Do low cost/low fare Airline deals go here?

Discussion in 'Deal Page | Air/Hotel' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always wanted to see a dedicated forum to the likes of Ryanair, AirAsia, Tiger Airways, etc. that don't have a loyalty program but offer at times ridiculously low fares that should be shared.

2. OSLflyer
    Original Member

OSLflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you.

3. calvinoeh
    Original Member

calvinoeh Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree....

4. Definitely- having some sort of editable page where we could track all of the different discount carriers would be of help. It might also be nice to put together a master list of which low cost carriers serve which routes (although perhaps too cumbersome for Europe); I have a partial listing that I would need to update for China and Southeast Asia.

5. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sarah, please share your SE Asia list... especially those that fly into Singapore are of interest to me.

6. I'll work on formatting and making this more comprehensive in the future, but for now here's the info I have on Singapore (some of this may be outdated):

Main terminal airlines
    Air Asia- Kota Kinabalu, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket
    Air Macau- Macau (which I think is now defunct)
    Jetstar- multiple Australian destinations (Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, etc.) Cambodia: Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, China: Hangzhou, Guilin, Haikou, Shantou, Hong Kong, Macau, Indonesia: Bali, Medan, Jakarta, Surbaya, Japan: Osaka, Malaysia: Kota Kinabalu, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Mynmar: Yangong, New Zealand: Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington, Philipines: Manila, Taiwan, Thailand: Bangkok, Phuket, Vietnam: Danang, Hanoi, Saigon
    Lion Air: Bali, Saigon, Jakarta

Budget terminal
    Firefly- several Malaysian cities
    Cebu Pacific- Cebu, Clark, Manilia
    Tiger- multiple SE Asia, Southern China (Shenzhen) and Indian destinations- need to update

I'll work on trying to put together a more comprehensive list for Asia by both airline and route, but it may have to wait until I have time this weekend. A lot of these routes seem to come and go, particularly the India-SE Asia ones.

PanAm, Bizi, wingspan and 1 other person like this.
  7. One other idea (although I'm not sure if this forum is the best place) would be favorite booking engines for certain destinations- like Ctrip and Elong for China and Cleartrip for India. I've found those very useful (and cost saving!) over the years.

PAinNY and kiwi like this.
  8. Biu
    Original Member

Biu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great idea! To add to this, I've found Zuji to be decent for HK/Taipei fares.

iloveawardtravel and kiwi like this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    PAinNY, Biu and TrueBlueFlyer like this.
  10. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh yes, I always come across that web site when searching random cheap fares and always forget to bookmark it for future reference. Thank you for doing it here!

agape2travel likes this.
  11. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Zuji is Travelocity... would the prices be theoretically the same on both sites? The advantage of Travelocity of course is so you don't pay foreign currency fee's if your credit card charges them.

12. Biu
    Original Member

Biu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right, it got acquired by Travelocity, but when I used it this past summer, I distinctly recalled that the prices were cheaper. I think it's a bit like the airlines' websites where if you pick that you're located in another country, you sometimes get different prices. They have to be mindful of the market they're serving (Asia for Zuji) and adjust the price correspondingly. Of course, that was only a one-time data point on my part, so I'm not entirely sure if this is always true, but hey, only takes another minute or so to check it when you're looking for cheap Asia fares.

Good point about the forex fees though, I used a CC that didn't charge it so I'm not sure if Zuji charged it or whether my CC just waived it.

agape2travel likes this.
  13. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've often found significantly different fares on each site - so I've found it's best to check. Sometimes it's worth the foreign currency fees for larger savings. (I've even gone so far before to check each Zuji website just in search of the best deal!)

14. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is fantastic! Thank you guys!

I will definitely be making use of this thread when it comes time to booking a trip for Lunar New Year next year.

15. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great idea, I don't usually fly LCC but if the price is right, who knows?

Kalboz likes this.
  16. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean free? [​IMG]

cockpitvisit and Chimpy like this.
  17. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    free is never really free... so far I have booked quite a few AirAsia and JetStar Asia "free" flights, but all of them cost something... although only a fraction of what a legacy would charge (or the same airlines without the "free" offer) at the very least you still pay the airport taxes...

18. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
  19. Bizi
    Original Member

Bizi Silver Member

Status Points:
    For SIN, don't forget JetStar Asia, Jetstar's SIN-based, half-owned subsidiary. From my own unfortunate experience of service cuts by JetStar itself.

20. So what would people find most useful for this thread? Here are my ideas, but am of course open to suggestions:
    -a listing of routes and which LCC serve them by continent/region
    -fees (baggage, food etc.) and policies for each airline since they can dramatically impact costs
    -a general FAQ: check in options, terminals (understanding the LCCT in Kuala Lumpur and the low cost terminal in Singapore)

I'll try to post some more of this in the near future, although I need to update my research!

Wanaflyforless likes this.
  21. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's surprising how many Air Asia flights fly out of BKI

Chimpy likes this.
  22. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
  23. Robin