Do hotels give rewards points for groups?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by joannelj, Jan 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. joannelj

joannelj Active Member

Status Points:
    I am taking a group of Girl Scouts to Washington DC, so I'll be booking 20+ rooms at a hotel. Will I be able to get hotel rewards points for this? Which program would be the best for this?

I will be applying for a new credit card and using this trip to hit the minimum spend. Maybe the Chase Sapphire Preferred (if the limited time offer holds another month.) But I'm willing to consider a different card to maximize what I can get out of it!

Thanks,
    JoAnne - extreme newbie, but very excited

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe hotel chains give different rates for event/meeting organizers. I organized a group at a Marriott and basically you get:

Just an example. I'm sure different chains have different earning rates. Good luck!

3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't that be if she was having an event rather than booking many rooms? Couldn't she simply book 20 rooms at the hotel and receive points for stay spend on all of them? If she is in fact booking and initially paying for those rooms atleast?

I know this works on a smaller scale, booking 2 or 3 rooms on 1 card, you get a as many nights as you stayed and 1 stay credit, but you get your points x dollars for the rooms.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK most chains limit the number of rooms that you can credit, but the rules vary by chain. The rules can also be different for points versus elite stay and nights credits. You really need to read the T&C carefully. Also, IMO you need to disclose to the girls and their parents that you will be earning hotel points and/or night and stay credits from these room bookings.

5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!

6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We blocked a number of rooms in a Hyatt for our wedding, and stayed in one of those rooms.

Zero Gold Passport points. The discounted group rate wasn't an Eligible Rate, per the T&C. T&C also state that, even with eligible rates, you can only earn for up to three rooms.

But the credit card bill should be a nice haul!

7. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend recently booked a large number of rooms for a convention with I think Hilton. He got a large chunk of points (80k?) and some other perks like use of a meeting room.

If you're booking 20+ rooms, it can't hurt to ask the hotel about possible booking bonuses or discounts.

tondoleo likes this.
  8. joannelj

joannelj Active Member

Status Points:
    Well, I decided to pick the hotel based on price, and how well it suited the trip I am arranging, and then worry about points. So I ended up with a Hyatt - which will only give a single reservation points. So I will get points for my room. And if any other adult wants to, they can get points for their room. But that's all. Bummer.

On the plus side, I'll be using a points credit card to pay for all the rooms, so like harvson3 says, that should be a nice haul!

9. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once your group is big enough you can probably negotiate most things with the hotel. However, don't expect just to book 20 rooms and get the points on them.