Do Locals Really Crash Free Local Hotel Buffets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by rwoman, Nov 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    cordray2643, sobore, zpaul and 6 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A most interesting and developing sign of our times we live in today.

Of course, that's a bad development for the hotel managers // owners plus for real paying guests.

Thanks for sharing this most interesting and thoughtful insight with us on MP!:)

Definitely Food for Thoughts!

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if those same people would also walk out of their local Walmart with stolen merchandise if they thought they could get away with it. Or if the "Free Breakfast" advertised by the hotel somehow makes it okay for them to do this...

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be honest with you all but I sometimes stack up on food especially if I will be going on a road trip to save time and money. :)

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is why I favor a system where you pay for breakfast and then the hotel removes the charge from your room bill.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am picturing a cashier/gatekeeper at a Hampton Inn or Hyatt Place... that means employing more staff, and probably the problem isn't enough to justify the extra cost. Let's say they have an average of three people/day at a given property eating without staying there. Let's say that costs them an extra $5.00/"customer". Could they fund the cashier plus extra work for front desk with those $15? Seems doubtful. Of course, I am basing this on estimates that have no scientific foundation :)

7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Unless the PMS system will automatically deduct that amount if coded properly.. it can be quite inconsistent too so yeah...

zpaul and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of them are near full-service restaurants like a Denny's or IHOP. They say the meals cost them $7.50 per person in the article, about the price of an entree. Couldn't they do a deal with the nearby restaurant and hand out coupons for $8 off or something? I'm not saying my solution is perfect, only that it would get rid of the leeches. I also think it would result in better food. The options for free breakfast at the cheaper hotels are not very palatable.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I very much doubt that the cost of a Hyatt Place or Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express free buffet breakfast is $7.50. Those mystery meat patties and toast have to be dirt cheap. It would be 10% of the room cost that I usually pay at those places. 20% if I stay with my wife and get two breakfasts.

10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I wouldn't view it as an issue IF you were a registered guest at the hotel.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd be concerned about Jimgotkp's health, though ;)

12. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed I am :)

I'm worried about my health right now too :(

13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Preach.

Most of the time I want the option to actually sit down and have breakfast, buffet and self-service crap be damned... somebody's going to cook me some egg whites the way I like them :) But I suppose when I'm in that mood I don't stay at the entry-level places or at least I don't try for their breakfast because I know what I'm going to get.

But I'm not sure there's a solution at all, or at least not one that doesn't alienate somebody.

I suppose you can make it so that the restaurant area requires a room key, but that's not very welcoming to the actual guests of the hotel. :)

zpaul, Scottrick and rwoman like this.
  14. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't mind it at all if I had to swipe my key to open a case with unlimited supplies of eggs benedict. I have had days when every meal has hollandaise on it. :D It will be sad when I have to start eating like a normal person, caring about the difference of a few hundred calories here and there.

zpaul, viguera and rwoman like this.
  15. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you think about it, there is a way around it in most hotels, even ones where you have to pay for the meal. It'd be easy enough to get the bill, write a bogus name/room number, and leave. You look legit to the waitstaff, who wouldn't know otherwise until they actually try to process the transaction, by which time you're already gone.

I've done this unintentionally once before (never intentionally - honest!). It was my third hotel that week (Prague Marriott), and somehow I had ended up on the 5th floor every single time. I accidentally wrote the wrong room number and signed the bill. The $35 US (!) breakfast charge never showed up on my hotel folio.

zpaul and rwoman like this.
  16. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they do! One of my former employees goes down to the local Comfort Suites gets a cup of coffee and a newspaper nearly every day. It's known in town that he does it and the GM of the hotel is aware of it, but so far they haven't stopped him.

zpaul, rwoman and iolaire like this.
  17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah depending on the hotel that might actually happen, even if you don't mean to. I've gone for brunch/lunch after checking out and was given the option to charge stuff to the room -- although I would have been gone and could have said charge it to Randy Petersen in Room 305. :)

A few places I've seen actually ask you up front -- either before you're seated or by your waiter -- if you're a guest of the hotel. I would suspect that this is a way for them to head off this type of problem early, although that doesn't always happen and chances are it's far from foolproof.

18. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a morning person; and a light eater. That said, I'd really prefer to get what I wanted at a restaurant.

zpaul, rwoman and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  19. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fiscal conservatism at its finest.

zpaul, rwoman and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  20. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time for wrist bands just like at the mexican resorts!

21. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as they get you free booze, too.

2soonold, viguera and Lufthansa Flyer like this.