Do Any of the *A Lounges at ZRH Have Ticketed Baggage Check?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by FlyMeAway, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I'm going to be passing through ZRH in the next few weeks with an ~8 hour layover -- I'd like to see the city. I'm flying in on LX C, and am a UA 1K.

Do any of the lounges have ticketed (i.e., secure) baggage check so that I can leave my (heavy) laptop bag behind for the day? I've been to CX lounge in HKG that does this, but haven't had the experience anywhere else.

Barring one of the lounges, does anybody know if there are lockers at ZRH where I could leave a bag for the day?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe the lounges offer this. I definitely didn't see it when I was in the Schengen Biz/Sen lounges in December.

On the lockers front, a quick google search for "left luggage zrh" suggests the answer is yes.

3. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good question. Doing the same thing myself this Spring, but the departing flight will be in LX F (connecting from LH C). So, I can use the F lounge ... does anyone know if that creates more possibilities for a bag drop before I head to the city for a few hours?

4. airoli
    Original Member

airoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    Junca likes this.
  5. benchik
    Original Member

benchik Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many *A lounges are there is ZRH anyway?

I'm flying there again soon and would like to try something new. :)

6. airoli
    Original Member

airoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are 2 lounges marked as *G: The large lounge complex in the Schengen zone of the "airside center", and the smaller former Lufthansa lounge, now operated by Swiss, in the non-Schengen zone near B gates. IMHO, they are not that different in their offerings and ambiance and I don't think the trouble of crossing the Schengen border just for a lounge visit is worthwhile.

In addition, there is the Bellevue Lounge in the non-US departures area of the E gates, but this lounge is not an official *G lounge so AFAIK you only have access as a *G if you depart on one of the airlines who have signed up for it because they operate flights from these gates (LX, TG, SQ come to mind...)

There is also an LX arrivals lounge, landside in baggage claim 1, only open in the mornings (till 13h) and the access policies are again different - it's mainly targeted at incoming long-haul pax.

kiwi likes this.
  7. There is a little less food at the lounge near B gate in my experience than the larger lounge complex in the Schengen zone. However, the one near B gate tends to be far less crowded.

8. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recall having seen lockers downstairs whilst heading for the train station, which is probably a route you'll also take, the train being very convenient to get into the HauptBahnHoff. If you buy the right train ticket you also get free public transport within the city (the machines at ZRH take foreign creditcards)...

9. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When were there and had this same issue, one of the lounge attendants was kind enough to offer us one of the "rest rooms", which can be locked by them if you leave the lounge. I'm not sure, but if IRC, there were three of these in the First lounge. These are wonderful BTW, if you want a quiet space to work, rest or even sleep. In addition to a small work area, there is a bed, and bathroom with shower. The toiletries we were given were quite nice too[​IMG]

10. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Problem with that is the day room may be used by someone else. It isn't fair to other lounge users to block off one of those rooms just to store a bag.

11. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a recollection of storing a small carry on behind the LX F lounge reception desk when I popped out of the lounge for some drinks with FTers in town.

Junca likes this.
  12. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    As jupper mentioned. There are a lot of left luggage lockers near the train station respectively Check-in 3. As far as I know the cost is 5 Swiss Francs for the day. But they are located perfectly anyway, if you want to get into the city. The train is your best option, I'd say.

Junca likes this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Small carry on is possible depending on the people working- however as others have suggsted the left luggage locker is a much better idea usually.

14. Update:

Found the checked luggage lockers near the train station in the airport; it was 5 CHF ($5, as reported). Was initially a little sketched out leaving my laptop there, but the area actually does appear reasonably secure (lots of people, probably obvious if somebody tried to break into a locker).

Had a great time spending the day in Zurich; enjoyed a walk around the city and some Spruengli, followed by an amazing dinner in the LX F lounge.

Thanks for all your help!

JetSet, TRAVELSIG, jupper and 2 others like this.