Do any milepointers besides Randy have a financial stake in milepoint? Is there a way to get one?

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by kokonutz, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kokonutz
    Original Member

kokonutz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just curious. Are any posters being paid by or have stock/equity share in MP?

Is it too late to send in a resume and/or invest?

Gnopps and misman like this.
  2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Does HOM sell stock?

3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    The admins probably have some

misman likes this.
  4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    True to at least the extent of their paycheck (and access to a "private" park, basketball court, laundry and kitchen facilities.)

Heck... if my office had all of the bene's of the HOM, I wouldn't mind actually going in!

5. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are hiring a janitor, you wanna join?

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Privately owned companies do not disclose such information.

7. kokonutz
    Original Member

kokonutz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree they don't HAVE too.

As an investor I just thought it might be fun to try to get in on the ground floor. Randy has a pretty good record for monetizing IBBs. So thought I'd ask.

As a customer I am simply curious to know who has a financial stake in the place. So thought I'd ask.

If the ownership doesn't want to be transparent, that's entirely ownership's prerogative.

I'm just askin'!

jw713 likes this.
  8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a indeed a good investment.

Bonnie likes this.
  9. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a financial stake--to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars worth of free first-class airplane trips and swanky hotel rooms, and I arrived at that figure based on what I have actually already spent.

Maybe I should actually keep track of everything from the beginning until the last mile and point are burned. I remember one family trip to Spain where our airplane tickets alone would have cost over $64,000.00 if we had bought them and our free Concorde tickets would have totalled $24,000.00, which is $88,000.00 for just two trips. :)

I just figured the cost of the airfare only for our currently booked trips and it comes up to $104,197.70 :D :D
    I am sure that the value of my total booty will way exceed $1,000,000.00 before I am done. The one and only time I will be able to say neener neener neener to the IRS. :D

10. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting.

When you walk into a grocery store do you ask the cashier if she owns part of it?

I'm certain that you frequent restaurants. Do you ask the maitre d' who has a financial stake in the place?

The last time you bought a car did you enquire about who owns how much of the dealership?

11. Jeffie
    Original Member

Jeffie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I happen to agree with many that Randy's business is Randy's business. Now, if he were to announce an impeding IPO, I wonder if the issuer would consider trading miles/points for shares??? 100k miles = 10 shares MP? (bonus shares for Elites, of course)

AmericanGirl and IDGflygirl like this.
  12. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I hope Randy makes tons of money off MP on all of his ventures. He has always been very generous in finding fun and intriguing ways to share his largess with the masses.

13. travelfree
    Original Member

travelfree Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any new private venture is a difficult endeavor especially in this tight credit economy. Monetizing the venture is even more uncertain.

Kudos to Randy as he is investing his own time and resources to get MP up and running and to fulfill his vision for the best frequent flyer online community.

Chimpy likes this.
  14. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did the OP speak to Randy?![​IMG]

lin821 and Dovster like this.
  15. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It is my understanding that the answers to your questions are yes... and no. And for whatever reason, those individuals (and/or Randy) do not want to publicly divulge that information.

But a privately held company (or companies) can do what they like... and people pick their investors and partners for specific reasons, no doubt.

Like you, this is something I certainly would have loved to have invested my own money, resources, and/or time in for possible return. But I like how Punki puts it - I still have financial gain to earn in the form of how I use the knowledge I gain here.

Miles, AmericanGirl, Dovster and 2 others like this.
  16. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    touche!

17. WonderBret
    Original Member

WonderBret Silver Member

Status Points:
    I doubt investments would ever be publicly solicited, although I don't want to pretend to speak for Randy. Also, I hope that this thread doesn't get too crazy and take away everyones time from the real purpose of MP. On top of that, while I think that any Randy backed venture would be an amazing opportunity, if he really needed $ he could just have Goldman value it at 50 or 60 million and get some that way. [​IMG]

AmericanGirl and Dovster like this.
  18. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    To the innovators, best of luck on making MP a success and with that may you also be rewarded!

I can personally declare that I have no financial stake/equity in MP! [​IMG] (but wish I did)

I do get a dividend from participating and getting information from this website. I am hoping I get a compound interest on my investment of time when Randy picks my number from the random number generator and awards me an iPad! [​IMG]

lin821, Jeffie, jbcarioca and 4 others like this.
  19. kokonutz
    Original Member

kokonutz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rather than just 'like'ing this post, I thought I'd say that in this case, where most of us have a call to make about who we decide to provide clicks and therefore revenue to, Internet Brands or (one presumes) Randy, Tommy, Gary and Ed, that, as with most highly competitive environments, customer service and responsiveness counts.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: what makes IBBs worth anything is not the owner or moderators, but the knowlegable and experienced/experincing participants, ie, you and me.

If the equity owners of this board want to be coy about their positions, again, that's their prerogotive. But it does not sit well with me, their potential customer and data/revenue/value added supplier. But maybe that's just me. I'm
    perfectly willing to admit that I tend to overthink things.

Until I see a straight answer to this straight question, I'm going to choose to give my knowledge and clicks to IB. They may be corporate whores, but at least they are forthcoming about who and what they are.

Punqi: I have learned a lot from other very frequent flyers on FT (and might from MP too). But I'd suggest that I learned those things from you and Rudi and chex and Ben and Dan and etc etc etc. In other words, FT is not the product, it is the medium. WE are the product.​

NewbieRunner likes this.
  20. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, since I don't have a choice when it comes to FF boards, ;) I'll hang out here, missing you dearly. :D :D

Seriously, if and when there is money to be made, I don't care who makes it. My suspicion is that Randy is making the initial investments and taking the financial risks attached thereto, so why shouldn't he make money? If people are willing to work along side him for free (or even for pay) during the start-up, why shouldn't they share in any money that might eventually be made? Mox Nix (macht nichts for you Germans) to me. It does seem, however, that Gleff has denied any financial interest in or gain from MP on several occasions and I have no reason not to believe him. I have no idea on earth who Don is and only barely know Tommy, except for the fact that I have seen him working very hard on this venture. Why should I care if he gets paid?

I have also heard FT Oldtimers questioning Randy's ethics for starting a new, competing FF site. I don't get that either. Sure we made massive contribiutions to FT in the very early days and put a lot of time and effort into greasing the wheels and getting the machine rolling, so there was a vehicle for Pudding Guy and the mass of followers to jump on. I was even there when original members gifted Randy with the www.flyertalk.com url, but that's that.

Randy sold the FT site, lived out his non compete, and has moved on to something else. Why wouldn't it be another FF site? After all that's what he knows. My advice would be to concentrate on your running and your beautiful bride and not overthink MP.

P.S. It still leaves me scratching my head when I remember that I got permanentlly banned for posting the exact same thing that you did in our private forum. You are obviously a much more dedicated rabble rouser than I will ever be. :D :D Darned silver-tongued lobbyists. ;)

21. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randy is married, so unless he's open to polygamy [​IMG][​IMG], I guess the "equity via marriage" path is out. [​IMG]

22. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You and me both.

It didn't take too much asking before I found some very interesting information about the who/what/when of the whole deal. I won't lie that my eyebrows were a bit raised after I heard a few different versions of the same basic story both from involved parties and those in the know. I will tell you that from the sounds of it, this isn't anything I'd want to get financially into the middle of now as an investor because it sounds to me like a big tangled ball of yarn with some inappropriately selected confidantes.

Perhaps that's the reason for coyness - but I think it's more about protecting other ventures and interests - for some, it would just not be good to lose their appearance of objectivity. But it's their business - and I just hope Randy comes out ahead in it all. He's the reason I'm here despite now having a few good reasons to NOT want to be here.

Call me voyeuristic, but as another business owner who has been tangled up in some interesting partnerships with folks with differing objectives of the parties involved, it's an interesting case study to watch from the sidelines. Having taken similar actions myself (not always with the outcomes or consequences I intended), it's intriguing to me.

23. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The phrase that sums it up for me is "strange bedfellows".

Gaucho likes this.
  24. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Do you use that bases anywhere else when you choose where to do business?
    I go to a coffee shop regularly, no one has seen fit to tell me who owns it or what they do with the money they get from me. Same with the gas station where I fill up my tank and buy lottery tickets, or the grocery store where I buy vegetables. Why the hostility in this one isolated case?

savydog, sobore, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  25. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I actually know the owners of many of the businesses I choose to give my time/loyalty to. And your example is a bit uneven in that the grocery store owner doesn't expect me to pick the vegetables for him, the coffee shop owner doesn't ask me to stay around and hang out and make the place somewhere that other customers find attractive and want to hang out. If they were asking me to give my time and energy, I'd definitely take an interest in who was making money of that and whether I supported their values and such.

The "issue" (if you can call it that, and I'm not sure I can) is that some people appear to have blatantly lied about their equity position with the venture. I think a good number of people who came over to MP came because of their loyalty to Randy and might not have if they knew that they were potentially lining the pockets of other community members. It puts the community on unequal footing.

I think (and I may be wrong) is that Koko's point is that with IB, he at least knows who is making the money off any clicks or monetization of the information he is providing.

Gaucho likes this.