Do any mid-tier elites get PreCheck?

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by gleff, Jun 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    A reporter is looking for help from the Milepoint community: Top tier elites, Global entry, Nexus folks get PreCheck (participating airlines/checkpoints).

But do any elites other than top-tier elites qualify for PreCheck with any airline?

Reply here or start a conversation with GlobeTrotScott

Thanks, Gary

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Platinums and at least sometimes golds on delta get it. Platinums were invited from the beginning, golds have been trickling in more recently.

A Gold coworker with no trusted traveler memberships has been selected at MSP, for example.

3. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL Gold but precheck due to amex plat reimbursement

4. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was opt'd in as a PLT on AA and then I bought global entry.

5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm gold with Delta and have had it at DTW, but when the airport isn't busy it's just as fast (if not faster) to go through on the bridge level, rather than take an escalator up to ticketing, walk to the check point, and then take another one back down.

DTWBOB

6. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got it as both AA Platinum and DL Gold, both during the initial phase last year.

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get NEXUS and/or Global Entry.

8. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I opted in and have successfully used it at the only two AA stations I have originated from that offer the feature. I am an AA 'Platinum', not 'Executive Platinum'. I went through the 'Pre-Check' at McCarran/Las Vegas with another man who told me he is AA 'Gold', one tier further down, and he told me he did not qualify that way, and wanted it so badly that he was willing to spend $100 to join 'Global Entry'.

I guess that's one way of saying that AA elites were offered it down through 'Platinum' tier, but not 'Gold.'

9. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have it as a Delta Gold--was not aware until sent to the PreCheck line at LGA a week or two ago. I do like it.
    I am going to do Global Entry but I don't travel out of the country enough yet....but this could change if a new project in Canada comes to fruition.

Also sent a note to GlobeTrot Scott.

10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am US Airways Gold and was invited to PreCheck (and then joined). I have not flown since being invited to join so have not personally experienced the PreCheck at TSA security.

11. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was lowest-tier Alaska elite (MVP) when I was told about it. I had been AS MVPG for 2011, but when PreCheck came out for AS in March 2012, I had been basic MVP for a couple of months.

12. Rgruenwald

Rgruenwald Silver Member

Status Points:
    Global Entry, $100, good for 5 years, works great

13. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or 5+ years, if you get a good officer.

14. Bobtray

Bobtray Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received the sign up offer with UA as a Gold.

15. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:

Great reference points!

Are either of you NEXUS or Global Entry members?

Bobtray likes this.
  16. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:

If you are going to do Canada, sign up for the NEXUS program first. Global Entry only gives the trusted traveler status in one direction (to the U.S.). NEXUS enables it in both directions. And NEXUS is only $50 to sign up. Make sure to and to try and sign up ASAP the moment you know you'll be doing the Canadian work. The big reason is because NEXUS (and Global Entry) sign-up is a two-step process. Send in the application (by snail mail or the faster way through GOES), then you get your conditional approval. Both programs require a face-to-face interview, with NEXUS that must be done in Canada (if you want to get the iris scans done at the same time). And securing those appointments, especially at busy locations like Toronto, can take awhile.

Plus, you'll be automatically enrolled into Global Entry once you successfully enroll into NEXUS.

17. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not.

18. Bobtray

Bobtray Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a GE member, but I didn't have the impression that that was what triggered the offer. I could easily be wrong about that however.

19. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    NEXUS and GE members are in. But when depends on the airline's participation in the TSA program (getting the information embedded into the barcode onto the BP).

20. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Milepoint gets an AP mention on this.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/The-fastest-way-through-airport-security-3679027.php

goalie and Captain Oveur like this.
  21. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    My mother got it as an AA PLT. Of note, she got her PLT via a challenge, completed via paid J class flights, so 10K+ points but only about 7K+ miles to achieve that status.

Meanwhile, I'm a lifetime GLD flying mostly domestic mid-cons. So 10x more lifetime miles than her, probably 5x more annual segments and 2x more annual miles, yet no offer for me. It's actually the first time in a while that I've had PLT envy.

kansaskeith likes this.
  22. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your mom's Pre-check is the reason for your PLT envy -- assuming your record is clear and that you either live or travel near a site where you have to go for interviews -- spring for the $100 and sign up for Global Entry which will have the effect, to oversimplify here, of getting you at least as a high a Pre-check usage as she has. First trip through Pre-check and chances are you will celebrate, IMHO.

If your envy goes beyond that, I understand. I can't really put my finger on it, but imagined or not, when I moved up from "Gold" to "Lifetime Platinum" (largely because of things that used to count toward the lifetime program that don't anymore), I just got the feeling in my mind that I was getting better treatment (which hadn't been bad in the first place) when I was talking to anyone in AA and the letters "PLT" were showing on their screens. All evidence of course is that this would be even more if those letters on the screen were "EXP." Plus, I would get neat stuff as far as upgrade policy, a different "desk," and free redeposit of redeemed miles not used. AA quite properly wants us all to have a little "envy" for the next level up, but in my case it's not in the cards, so I really just don't have the envy for "Executive Platinum." In yours, if there's any way you can redirect your usage and miles, sure, have the "PLT envy" and go for it, if not, spring for the $100 Global Entry and remember that your existing "Gold" benefits still ain't all that bad!

swag likes this.
  23. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not much other PLT envy, actually. I have a higher upgrade % as a GLD than I did as a PLT (because I'm now flying leisure routes/times, when I was PLT it was because of lots of business travel)... The 100% bonus would be nice, but I have plenty of RDM... Lounge access is no big deal since I rarely fly internationally... I'll miss free access to MCE seats after 2013, but that's in the future... so for now, I don't miss PLT, except for the PreCheck.

EXP would be sweet, I do envy those folks, but that's way out of reach for now.

I'm considering dropping the C-note for GE, just for the PreCheck. I hate the idea of having to spend to get a reasonable security process, but I suppose the $100 is still actually a lot cheaper than Mom's PLT challenge enrollment cost.

kansaskeith likes this.
  24. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have Global Entry, CLEAR, and senior elite status on AA, DL, and UA. AA, DL, and UA all claim I am registered for PreCheck. So far in some half dozen cities I have flown out of with PreCheck for my airline I have always been told my boarding pass is not coded to PreCheck. I even showed the airline email saying I am cleared for PreCheck and the TSA people don't care.

kansaskeith likes this.
  25. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe Premier Gold on United get it (but I'm not sure about Silver). I signed up my fiance, and we both sailed through PreCheck without a problem.