Do men ever wear shorts in BA?

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by jfhscott, Oct 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand that grown men wearing shorts is generally a North American anomoly.

Is it out of the ordinary in Buenos Aires as much as it is in Europe?

Are standards any more relaxed at Iguassu Falls?

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Germans, Dutch and some others do it, usually with long socks and shoes.
    In BA Brazilian young men routinely do it, but older ones usually do not. However, as long as you don't go to a nice restaurant that was nobody thinks much about it.
    At Iguaçu/Iguassu or otehr outdoor attractions almost everyone is very casually dressed; those who are not are teh oddities. You can go anywhere there dressed casually.
    BTW, if you come to Rio de Janeiro you'll see the odd person show up in the finest restaurants in shorts. The only people dressed up in Rio are waiters and lawyers.

jfhscott likes this.
  3. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can do without wearing shorts, but wearing shorts with long socks is just a bit much for this American!

Thank you.

Koschmar and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rio is not in BA..... and Rio is not the capital of Argentina..

;)

Yes, grown men use shorts in Buenos Aires....

on Tennis Courts
    at Pool-side
    when running in a park or otherwise doing some form of physical activity

Shorts are not acceptable attire in Buenos Aires in the same way that they would in many North American scenarios. Take it from a local.... shorts are a no no in 99% of all the situations outside the examples I post above.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am mostly not in Europe during the warm season, but when I am, I have no problems walking around town (eg sightseeing) in shorts.

Are you saying those three examples pretty much describe the scenarios when shorts are appropriate in North America? I wear shorts whenever it's warm enough and I am not heading for a really nice restaurant.

It back on topic: so it's considered inappropriate to walk around for sightseeing in shorts in BA?

jbcarioca and daninstl like this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know I'll attract haters for this but I don't think pajamas, crocs and an Ed hardy t-shirt are appropriate anywhere except your own home but I would wear shorts to Europe Mexico or Australia in the Summer.

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on where in Europe; It depends on whether you want to be instantly perceived as a crass tourist; it depends on whether you wish to enter religious buildings.

daninstl likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was counting on you to clarify the point. I know that is correct, but I have not the right to say so.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's what they invented zip-off pants for, no? ;)

I certainly don't mind being perceived as a tourist (among the thousands of other tourists) as I visit the major sites of Europe. And for me comfort is more important than style (hence, yes, zip-offs are part of my travel collection).

But even when I lived in Europe and was not a crass tourist did I wear shorts when climate-appropriate. I guess I was perhaps perceived as a crass local ;)

jbcarioca and daninstl like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    We all know "crass" is in the eye of the beholder too. That is why tourist jokes were invented anyway. I am always very cautious in dress and comportment where ever I am. More discretion costs nothing much, IMO. Others view these things differently. Precisely because of that stereotypes work, as entertainment anyway. OTOH, I will not ever travel with someone wearing shorts in Buenos Aires. And no one I go with will enter a fine restaurant in Rio that way, even though tourists and some locals do it every day and are tolerated. Lastly, people who wear shorts on airplanes offend me, primarily because I prefer to be seated where the preceding occupant was fully clothed. I do not complain about that because the continuing trend to "casual" attire seems not to be a thing I can usefully oppose. Rant about it; yes, of course.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  12. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Venezuela (and in most Latin American) countries, it's easy to spot the American playing for the local basketball/baseball team.The dude wearing shorts and flip flops.

It was quite a culture shock when I went to my first day of college in the US. 85F and I was the only one wearing jeans and one of the very few ones wearing actual shoes.

Silly Americans. :)

13. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is as expected and not surprising to me. Grown men wearing shorts for sightseeing or day to day tasks such as going to the grocery store is a disproportionately North American phenomenon it seems. When I sightsee, I will certainly not wear shorts to religious sites or sites of sufficient import that wearing shorts could be offensive, but I do like the comfort in warm weather . . . but I know it perplexes many when grown men from North America wear shorts.