Do I need to be Gold Status When I Book?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by mapenn, Mar 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newbie question here! We are looking at booking the Hilton in Cabo in late summer (great value!). I am only "Silver" status via the AMX Hilton. But by the time we arrive, I will probably get the Citi Card that gives Gold status. If I book under my silver status, will I be able to get the Gold status benefits when we arrive? Or do you have to book when you have Gold status?

We don't travel enough (yet!) to acquire status by stays. Is there any other way to obtain Gold Status outside of stays and the Citi Hilton Reserve? Thanks!

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    mapenn likes this.
  3. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    You don't need to be Gold at time of booking but I also wouldn't wait until the week before your trip to get the Citi Hilton Reserve card either because it does take a few days (may be even a week) to have the new status reflected in your account. In case you are banking on the 2 free-weekend nights cert for your Cabo trip, it takes 4 - 6 weeks after you meet the spending requirement to get the certs so plan accordingly.

edekba and mapenn like this.
  4. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Property benefits should be determined based on your status at the time of check-in. And it works both ways, unfortunately.

edekba likes this.
  6. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    He meant gold status is free for Surpass cardholders. The card does have an annual fee. There might, however, be some offers that waive the card's annual fee for the first year.

mapenn likes this.
  8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Free" as in no spend - versus the 20k spend in subsequent years, sorry, yes there is an annual fee, but that is offset by the 50 or 60k in Hilton points you get after limited spend.

mapenn likes this.
  9. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha. Thanks! Much appreciate the feedback! I'll probably wait until my 6x drugstore benefit phases out on my current card and then do the upgrade to the surpass in June. We'll travel in late July. My wife and I spent our honeymoon in San Jose Del Cabo 18 years ago...looking forward to going back!

10. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can buy Gold status on ebay for 20 bucks these days.,,,,from what I've heard. Upgrade only takes a day or so!

The good old days of earning status seem to be gone......

11. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    What the heck kind of vudo magic goes on to make that conversion? Has anybody done this?

12. anpe

anpe Active Member

Status Points:
    BTW, I'm not 100% sure about Hilton, but e.g. in Hyatt I ran into situations where I had to call them to update the reservation to reflect the new status.

13. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to calling ahead of time, I would also be certain that the hotel is aware of your status when checking in.

14. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    If one did I'm sure they wouldn't announce it on here....

astraveln likes this.
  15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has never been a problem for me with Hilton. :)

16. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can always take a virtual trip down under....

basiface and Singapore Flyer like this.
  17. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year, I dropped from Diamond to Silver and then worked my way back up -- on a multi-night trip I went from Silver to Gold between stays and the hotel at stay n+1 honored the fact I was Gold .... I did politely ask whether their system showed I'd made Gold.

Didn't bother asking for an upgrade to my room, I just wanted something comfortable and the free breakfast at an HGI.

DTWBOB

mapenn and marcwint55 like this.