Do hotel star ratings mean anything anymore?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, May 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do hotel star ratings mean anything anymore?

sobore, Newscience and gregm like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is that most people misunderstand what the stars mean, especially outside the USA. They define the types of services offered, not necessarily how well they are delivered.

uggboy and pointshogger like this.
  3. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that hotel reviews end up having more weight than stars these days.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only star ratings that I pay attention to are no stars and one stars. I have stayed in various level hotels (and motels) before, particularly in the oil field, and I can stay about anywhere. (One even required an additional amount to guarantee that they would not sell the other bed!!!)
    But as I have gotten older (and gotten married!) I find that a lodging with no stars is just not acceptable. One star might be acceptable if nothing else is available (large scale event like the Indy 500 or a national political convention) but in most cases will look for at least a two star. Anything above that is gravy.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    A great article - thanks for posting, uggboy! Hotel ratings are only meaningful if the same standard is used for all the rated hotels, such as by the AAA in the US, as mentioned in the article. And online hotel ratings by hotel "guests" are sometimes laughable, and could be outright fabrications.

I once stayed at a self-appointer "5 star" hotel in the Mideast, where the hotel's 5 stars were featured everywhere the hotel's logo was displayed. I wouldn't have given this hotel more than 1 star (or maybe 2 stars on a particularly good day when I was served coffee at breakfast instead of having to find where the coffee pot was hidden!). But, no one was removing those 5 stars from the hotel marquee!

uggboy likes this.
  6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    in China it seems they were confused by the question of how many stars the hotel was rated and the management thought it was how many clocks were above the reception desk :p

FetePerfection likes this.
  7. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think in days of old, there was a gold-standard used for hotel ratings which really meant something. I think it was Forbes. I agree that now it's pretty subjective and self-appointed and means different things to different people, chains and countries. I've got an idea! I'll try to standardize the ratings across the world, starting with "Luxury"...now who will pay me to undertake this endeavor?

uggboy and Wandering Aramean like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it is only self-appointed in certain countries (e.g. USA). In many countries there are strict standards which define the star ratings.

uggboy likes this.
  9. Elia

Elia New Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know star ratings tell more about the infrastructure and service and how they are implemented. But as it was said in the discussion it should be accompanied by reviews from guests that have visited the place. When you visit a 5 star + rated hotel you shouldn't worry to much I guess.

uggboy likes this.