Do airline phone ticketing agents get a commission/cut of phone booking fees?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Max M, Jun 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I realize that there are various commission structures in place for various areas of travel booking, but do airline phone ticketing agents receive a cut of the typical $25+ phone booking fees when one purchases an airline ticket over the phone [or do the airlines use the phone booking fees to assist paying a base wage to airline phone ticketing employees] .

I ask because in the event of booking complex award travel, I'd like to reward an agent in some way besides sending a compliment letter/email.

joesmoe and marcwint55 like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, at the major US carriers, they do not get a formulaic cut.

Max M, joesmoe and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    they do not. If you want to reward someone for the work, you might try having a travel agent book it for you and pay them their fee. Sometimes it is easier to let someone else spend the time if it is truly a complex award needed.

joesmoe and Max M like this.
  4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the information. :)

I was wondering because in the past I've had agents do a really complex award, and then just put it on hold until I could firm up hotel options.

My concern was that if I had one agent do all of the work on booking a complex reward and just have it held, and the second agent does the simple task of merely ticketing the complex award on hold, I would prefer that the first agent somehow be rewarded for the complex task, rather than the simple task of changing a held award to a ticketed award. :)

joesmoe and marcwint55 like this.
  5. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, but being a high grossing agent will gain an agent some priority/seniority, which is nice for them.

Max M and joesmoe like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does booking a complex (and potentially costly for the airline) award ticket help them become a high grossing agent, though?

joesmoe likes this.
  7. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, unfortunately not, my understanding is that is based on the dollar value of the tickets they book.

joesmoe likes this.