Do I need to retrive luggage w/ 8 hr layover?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AZjohn, Nov 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello my MP friends,

OK, have a situation I haven't had before and would like to ask if anyone knows the answer?

My trip in Feb on LH/UA is ZRH-FRA-LHR-IAD-SFO-OGG (the things I do for NC/NF availability....:p)
    Anyways, I know once I hit US in IAD I need to re-check my luggage. The strange thing about this trip is I end up in SFO at 12:22am and my flight to OGG is at 8:50am.

Will drag my sorry butt to a hotel for a few hours of sleep and a nice shower before heading on to my OGG flight. I'm really hoping my luggage will just continue to the OGG flight at 8:50am after my IAD flight arrives previously at 12:22am (all on one PNR and considered continuous by UA as I only needed one SWU) without me having to re-check it.

Am I hoping for too much or will I need to wait around at 1:00am for my luggage to show up and then re-check it one more time for the last leg?

Thanks,
    John

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They should be able to tag it all the way to OGG but I do have to warn you...the LH/CO/UA baggage platform only allows for five segments (You do have five) but the problem is sometimes it will not work so LX/LH might tag your bag to IAD and you will have to retag it to OGG but other than that UA should be able to do this...

Now will your bag be safe sitting around for 8 hours, I can't comment on that.

3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi DIG/R_1K,
    Thanks for the reply. Yea, I was thinking the baggage tag will end up being kind of long (lol).
    As far as the baggage being safe, I'm hoping it would be kept in UA's ground care and not sitting out on the carrousel in public view. This would be very important as they will contain my two most valuable items, my dive gear and golf clubs.
    Cheers,
    John

4. scott6067
    Original Member

scott6067 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You will have two tags most likely placed on each bag. Each of the UA tags can handle three flights each. It will be interesting to see how the tags are printed. I would suggested you have a hard copy or electonic copy of your flights so if they have to do a fill in tag you can show them proof of flights.

AZjohn likes this.