Do I understand "Triple Points" correctly?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Dovster, Jul 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be spending a week in LAS at the Flamingo Grand Vacations. I can get one bed-room suite there either for $161.70 per night ($1131.90 for the week) at the Senior Rate or pay $195 per night ($1365) and get triple points.

Whether or not the triple points offer is worth it depends on what it really means and would appreciate those of you with more experience at Hilton than I have (I am Gold only because of my Surpass card) to tell me if I have done my math right.

$1131.90 generally translates to 11319 base points. As I have signed up for the double points offer for the 3rd quarter, it will earn me 22638 points. In addition, I get a 50% bonus of the 11319 points (5659 points) for choosing "points and points" as well as a 25% bonus (2829 points) for being Gold. Total points: 31,126.

If I understand what "triple points" means correctly, I would pay the $1365, get three times the base points it usually gives (total: 40,950) plus twice the points for the 3rd quarter bonus (27,300), a 50% bonus for "points and points" (6825) and the 25% bonus for being Gold (3412). This would total 78,487 points. In other words, I would be getting 47,361 more points and it would cost me $233 more.

In itself, that may be worth it -- what do you think?

Of course, it is possible that I am missing something that would really make it worthwhile. For example, is the 3rd Quarter bonus twice the triple points I would be getting? That would certainly increase its value. Would the 50% "points + points" bonus be based on triple points the hotel is giving me? How about the 25% Gold bonus?

On the other hand, if the "triple points" is merely an increae of the double points which I will be getting for the 3rd Quarter bonus, then the value of this offer drops sharply.

Your thoughts, please.

Horse and savydog like this.
  2. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure your going to get triple and double points, I think the triple overrides the double and you only get triple points, plus you P&P and 25% bonus.

dgreen12, Horse and savydog like this.
  3. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    I want to know where one gets a super chicken :)

Horse and worldtraveller2 like this.
  4. worldtraveller2
    Original Member

worldtraveller2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    silly:p

Horse and savydog like this.
  5. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If there is some type of triple points offer, it would be calculated upon the base points and does not triple the bonus points. Then you would be awarded the Double Dip and Gold bonus points on top of this.

6. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the official answer that I got from HHonors:

Davescj likes this.
  7. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it looks like pretty generous bonus deal. Since you already have the status, only the base points count towards status anyway, you're going to get a good push towards a free night.

8. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the total comes out to more than what is shown. It does not include the 1000 points I get per stay at HGV properties as an elite bonus, the 500 points I get for booking on line with my Amex, the 2500 points per stay that I get for my first 8 Hilton stays after getting my Surpass card, or the 9 points per dollar (including tax) for paying with my Surpass.

Still, I am going to stay with the Senior Rate that I got. A few days after my initial post, the Hotel raised the price for the triple bonus stay to the point where it became unthinkable. A few days after that, it filled up so completely that it is now impossible to get a room for the first 4 nights of my stay at any price.

Still, I won't come out badly. My pre-tax rate for a one bedroom suite is $1,064.70 for the week.

That gives me 10,647 base points.
    The double points promo gives me an additional 10,647.
    The P&P bonus gives me 5,323 points.
    My Gold status gives me 2,662 points.
    The Elite bonus is 1,000 points.
    The Amex on-line booking is 500 points.
    The first 8 stays bonus is 2500 points.
    As Amex points are based on the price including tax, that will come to 10,732 points.

Total: 44011 points.

9. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    It'd actually cost you $233 PLUS taxes, which would bring it to around 1 cent/point, which is the same price that you'd pay if you purchase them directly: Purchase Points

I think you made the right decision to go with the Sr rate and wouldn't look to buy HHonors unless they're under 50c/point (unless I needed an incremental amount to reach some threshold).