Do most locals just hop a cab from LGA into Manhattan?

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by tcook052, Sep 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've booked a DL award into LGA in January and it's been a while since I have flown into the airport so thought I'd ask whether anyone bothers with limo services or just hops into a taxi for the ride into town.

Specifically I'm at the Distrikt Hotel which is on West 40th Street between 8th & 9th Avenues and I'm flying in on a Sunday afternoon arriving around 5PM.

Groupon has lately had a few deals on car services rides with a few companies, most recently Federal Transit and the offer was $29 one way to or from LGA which I understand is cheaper than a cab. Some reviewers have said however that the drivers are independent contractors and will try and part you from your money with stories about surcharges and extra add-ons or who just never show up at the reserved time.

Is it worth a flyer on this car service deal or should I just hop in a cab?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent timing. I have a trip coming up to LGA (first time ever) and will be staying in Manhattan somewhere... haven't booked hotel yet... let's say near Times Square.

But I am cheap ;) and won't have luggage. Are there any decent public transportation options?

3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about public transit?

Get a $10 metrocard on arrival ($10.70 in value), you can take the M60 to Astoria Blvd, then transfer (free) to the N or Q train to Times Square. Or you can take the Q33 to Roosevelt Ave/74th St, transfer (free) to the E train (downstairs) to 8th Ave 42nd St. There's lots of other bus/subway options depending on your final destination.

You can use google maps to plot out your public transit strategy based on your arrival day/time.

If you're arriving/departing on a weekend, be sure to check for transit work.

If you want an even easier, but slightly more expensive option, you can take the NYC Airporter bus which goes to Grand Central, Penn Station and the Port Authority Bus Termina (at 8th Ave and 41st St) for $12.50

www.nycairporter.com

NYC is a public transit mecca.

-David

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! While I always found the NYC subway/train system confusing (compared to other major cities...), I did hope that there would be some decent option.

Looks like I might take the airporter when I arrive in the evening (for convenience sake) and some combination of trains on the way back.

5. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    The NYC Airporter is a reasonable option.

The subway system is well marked, relatively easy to use. Especially if you plot out your route ahead of time. For example on the route from LGA to the Port Authority on the E train, it's very simple, you just follow the E signs towards Manhattan when you get to Roosevelt Ave/74th St bus stop, and tell the driver to let you know when you get there.

The key is to have a metro card with value on it at all times. You can add value at most stations. At the $10 level, you get a small bonus. (70 cents).

Have fun, report back, we'll send From NYC out to find you if you get lost.

-David

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's mainly the express vs. local trains that I am not fond of. Oh, and the weekend work that might mess with your travel plans. I recall taking the subway out to JFK (or whatever the closest station is) one weekend. During the ride there were some unintelligible announcements (think McDonald's drive-through audio quality). Suddenly, at a stop somewhere in the middle of Brooklyn (or Queens?), everyone else gets off the train. Apparently they all understood or just knew that there was construction going on and the train ended there, with a bus bridge set up... I guess it's all part of the adventure, though ;)

7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually going to LGA on Sunday. But I'm staying @ the Sheraton LaGuardia East & they have a shuttle so I am of no help ...

Getting to Manhattan is super easy, steps from the 7 Train :)

LIH Prem and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  8. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    lol, another starwood property I don't particularly care for. My room "smelled".

-David

edekba likes this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always get the club room for discount (from work) So I don't really have a choice :)

LIH Prem likes this.
  10. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah, we can prep you for that, they publish all the weekend track work on their web site and let you know which lines and stops are affected, and you plan around it. http://mta.info/weekender.html

Also, if you carry a smartphone, the locals will let you know which NYC transit app they use and which ones they use for weekend service disruptions.

-David

11. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The N would take me to Times Square - 42 Street so would only have to walk a few blocks to the hotel which on a Sun. early evening wouldn't be a hardship as I travel pretty lightly.

That actually does sound like the more convenient and decent value so will likely opt for that. Any advantage to booking online in advance or just do it upon arrival at LGA?

Thanks for the input. :)

ACMM likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you do not know the city, I would suggest getting out of the terminal at LGA and taking a yellow cab, which should cost you just under $20 to most Manhattan destinations, but will get you there with no hassle. I know the city but I always take the yellow cab from LGA or JFK. To go to either airport I use a car service because it is not easy to catch yellow cabs where I live...

Avoid the so-called gypsy cabs!

13. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cabs can have long cab lines.. sometimes the cab lines aren't well split among the different LGA terminals.

Some locals are cab only, some are car only, some take the M60 bus, while others use the NYC Airporter service.

If it's 2 or more people, the cost of the cab becomes reasonable. To the west side from LGA is more like a $40 cab ride with tax, tip, tolls and the new fare hikes.

For your destination, and if you're travelling alone, my best suggestion is to take the NYC Airporter Service. Express Bus from the airport, along a direct route, has 2 stops before (grand central, bryant park) and drops you off at the port authority bus terminal at either 41st or 42nd and 8th. You're a block away your hotel and that's a very easy walk. Fares are $12.50 one way from LGA, cheaper if you do a roundtrip. They take credit cards for fares.

KENNECTED likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The E train option will take you even closer to where you want to be as it is at 8th Avenue at Times Square rather than at 7th Avenue/Broadway. I take the Q33/E train regularly and the total trip time is about an hour, plus or minus, depending on the wait for a bus at LGA more than anything else. The other advantage of the Q33 is that the transfer point to the E (or 7 - also goes to Times Square) train is that the bus terminates at the transfer point. It is quite hard to miss the change. And if you take the 7 rather than the E it will be a few minutes longer but it is above ground in most of Queens which can be fun and it also terminates at Times Square, again making it hard to miss your stop. The E trains are all the new rolling stock now so announcements are much better and they have good information inside the cars on digital displays.

The bus services are fine but don't save a ton of time IMO and you're still dealing with the largest potential problem which is traffic into Manhattan, something which the subway avoids.

I think you are underestimating the cost quite a bit, particularly for someone who doesn't know the city. Assuming no traffic LGA-Times Square will be $30 on the meter, plus tip & tolls. You can skip the tolls if you can convince the driver but that is unlikely if you're not familiar enough to know where you're going in the first place. There are very few locations in Manhattan which can be reached for $20 on the meter from LGA anymore.

IDGflygirl and NYCUA1K like this.
  15. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately, my house (12 minutes from LGA without traffic) is one of them. :)

Wandering Aramean, edekba and NYCUA1K like this.
  16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are absolutely right. My point of reference was my very own and that was a mistake because I live on Eastside, just around the 59th Street Bridge, which is less than 15 min from LGA. I usually pay around $15 for a yellow cab from LGA ($45 flat from JFK). If one has to go to the Westside from LGA, a cab would cost a lot more. It remains a fact that I always take the yellow cab, even when I lived on the Westside for 10 years before moving to the Eastside just over 8 years ago.

Good point.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  17. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can get directly to your hotel by taking the M60 to St Nicholas Avenue in Harlem (just past the Apollo Theater) and then taking any of the downtown trains at that subway stop (A,B,C,D) to 42nd Street. The A and D are faster express trains, but the local will only add 6 or 7 minutes to the trip.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  18. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plus, 17% fare hike last week. . .

19. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    do you know if car service places have that fare increase? ... if so I'm gonna just call my company's car service & pay them back.

20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    First time I hear of that!:(

21. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, car services determine their own fees. This statutory fare hike applies only to metered (yellow) cabs.

edekba likes this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you guy's priced it lately?

The current rate in NYC is $2.50 for the first 1/5th of a mile and $0.50 for each additional 1/5th of a mile. A $15 fare gets you 5 miles from LGA. You will not be in Manhattan taking the 59th Street Bridge or Midtown Tunnel at that point. Getting to 58th & 2nd, just over the bridge, is 6.6 miles. And you still have to tack on a tip to that.

The flat rate to or from JFK is now $52.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most locals have someone pick them up from the airport. :)

For all the years that I lived in New York before I moved to the suburbs, I never once took the subway or bus to/from the airport. It's just terribly inconvenient IMO, but everyone has different priorities.

canucklehead likes this.
  24. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I returned from EZE on Sept 17 and the fare was just over $20, which I attributed to the fact that the driver had taken a very long way to get to my place (I complained to him about that). When did the fare change go into effect? I have never paid more than $20 from LGA to my home when the most direct route is taken...

25. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ruh roh. Google says 8.3 miles to my house in Harlem, so looks like my ride has gone over $20 as well.