Do I have a problem?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by brucewil, Jun 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi. My name is Bruce and I'm a points-aholic. My problem started last year when I read a blog written by a young 20 something who was traveling to all these exotic places with little or no money. He was a very Lucky young man. Wink wink.

I began a serious collection of miles and points last March and now have about two million of them. That's after spending over a million of them in the last 12 months.

I sat down in front of the computer last weekend to categorize in Quicken some of the credit card statements that were beginning to pile up on my desk . That's when I discovered my addiction! I have paid 77 credit card statements YTD! That's over 15 per month so far this year. No wonder it seems like every other day a credit card bill arrives in the mail. That's because it does! Only another fellow Milepointer can understand.

Do I need help? Lol

wrxmom, Mapsmith, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suggest consolidating them a bit -- for example, if you move enough money through the right Delta card, you get MQMs which can be carried over..

For credit score purposes, you should keep the older cards though.

DTWBOB

Mapsmith and marcwint55 like this.
  3. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    The post was tongue in cheek, but thanks for the advice.

Mapsmith, marcwint55 and rockyrock like this.
  4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only way you have a problem, Bruce, is if your wife thinks you're nuts and prefers staying home to traveling! My problem is one of jealousy - you've just indicated that you amassed 3,000,000 points in 15 months. That's some serious s#!t, bro. Oh yeah - you must use more expensive labs than I do!

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

If you need help spending the points, I will gladly give you my account numbers to transfer into.

Mapsmith, Gargoyle and brucewil like this.
  6. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    To quote myself from other posts elsewhere, "HOLY CRAP!" That's a lot of points in a short amount of time.

7. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the power of office spending, not to mention some great sign up bonuses for the wife and me.

8. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Short answer: Yes. That's why you're here :) Welcome to the club! :D

Mapsmith and brucewil like this.
  9. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah - so we're now a 12 step program!

Seriously, when you use cards for expenses you would normally have, that's just smart. When you start spending more just to generate miles, yeah - that's a problem. There was a time that I looked at my AwardWallet statements and thought of those accumulated miles as an alternative retirement plan - my future travel plans. With all the changes I've seen - like the total devaluation of both Delta and Hilton, I realized it may not be the best strategy! The good news for many here is that no matter what the future brings, boy, do we have some amazing memories!

Mapsmith, marcwint55 and brucewil like this.
  10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're here for you Bruce. Don't worry "we" understand you here. Just get back in the koolaid line :)

Seriously that is a lot of miles/points. Stay on top of those bills. What I do is track them online through each card company websites. Then I have each account set up in my online banking so I can pay as I go. Many of the card sites won't let you pay fast enough so just do it through your bank, etc.

11. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Solving your dilemma will be painful- it's like pulling teeth.

12. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope that I fall into the former category of just smart spending on the right cards. I am coming up on the one year mark on many cards, so many will be gone before the annual fee is due unless they serve a long term purpose.

I am very organized with all this and have never made a late pmt. I do monitor most of the accounts online with iPad apps.

I'm not trying to build a retirement fund from the miles and points, but I am accumulating them faster than I am currently spending them. It would be nice to have enough points accumulated at retirement in a few more years for a couple of month long RTW trips.

13. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:

Ouch! Sad that a non-dentist had to come up with that one. :D

BTW, I was playing golf with a relatively new member of my club maybe 2 years ago. Trust me, he had no idea about what to do with points/miles. When we got around to talking about what we did for a living, he told me he arranges high-level medical conferences. He charges the entire amount for his conference and then the doctors pay him. My eyes rolled and my heart went pitter-patter! I told him I couldn't imagine how many points he had accumulated and he told me that he stopped counting when he reached 6 MILLION AMEX points! That's when I had to change my underwear!

Mapsmith, marcwint55 and brucewil like this.
  14. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    That''s what it's all about. Reimbursable business expenses or in our case large deductible business expenses. They make meeting minimum spend requirements a no-brainer.

15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

The good thing is that while your miles have devalued, your home has probably risen in value so all is not lost.

Mapsmith and Gargoyle like this.
  16. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure Gargoyle was just filling in. Bridging the gap. :D

marcwint55, Mapsmith and Gargoyle like this.
  17. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:

Kind of wonder if a 12 Step Program would take a credit card that gives me miles for payment?

marcwint55 and YULtide like this.
  18. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too, I'll even send pictures from where I go to so you can live your vacations vicariously through me.

19. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    WAOOO now Thats A lot of Points :) . And No you Do NOT have a problem with points addiction unless you actaully don't pay each CC in full each credit card jeje