Do Not Rent list

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by techgirl, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hmmmm... so after 16 years with National (4 managing the internal billing of one of their top national accounts and 12 as an Emerald-plus at their top annual levels), I somehow got myself on their Do Not Rent list.

Very bizarre... I returned a rental in FLL last Wednesday morning then flew FLL-DFW-LAS-LAX. Showed up at LAX to pick up my rental on Wednesday night and was told I was persona nongrata.

Lovely manager on duty had me come around to the office and we discovered that I'd been put on the DNR list that very afternoon by someone at corporate for "unpaid damages" due to a chipped windshield (that I had reported myself, btw) at JFK from the fall. Since the corporate office was closed (and since I was on the phone with my travel manager wanting to know if they had contacted us at work - as they are generally prone to do on damage claims), the nice manager went ahead and rented to me.

A talk with our corporate account rep confirmed that I'd been placed on there due to being "nonresponsive" to the letters they had been sending - to an address where I have not resided for over FOUR YEARS. Never mind that my profile is (and has been) current with my updated home address and I've gotten regular mail and another damage claim at my current residence within that time period and that National also mails to me at our offices (often resulting in double production of my Executive Elite card).

So just a heads up... if you too get put on the DNR, press further. The local station can see exactly why and having the corporate office in Tulsa produce their documentation might be comical.

BTW... a chipped windshield costs $165 to repair. [​IMG]

mht_flyer, Punki, East_Yorker and 3 others like this.
  2. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for taking the time to post your experience.[​IMG]
    The rental car industry has made me completely anal retentive about damage.[​IMG] I take pictures of EVERYTHING!
    Always remember, they have security cameras covering their facilities. Any individual employee may try to bullsh*t you, or say things that may not be company policy. Never drive out the exit if there is any question in your mind!

Lancasterkenj and AdamRx like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Wow to this story. Just wow.

Also really interesting that they could rent to you while you were on the DNR list!

Not only is this really interesting to learn, but highly impressed with you for managing it :)

2soonold likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    so glad things worked out and kudos to the station mgr for renting to you (I'm also surprised he was able to circumvent the DNR list). I'm always afraid of getting on the DNR list as about 50% of my rentals comprise of 800+ miles being put on the car in two days but I guess enough of my rentals are very low mileage so I stay off of it.

On a side note DNR in Wisconsin stands for Dept of Natural Resources. The acronym the locals use is DNR which is used to mean Damn Near Russians (for the over the top laws then enforce)[​IMG]

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    DNR is Do Not Resuscitate; ask any medical professional. So basically, National decided that if anything bad happened to techgirl, they'd just leave her where she lay and call the coroner to take her away.

[​IMG]

legalalien, bthobe, jbcarioca and 4 others like this.
  6. AdamRx
    Original Member

AdamRx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't agree more. After a harrowing experience with a rental in Ireland, I highly recommend paying for the extra insurance offered by the rental company in any country that is not covered under your credit cards insurance plan (Ireland, Italy, etc.). Let me tell you, it's worth the extra charge to avoid paying $600 for a little scratch on a bumper (oops!).

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yikes! That must have been stressful.

Glad it all worked out. :)

8. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    You wouldn't be put on the DNR list for legitimate uses of the car. Some reasons to be put on the DNR list:
    • Unpaid balance due (usually from damage, but sometimes from overdue charges they couldn't collect from a declining credit card)
    • DUI during rental
    • Driver otherwise arrested during rental
    • Suspected misuse or illegal use of rental car
    • Entering an unauthorized area (i.e. taking the car beyond the geographic restrictions or driving on unpaved highways)
    • Unauthorized driver discovered driving the vehicle
    As you can see, they're heavily weighted towards things that are risky for the rental agency (i.e. likely to get the car damaged or stolen or affect their ability to get paid on the rental), not simply a punishment for otherwise normal but excessive activity.

Oh, there's one big one that I forgot to mention above:
    • Belligerent customer
    :D

Here, too. :p

jbcarioca and Sweet Willie like this.
  9. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Incorrect. Getting a windshield chip from a rock hitting the windshield, reporting it, and then having National try to collect from an address that was updated four years ago in their system certainly doesn't imply I did anything illegitimate.

And that was the SOLE reason I was put on the DNR.

They made no attempts to charge my card, contact me at the address or phone on my profile, or contact anyone at our business (we have a corporate account).

That's why I'm reporting this here. In 12 years with National I have actually had two prior minor damage incidents (my first year with them a school bus sideswiped me... and a couple of years ago I damaged a spoiler on a low-profile vehicle). Both times, they almost immediately contacted my business long before trying to contact me at home. Interestingly, the second incident was also at my current address and they did manage to mail a statement there with no problem.

In other damage incidents, one of my colleagues returned a rental car which she claims was in good condition. On return, they commented that there was a scratch on a bumper and refused to issue her a receipt. We subsequently got billed over $2,000 for a complete quarter-panel replacement and almost 10 days out of service. On this incident, they also called the company as soon as she didn't respond to the first letter - it was within 4-6 weeks of the rental.

While I believe my DNR incident is an outlier, it does defy the blanket statements you make. And let's not forget - I am the one who reported the damage to National when I returned the car initially.

2soonold likes this.
  10. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't confuse National's incompetence with what the policy is. And you're kind of taking my line out of context, too--I was replying to Sweet Willie's question about putting excessive mileage on a car.

While you didn't do anything illegitimate, from National's perspective (irrational as it may be), you represented a payment risk due to an outstanding, unpaid debt. Now, is it silly they put you on the DNR list for such a small amount given their own failures to correctly follow up with you (not to mention your position with one of their largest corporate accounts)? Absolutely. But the "SOLE" reason you were put on the DNR list was your outstanding balance, not your action of damaging the windshield and reporting it.

11. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    True. I just wanted to clarify that I had not done anything else to be put on their DNR.

(And another clarification... I'm no longer at the company that is one of their largest corporate accounts and have not been for many years - but those four years were the start of my relationship with National sixteen years ago.)

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    That quote (taken out of context[​IMG]) is well stated. I have yet to have a problem with any rental car company where the company did not want to rent cars to the public. But, I have had a number of problems with rentals where the individual employees of the rental car companies either verbally gave me misinformation or carelessly screwed over the company policy!
    In fairness, it's not always about the rental car company; sometimes it's about me[​IMG]. I got upgraded to a Luxury on my vacation road trip out west. Got hopelessly lost in the great American Southwest, and the sun was setting. My AAA map said it was a paved county road. When the pavement ended and I couldn't chance turning around; I said to myself that if anything bad happens on this gravel road, I will be dead or paying for a very expensive souvenir![​IMG]
    I still appreciate the OP taking the time to post about her experience.[​IMG]

13. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only countries beginning with the letter "I" [​IMG]

Seriously, check every inch of your car, and demand that anything you find be included on the damage report. I mean everywhere. We had a car from Avis which had a large dent in the top of the roof. We only noticed it because the light happened to reflect on it. Better yet, if you get a car with damage, ask for another car.

ella, jbcarioca, AdamRx and 1 other person like this.
  14. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    The profile issue is a serious problem. National at ORD still thinks I live in my previous address, and I'll be gone eight years in April. They've supposedly changed it four or five times now, to no avail.

techgirl likes this.
  15. jammanxc
    Original Member

jammanxc Silver Member

Status Points:
    yikes! thanks for sharing that story

16. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really need to be more vigilant about checking my car for damage. I've had such an easy time with National to date (they never hassle me about anything), that I think I've gotten a bit lax. This story will serve as a wake up call-- I'm documenting everything, especially since it seems like their follow-up leaves lots to be desired!

jetsetr likes this.
  17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    First thing I've taken to doing now when I rent is bust out my camera and take pictures as I walk around the car. Minor stuff like small scratches I point out to the attendant before I leave the lot, but big stuff I just go find another car to avoid problems later.

I also try to remember to take a picture of the front/back of the car with my phone so I catch the license plate, so I don't have to try (too hard) to remember which one is my car when I go to the mall or some other place. :)

18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agree if big, I simply find another car. I actually like scratches as I'll ask for a damage slip at the gate on my way out, note the scratches on a number of fenders/panels and that way if something minor does happen I'm covered, damage is noted.
    good idea !

19. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the thread is a little older, I only rent on my card with AmEx Premium coverage. My plan is $19.95 per rental (not day, but rental) less than 30 days, no deductible, and primary coverage for theft or damage. Not such a good idea if one's looking for a bunch of one day rentals for promotions but great for those week-long trips in places like STT, where every car seemed to have quite significant pre-existing damage.

20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was surprised when I rented from Alamo at HNL and basically every car in the lot was mangled. And I don't mean one or two cars... I checked a bunch of intermediate cars and all of them had various degrees of damage, mostly big scrapes on the right side for some reason.

I don't know if it was from people having problems parking or turning right -- although my friend made a rather "inappropriate" comment about Asian drivers -- but bottom line is that quite a few rentals I saw had damage.

21. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like AMEX coverage as well but obviously I don't use on 1 day rentals. Here is a thread about having to utilize the insurance after an accident while in a National Car: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/accident-experiences.6987/