Do all airlines let you use miles to upgrade a revenue ticket?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by thewhitezone, Nov 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. thewhitezone

thewhitezone Active Member

Status Points:
    I only recently discovered this option with AAdvantage. To me, 15k miles + $75 is a worthwhile use of miles. Most of my flying is transcon so it almost always makes sense.

What other programs offer similar ?

Newscience likes this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta gives unlimited domestic upgrades (HI excluded) beginning at their lowest level.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    For domestic US travel, UA, US, DL, AA & AS all offer upgrades with miles. The specific rules vary but the general concept is there. Lots of other airlines do, too. I'd be hesitant to say all as I'm sure there are some which do not but many if not most do.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got a similar offer with UA to upgrade from IAD to ATL for 17.5K miles and $75, return upgrade on US for 20K. Wandering Aramean is correct, all the majors do the same. I won't bother upgrading for couple of hours flight time, as I feel it's a waste of miles. Saving miles for use with long-haul upgrades makes perfect sense to me, especially after having been on too many long-haul trips sitting in steerage class. :confused:

Of course, as you likely know, there's no such thing as an "upgrade" on SWA. As SWA likes to say: "all our seats are in first class"! Therefore, you can use SWA points for free trips, but not upgrades.