Do non-diamond guests on non-club room rates think assignment to club level permits club access?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by jfhscott, Oct 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, the title says it all. Had a stay at the Regency Capitol Hill. Numerous non-diamond guests who had apparently not booked club rates seemed to think that an 11th floor (the floor with the lounge) room assignment would entitle them to lounge access. At least one was decidedly upset that the key card was no programmed for the lounge.

Is seems pretty straightforward to me, but if I were not as informed as I am, might make the same mistake. Given this, should Hyatt avoid assigning non-lounge eligible guest to the floow with the lounge?

uggboy likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    They presumably assign non-eliible guests to the club floor when they run out of rooms elsewhere. What else could they do then... walk people?

What if the club didn't actually had a door that required a coded keycard? I have been to plenty of Hyatts where anyone could have just walked into the club (sometimes the elevator requires keycard, but not always).

What if a Platinum member got upgraded to the club floor? (as a HHonors Gold I'd certainly expect access to the club in that scenario)

Probably best for the FD agent to explain upon check-in.

viguera, uggboy and MSPeconomist like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange....why were they upgrading so many non status guests? I wonder what caused this to happen or whether some new front desk clerk just decided to honor requests for the highest floor possible, maybe from guests that knew it meant lounge floor? if they had some Hyatt status such as Plat, I think they should have been given lounge access. otherwise, it should have been explained at check in.

Some chains such as SPG require that all amenities that come with the room type be given with upgrades, so that this would not have happened, although then the OP would complain about a crowded lounge.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think most guests would think that, if they're upgraded to a club floor and in a club room, they would get access to the club, regardless of whether they had booked a club rate. People get upgrades all the time when the hotel runs out of the room you originally reserved. If I get upgraded from a standard room to a corner suite, and it's happened as a non-elite, should the hotel rope off half the room and tell me not to use it because I only paid for 350 square feet? Usually all the amenities of that room come with the upgrade. So, no, I don't think it's straightforward.

It sounds like Hyatt did the best they could if they want to limit access to Diamond members and those paying club rates by putting a second layer of security at the entrance to the club itself. However, a sign, or some mention at check-in, to inform guests that no, you don't get to go into the club despite being on the same floor, might be useful.

5. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not know what was explained at check in. But I know at times guests will ignore what they are told. My AAA rate was $116, so I do not infer they were bursting at the gills. Rather, I infer they assigned non-elites and non-club-rate-paying guests to the top floor when there were plenty of rooms on lower floors.

I think that practice is odd, and may give rise to folks thinking they are entitled to something which gets denied - not a good customer relations pratice.

uggboy likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If people discovered their lounge exclusion when they tried to use it, either by the key card not working or by the dragon telling them no, I can understand folks being upset as this would be embarrassing. It seems tacky for the hotel not to tell them at check in, when it could have been phrased as a room upgrade with an upsell offer for the lounge.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it is a very bad practice to assign such customers club floor rooms in these circumstances. Someone at the hotel needs some training.

kenbo, 2soonold, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  8. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, given my knowledge, I would not anticipte access just because I was on the club floor. Access by key card is amply severable that I would not make the inference that the "room" upgrade carries anything more than a better view and nicer toiletries.

Many travelers do not have my level of experience, so I can understand confusion on their part.

uggboy likes this.
  9. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, somehow, it seems to raise expectations that the property will not fulfill.

uggboy likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It also causes added wear and tear on their best rooms and causes noise and other unnecessary disturbances on the club floor.

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I would think that an upgrade to club level comes with club access.

kenbo, viguera, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had I been upgraded to that floor I probably would have tried to use the keycard to get into the club. If it had worked, I would have enjoyed the amenities. If it didn't (and if my (lack of) status or promise from the front desk hadn't promised me access), I wouldn't have pressed the issue.

Now, the following comment is admittedly a bit prejudiced based on my impatience with Hyatt's systems and administrative practices in general. But I do tend to agree with comments elsewhere on this thread implying that maybe the front desk and/or the room assigner could have handled this matter differently in the first place to avoid those guests getting annoyed when they couldn't get in.

2soonold, iolaire and uggboy like this.
  13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would definitely think that when I had been upgraded by the FD agent at check-in to a Club Level room, it comes with all the associated benefits incl. lounge access. Why would someone be upgraded to this level when not incl. lounge access, this is beyond me!

Using the club lounge // status with Hyatt or not // is part of my // our expectation when getting such an upgrade in the first place and it is already implied in the name, Club Floor room! When Hyatt wants that people do not use the lounge than do not upgrade them to the Club floor. Don't be shy Hyatt, when upgrading guests to this kind of floor, let them use the lounge, this expectation was already set with watering the hole by the FD!

I for once, as far as I can remember, always when we had been upgraded // many different hotels // chains // status and non-status // to a club floor we could always use the Club Lounge, only once also at a Hyatt we had been upgraded to Club Floor and could not use the Lounge there. Lounge attendant told us it was "only 20$" extra for using the lounge, which we found strange, frustrated us and we declined, having lost appetite for our upgrade to this floor. This was at a Maryland Hyatt property.

Having stayed at many other Hyatt properties throughout the world, this has never happened to us outside the US. When we had been upgraded at a Hyatt to Club level room, lounge access was always included.

cennas and iolaire like this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make that +1!

In our books, upgrading a guest // status or non-status // to club level room implies all the associated benefits incl. lounge access.

To say simply we upgrade you, but no lounge access included is a bad practice in our books!

15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would Hyatt not confuse people and they would stand to their upgrade which implies already the name Club level, than Hyatt would maybe make guests who actually return to their properties, a guest // first timer, status, non-status // is a guest and when Hyatt upgrades him // her should state that a Club level room means just that a Club level room and this level comes with Club lounge access. Confusion solved, guest happy, Hyatt gets favorable views and impressions.

Regarding, wear and tear, noise and disturbances. That's why the hotel has rooms and thats why a FD agent upgrades its guests, the name implies on a tin what it says, Club level = Club lounge access. Status or non-status, wear and tear, noise and disturbances, even the most loyal diamond can give you just that!

16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, an upgrade to a Club level room does raise expectations, because as the name implies with the name "Club" as a teaser, Hyatt should give automatic Club lounge access. There is no way to set-up the guest and say be our guest on the Club level, but do not use our lounge, because it is not yours. That's bad hospitality business.

17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed... and unless I was told otherwise, I would assume that I wouldn't have any problems accessing it.

2soonold and uggboy like this.
  18. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, the upgrade to a floor without to the club wouldn't have been a way to try to upsell the guest and get an extra $20 out of them, would it? Nah, I am probably too cynical. :)

uggboy and viguera like this.
  19. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    [quote="uggboy, post: 857499"only once also at a Hyatt we had been upgraded to Club Floor and could not use the Lounge there. Lounge attendant told us it was "only 20$" extra for using the lounge, which we found strange, frustrated us and we declined, having lost appetite for our upgrade to this floor. This was at a Maryland Hyatt property..[/quote] Hey, do some of you guys remember this hot summer when the Hyatt property in Chicago got all the bad publicity the day that a manager -- on his last day of work before retirement -- turned heat lamps on strikers at the entrance, forcing the Hyatt CEO to issue an apology for that conduct?

What if the manager would have said "for only $20 per striker I will turn the lamps off?" See, I told you I was too cynical :)

uggboy likes this.
  20. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being of the Kettle clan, I feel certain that most Kettles nowadays think of whatever room rate they pay as being the price of admission to all the amenities of the hotel.
    Ride all the rides you want for one low price!:D

bbbb and uggboy like this.
  21. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except when I do have access, my card gives me access less than 50% of the time.

uggboy likes this.