some of the worst. When they are on the bitter side, I just try and kill them with kindness. Life has dealt them a fairly nasty hand, career-wise, and many of them probably figured they wouldn't be working anymore at this point, or at least would have a decent nest egg at this age. Sometimes, they "crack" and end up being pleasant. Other times, I wish I had brought a special cream for their special dryness. But then, you can't bring that through security :p

sobore likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't that what the cream in the airline amenity kits is for? ;-)

sobore likes this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I figured it's just the same sexism that leads to thread about who has the sexiest stews. Whatever.

LizzyDragon84, ella and rwoman like this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are good/bad people of all ages in just about any industry...historical stereotypes, of course do not help...

6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    My opinions are not gender-specific.

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't reading yours as being so, btw.