Do I need an airline card?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by nedjinski, Aug 21, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. nedjinski

nedjinski New Member

Status Points:
    I have had a Chase United Visa card called "mileageplus awards" for several years.
    I fly once a year from denver to new york rt and that's all. There isn't a great advantage to the miles as I can never get the flight I want anyway and end up booking my desired flight at full cost.
    The card has a $60 annual fee and earns some points.
    I also have other cards like a Costco membership (Citi Visa) and a Fidelity Rewards Visa no fee, no cost card that earns 2 points per dollar spent.
    Is there any reason I should keep the mileageplus awards card? It seems like I could save the $60 per year.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I had a United card I Would Churn it, for more sign up points.

That said, use it or forget it.

At this point in my life most of my miles are given to friends or in laws.

I have Delta miles, do I have a Delta card...no...

My United Card offers me anytime awards,, using miles are about flexibility, save United for an international trip,

Life is about Vacations, and sharing, not one trip a year.

Churn your UA card for a Sapphire Prefered Card, or the new Sapphire Reserve,
    100k miles $300.00 rebate, TSA, and some other perks,.first year churn..

It is not about 2 points on a spend, but 50k on a new card offer....

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not, unless you take advantage of the checked bag allowance or boarding group 2 benefits.

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everyone will use their cards for different reasons.

Many years ago, I lacked a long credit history and wanted to start a business, credit cards worked great, and I turned the merchandise and paid the bank.

Many years later, I just open a new CC when the AF comes due, and my reward is more miles,

In time the bank may slow this game down, but today we have no problem getting new cards,

Most of my miles are given away, kind of like vegetables in a garden,

Never plan for today, always plan for tomorrow, and nothing wrong with giving some miles away.

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't fly United on your annual trip, keeping the credit card is probably not worth the annual fee. If you do fly United, and don't have elite status, the free bagcheck can help offset the annual fee.

I believe you also get two passes to the United Club annually with that card, and if so you should remember that you don't have to be flying United to use the United Club if you have the pass or a Club membership; I'll use mine if I have a long connecting time when flying other airlines (Delta, American) through an airport that has a United Club (most hubs do, and also international airports such as Hong Kong and Narita).