Do Hilton properties open up last minute reward stay availability?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Mikus33, Sep 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While waiting for some Virgin Atlantic points to transfer to HHonors, the 50,000 pt redemption option at the Hilton San Francisco Financial District went away, and only a premium room reward option at 107,800 points is left. Is there a (even the slightest) chance that Hilton will open up the 50,000 pt option later? The stay is in a couple weeks, so my guess is no, but I figured I'd ask the Hilton experts.

Most likely, I'll be Pricelining/Hotwiring it up for this stay if nothing opens up.

marcwint55 and deant like this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The problem you have is that there are no "standard" or lowest level rooms available. If someone cancels then a low level reward room MAY become available. But the key is that someone needs to cancel.

Good luck

Mikus33 and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what dates you where looking at but I can see 50k award inventory for the dates of Sept 27-30th.
    I also not that the same 50k awards are available for a lot more nights around the same time frame at the San Francisco Hilton (Union Square)

Mikus33 likes this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mikus33 likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if they have been discontinued but I have more than one ocasion booked award rooms for less points than the listed standard award. The only way to find these however is to search all the available awards for the specific property.

Mikus33 and iolaire like this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would call Hilton directly as well as the hotel manager and see if they can help you. I've had success doing that in the past.

Mikus33 likes this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whereas that might be good advice under some circumstances I can't see how that could possibly help the OP

a) The hotel has no input/control/knowledge over the transfer of points from a FF program
    b) As stated above there is some availibilty ... assuming his "couple of weeks" = 2 weeks:).
    b) September is a busy tourist period in the city and while some inventory may turn up... I wouldnt hope or expect
    this situation to change in " a couple of weeks"... but you never know.

Mikus33 and marcwint55 like this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many years ago a Hilton in Paris was able to get me a room using points when it did not show as available.

I am also staying at a Hyatt over new year in Hawaii and when told by a gold passport rep that suite upgrades were not available, I called the manager who was able to handle my request. He actually told me to call the hotel first in the future as they have more control over that than does gold passport.

Mikus33 and newbluesea like this.
  9. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The night I was looking for is Sept 22. I did call Hilton directly tonight to give it a shot, and they said there is nothing available. On the bright side, they said they'd offer me 500 Hilton points to listen to an offer for 70-90% off, blah blah blah. They transferred me over, and for some reason there was no offer for me, but they said I'd get the 500 points anyway.

I tried to call the manager at the Hilton SF Financial District, someone answered and tried to transfer me to the front desk to talk to a manager, but it just rang and rang. I might give it a shot again, just to see. Looks like I'll have to check back to see if anyone cancels each day (depending on how much I decide I care about staying there vs. hotwire/priceline).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    iolaire and OverThereTooMuch like this.
  11. OverThereTooMuch

OverThereTooMuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was also waiting for a points transfer, so I was anxiously checking availability at a hotel. I found that there were multiple changes over a 4 week period, as days moved back and forth between premium availability, standard and even no availability. It's not clear if what I saw was standard practice (i.e. a cancelled reservation moves back into the award stay pool), or if the hotel was just constantly making updates based on demand. I would tend to suspect that there's some complex software that manages all of this.

Mikus33 likes this.
  12. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    A year or so ago, I did have success with a Diamond Desk Customer Rep. contacting a hotel on my behalf and booking a non-standard room at the standard room room redemption level (no standard rooms were available). It was at The Trafalgar in London. I'm not sure if this experience was atypical, but can't hurt to try.

Mikus33 likes this.
  13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it depends (also how long ago .. a year or so actually was) ..but if this was Diamond Special request, then this benefit is no longer available to HH members for award stays.

deant likes this.
  14. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As newbluesea said, about a year or so ago, Hilton did away with the "Diamond Special Request" or Diamond Force as it was also known. Caused a lot of Diamonds to view the Hilton program was getting watered down. The current policy, as far as I know, is that Hilton will only contact the hotel if NO rooms are available at any points level.

But that being said, it never hurts to call.

15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the Diamond Special Request has been eliminated, there is still enhanced diamond availability for standard awards. I don't price out awards too often, but when I do I often see Diamond Standard Room awards when logged in, but not when logged out. This can be a really nice perk, especially if you want to stay somewhere high-demand for say 1-2 nights.

16. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Technically the hotel should only manage the Premium inventory (offered or not for redemption). If a standard room goes back to the inventory (i.e., cancellation) than a standard room for point redemption should also be available.

If you see a standard room available for sell but not points, I would call Hilton. The problem is to know what is standard in each hotel.

17. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really good information to know. Thanks for that.

Well, it turns out that today standard rooms showed availability for 50,000 points for both the Hilton Financial District and Hilton Fisherman's Wharf. I asked for everyone's opinions on the choice here, and chose the Financial District.

I owe the manager a call back, so I will probably call him to see about changing out my reservation from an accessible room to hopefully a nice high floor bay view room. We'll see how that goes...