Do AC flight attendants get taught anything about wines and spirits?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Canadi>n, Apr 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't count the number of times I have been given The Glenlivet when I've asked for a Scotch on the Rocks on a flight in J and had to explain to the FA that Glenlivet is a single malt and should not be served in this fashion, and that she should find the JW Black or Chevas. Similarly having ordered a white wine with my appetizer and salad, after being served my steak I am never asked if I'd like to see the red wine selection and most often on wide bodies it takes a good 20-minutes before they come around with a second pouring of dinner wines when the change can be made.

These are basics that anyone in the hospitality industry should be taught and know. Now I realize FAs are there first and foremost for safety reasons, but particularly in the J cabin they are also delivering a premium service a part of which is an understanding of proper food and drink service.

Maybe AC should hire a few of us to give talks to their FAs about how these little things should be done. After all it's these little touches that make a big difference when we compare AC's inflight service to what we get from FAs on SQ and the other vaunted foreign carriers. And both NZ and QF make a point of training their FAs to know something about the wines from their respective countries as a matter of pride. Perhaps AC might learn a thing or two and start sourcing some good BC and Ontario wines and teach FAs about them!

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Mozzarella
    Original Member

Mozzarella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree 100% - especially the last part about promoting good Ontario & BC wines. I'm tired of hearing that all we're good for is icewine.

mtacchi likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    tomh009 likes this.
  5. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Champagne versus sparkling wine,anyone?

6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always Champagne - sadly rarely served.

7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    They must be used to working the rear cabin where the red wine is always well chilled!

8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Red wine should not be served a room temperature - at least not what we consider room temperature today - however that does not mean dropping a cube in which has the added effect of watering it down.

9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    room temperature in France..... ;)

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    room temperature in medieval times, before central heating.

11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly!

$58C4F5A6B822892B.gif

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get annoyed when they call anything with bubbles "champagne." I get extremely annoyed when they try to serve me the awful ground/gate sparkling stuff to me when we're up in the air and yes, I certainly can tell the difference.

13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you there ... at least be honest and call it what it is.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    And when I have an expensive TATL/TPAC ticket, don't try to be lazy or save money by pretending that you're not aware that there's different champagne on the menu for post-departure beverages.

However, I've seen a few flights where the good stuff was poured on the ground, either a catering mistake or delays caused them to run out of the ground swill. So when I'm offered pre-departure "champagne" I always cross examine the FA about whether it's the same as they serve in the air. At this point, other passengers look amazed.

15. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Luckily on some airlines they still actually pour it from the bottle in front of you........

16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    True that! Scary getting mystery beverage ;)

QSG likes this.
  17. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    On my flgiht to NRT the Dow's Port was corked. By the time I was able to get someone's attentino they had poured most of the (not very full) J cabin. To their credit, they did go and change it out for the other pax - which caused some confusion from people who seemed to think it tasted just fine.

tomh009 and ACMM like this.
  18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    :p

Did you get accolades for the remainder of the flight from the cabin?

19. I import BC wines into Hong Kong, everyone loves them, and generally has no idea Canada makes wine.

20. lots of people in Canada have no idea we have Canadian wine... LOL people like Iggy who have lived out of Canada or 30years. :) :)

Tangoer likes this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of people in the USA think Canadian wines mean Inniskellen and nothing else. It's hard to find them, even in Minnesota. I always look for them and try to experiment in good restaurants in Canada.

22. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    We need a thread where we match Canadian wines with Tim Horton products......:D

23. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mike Wier and TimBits maybe? :p

24. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    By that you obviously mean Inniskillin's ice wines not their table wines. Since this, and Chateau des Charmes were the two Niagara wineries that revolutionized the eastern Canadian industry, their other varietal and even hybrids should be acknowledged.

25. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, tomorrow night at my birthday party I will be serving a Quebec-made maple syrup/Canadian rye whiskey liqueur to go with the cake. Should be interesting...

Will have to see what AC serves with dinner on the flight back from YEG-YYZ on Sunday. Can't say I'm a fan of either of the current reds. But looking forward to a tasting in the air of New Zealand wines next Friday on my NZ flight from PVG-AKL. Always a treat!