Do I apply "early" for Amex SPG?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Gacspeech, Aug 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi Guys,

I just started getting into applying for cards and collecting points. FYI, in March, I got a Cap One (before I knew about fixed vs. transferable points) and then in June, I got the Chase British Air (I can get good redemption on Aer Lingus from Boston). However, I just got an email from Amex with their 30000 miles offer for the SPG card, BUT the end date is listed as Sept 3rd. My 91 days won't be up until Sept. 14. Do you think I should apply "early" any ways - I hate to miss out on an extra 5000 miles (since the offer is usually 25k not 30k),especially when it's that close. as you can see, I don't apply for too many at a time and I don't do the business cards. Also, if I do, should I apply for the Club Carlson card on the same day, rather than wait until the 91 days are up? I wanted to get both cards anyway; I'm just not sure about applying before the 91 day time frame.

Any advice?

Thanks to all in advance. I always get such nice, thoughtful responses.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    90day is largely a myth ... or a guideline. If you're credit is good & history is deep. It shouldn't be a problem, especially since you didn't apply for an Amex within the past 90 days

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have the link to that 30K offer? Hope AX also brings back the 5K referral bonuses.

4. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi M7VO,
    You can try this:
    XXXXXXX

but it was an email sent to me which stated, "get this invite one day early" so I suspect it will come out tomorrow for the general public if this link doesn't work.

Thanks too to edekba for the advice. I may just go for it, but I'll wait until Sept 3 comes...

[ADMIN NOTE: we removed the link supplied as it was encoded with personal information of the member. We err on the side of privacy for our members.]

5. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    hi again M7VO,

Gacspeech said: ↑
    I just got an email from Amex with their 30000 miles offer for the SPG card...

Do you have the link to that 30K offer? Hope AX also brings back the 5K referral bonuses.

Question about the referral bonus-does that mean if I get someone to sign up, I. Addition to myself, I could also get a sign-up bonus in addition to 30k regular bonus? Can I refer you?

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, AmEx offered 5K referral bonuses in prior years to users who already had a card and would refer others who did not have the same card. Since AmEx issues quite a few personal and business cards, you can come up with lots of mutual referral combinations.

ariosto likes this.
  7. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would remove that link it has your personal info on it. (even post-Admin edit there is a link in there)

MX likes this.
  8. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    MX and Wandering Aramean like this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for removing my personal info guys! :)

boondr likes this.
  11. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:

I sure do hope they would bring back the Refferal bonus ;)

boondr and MX like this.
  12. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with others, go early if this is useful to you. SPG points are hard to come by and this is a nice bonus.