Do award flights/hotel stays earn miles/points?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by wanderlust74, Aug 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. wanderlust74

wanderlust74 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I know, I'm totally GREEN and risk being humiliated as a newbie, but I had to ask. In all my research, I have yet to read an explanation about this. For instance, I've booked flights for my family of 4 using UR points. We're flying USAir and AA. I'm a member of both reward programs. So, will I earn miles in the programs, though I'm flying on an award flight?

Same for hotel: booked Hilton using HHonors points. Won't spend a penny for our stay. Will I still earn points?

Tenmoc likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my understanding no you will not.

Only SPG awardnights/C&P will earn you stay/night credit ... though I maybe wrong.

misterbwong likes this.
  3. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you will not earn points at Hilton for award stays, but you should earn stays towards your VIP status... :eek:

4. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    What edekba said. Generally you will not earn any miles/points on award flights/stays. SPG will give you stay credits toward elite status but will not earn points.

Tenmoc likes this.
  5. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know with Priority club, you get 10% of your points back at redemption (possibly only if you have their Visa), so if I book a 30,000 point night with Intercon, then I'd get 3,000 points back.

Tenmoc likes this.
  6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you transferred your Chase UR points to United miles or BA Avios, and then used those miles to book your flights, then no you won't earn miles.

However, if you used your Chase UR points through Chase and bought tickets at the 1.25 cents per point value, then you would earn mile.

sobore, Sunshine7 and Mikus33 like this.
  7. wanderlust74

Status Points:
    Yes! This is what I did, so I should earn miles on USAir and AA. Great!

Thanks for the responses, thus far, everyone. Y'all are helping me so much!

Tenmoc and daemon14 like this.
  8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aha, so now you just need to decide which frequent flyer programs to earn in. Don't forget that you can earn on partner airlines for both. That was Milepoint 101, now for Milepoint 102 ;)

For US Airways, you can earn in any Star Alliance program, including United. Chase allows you to transfer UR points to United, so it's a lot easier to top off a United account than it is to top off a US Airways account. Plus it's generally accepted that United miles are much much more flexible than US Airways miles.

(There are also some other Star Alliance programs that offer some perks, such as Aegean which gives you Star Silver status after flying just 3,000 miles, which means 1 free checked bag on US/United flights domestically. Though the miles are tougher to acquire and redeem since it's a Greek program and doesn't partner with credit card programs. However, the benefits of a free checked bag for everyone in your reservation can save a lot of $ if you don't have a credit card that already allows it.)

As for your AA flight, AA miles are really useful, but they are tougher to acquire. I find that if you have family members who are younger and can't apply for AA credit cards to top off those accounts, earning those miles in British Airways' program is more beneficial since you can set up a Household Account and combine all your BA Avios points from accounts at the same address. Plus BA points can be transferred from Chase and AmEx.

What routes are you flying with US Airways and with AA, and what are your goals for the miles?

9. wanderlust74

Status Points:
    I am so glad to hear about the Star Alliance, cause I would like to fly United more than US Airways. Our route with USAirways is BHM-CLT-SJU and on AA just the reverse. How can I calculate how many miles I'll earn? As I said, I'm such a beginner. Just as I learn one tip, there's yet 100 more to learn!

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. misterbwong

Status Points:
    I've found that http://www.gcmap.com/ gives a reasonably good approximation. Putting in BHM-CLT-SJU shows 1825 miles (one way).

Tenmoc likes this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    misterbwong and Randy Petersen like this.
  12. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Typing in your routes into www.gcmap.com/ will help you approximate how many miles you'll earn.

Flying US Airways BHM-CLT-SJU would earn 1825 miles on United.

On AA, are you flying SJU-MIA-BHM? That would be 1706 miles in AA or BA's programs.

misterbwong likes this.
  13. wanderlust74

Status Points:
    Thanks for these links, misterbwong and edekba!

I forgot to add my goals? I'm really not that interested in earning elite status on any airline or hotel, probably because I've never experienced first class or luxury hotels! I imagine if I did, my goals would change quickly! :) Since we are a one income family, my main goal is just to be able to travel free. We enjoy taking our children on nice vacations and usually just make one "big" trip a year. That being said, we also have some milestones coming up in our family that we'd like to celebrate with a trip: Aug '13~20 yr. anniversary and Sep '14~a particular someone's (ahem) 40th (cough-cough) birthday. ;) So, destinations that are on my list are: western ski resorts (Park City, Utah, Vail, Colorado, Reno, NV), Hawaii, Germany, Switzerland, and Italy.

Tenmoc and free67spirit like this.
  14. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Depending on where you're based, BA Avios might actually be a good option for you for the domestic trips. With the European ones, you might want to stick with an American carrier/FF program since BA (and most non US FFP's) has hefty fuel surcharges.

US Airways off peak awards would be awesome if you plan ahead and are able to go during those dates.

Tenmoc likes this.
  15. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing the OP is from near BHM since that's where they are flying from. I'd definitely go with earning BA points for the domestic trips on AA, and earning UA miles for trips to Europe. US miles could work, but those are less flexible, and OP mentioned wanting to go in summer, which is not during the off-peak dates for US.

16. wanderlust74

Status Points:
    DHN is actually our home airport, but only Delta flies out of there. Other airports within 2 hrs: PNS, ECP (Southwest only), VPS. These are our favorite airports. BHM and ATL are 3 hours away. For flights to SJU, BHM had the best deal, even considering the cost to drive.

I have 127K Avios just waiting to be used. In my naivete, I canceled my Chase BA card when the annual fee was due without asking for a retention bonus (is that what it's called?). Anyway, their search engine stinks and I rarely can find award flights, which frustrates me to no end. But, I'll keep plugging away 'cause they need to be used! So, Avios is definitely an option for domestic flights.

So, perhaps I should focus on using Avios for domestic. In addition, fly Southwest for ski trips, United for Hawaii and international? Given I can transfer UR points to both of these airlines, and I have a Sapphire Preferred card, does that sound like a good plan? Is it bad that I'm leaving AA out?

Tenmoc likes this.
  17. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With BA Avios, you are left to depend on AA's availability to their DFW and MIA hubs from your local airports. From there, you can fly to wherever you need to go. Since BA charges per segment, you're better off if your final destinations are in those general directions (i.e., for you, the Caribbean and Mountain West are the prime spot for domestic Avios redemptions).

International is different for each continent. For Europe, I'd say United, since they don't charge fuel surcharges to Europe. AA miles are better off for Asia.

18. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reading these blogs might help, though it does involve some internet search time:

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/04/how-to-use-british-airways-miles-post-1/
    http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/02/04/american-airlines-award-travel/

Also, I'd recommend that you hold on to your Chase UR points until you find availability for the flights you want, at the last minute. They transfer to airline partners rather quickly. Most people here find better options transferring points to an airline program (and you can still transfer those points into Avios) than redeeming for 1.25 cents per point at the Chase website.

And welcome to Milepoint.

Tenmoc likes this.
  19. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The TPG series is out of date. Those posts were about the old BA Executive Club. The new Avios program is VERY different.

harvson3 likes this.
  20. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True. My :oops:

But his advice about using Qantas to search OW still seems good. Although I couldn't search RJ availability there.

Tenmoc likes this.
  21. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's worth noting that this (cashing in Chase UR points at 1.25 cents per) is, in many cases, not the best valuation/usage of points.