Do 016 tickets on LH get counted for GS qual/re-qual?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ClarkyBoy, Jan 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

For the first time after 8 years of 1K i got into GS

Fly alot the SFO-FRA-BLR route, as there is no united flight to BLR (unless you do SFO-EWR-DEL-BLR 2 stop. or SFO-HKG and then HKG-BLR on OneWorld).

My question is, as half of these flights are on LH (016 ticket) does anyone know if those are counted toward GS re-qualification? if not i'd be hard pressed to go do a 2-stop route which sucks but might end up worth it in the long run.

Thoughts?

ClarkyBoy

chrislacey and Garp74 like this.
  2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nobody knows the answer to that, ClarkyBoy. My strong opinon: take SFO-FRA-BLR, book it on 016 ticket stock for the PQDs and capped 75k RDMs, and enjoy the A388. And if you upgrade with a GPU to F, you get the LH First lounge in FRA which I'm betting is nice :)

ClarkyBoy likes this.
  3. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am pretty sure its only the $$$ spent on UA (or UX) operated flights that count for GS qualification.
    (ETA - I am not the authority on this....but this is similar to getting MillionMiler miles only on UA/UX flights (and Copa for a couple more months this year).

I like @Garp74 idea of upgrading to LH F with GPU.
    However, if you are after GS for next year, then you may need to do the 2 stop (via DEL or BOM).
    Another (longer) option is go to SIN all the way on UA; then get a flight to BLR....with that routing, you will easily need another 12 hours or more to get to BLR (compared to DEL).

I suggest avoiding the HKG-BLR segment ...its operated by DragonAir i believe, and according to reports from TOBB that flights gets canceled / delayed a lot.

ClarkyBoy likes this.
  4. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nobody knows for sure. It isn't published, and anecdotal evidence of the last few years is all over the place. The only thing United has said publicly is that it's about dollars, not miles, and that there must be premium fares in there (which doesn't clarify whether only premium fares count, or whether there's a minimum spend in premium cabins, or any other permutations).

All I know for sure is I made GS this year for the first time with:
    $69,265 in United Metal spending
    $31,162 in LH and SAA spend on 016 ticket stock (so $100,427 total PQDs)
    ... and the vast majority of the United Metal spend was E, M, B, Y, D, J, A and F, with a heavy slant to D, J, A, and F.

5. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're going to go west, as @snod08 suggests as an alternative, I'd strongly recommend finding the fortitude to say "screw the PQDs/status" and enjoy Singapore Air business class on SFO-SIN, then find a flight to Bangalore. You don't need GS if you're flying to Bangalore a lot, as you're better off (in my opinion) flying other airlines. For the record, I'm not sure I'd be able to find the fortitude to do this, either. :)

rggale and snod08 like this.
  6. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the stupid question but just double-checking - when everyone says 016 ticket stock - these are tickets i buy on united website that combine SFO-FRA on UA and FRA-BLR on LH, and they always get the 016 ticket number?

7. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. If United tickets it -- if you buy it from United on the website or over the phone, and it shows up in your account on the website, then it's ticketed with 016 ticket stock. You can see that by viewing the receipt on any itinerary, and looking at the ticket number towards the top.

United can ticket LH from SFO-LHR and your onwards journeys on LH, and you'll (at the very least) get PQDs for the fares paid.

United won't ticket Singapore from SFO-SIN (as far as I can tell; I can never get United to book Singapore Air for me) or your onwards journeys to Bangalore, so you won't get PQDs for it and it likely won't count towards GS re-qualification (a guess, but it makes sense).

8. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got it, Thanks Garp!
    Now how many people are going to start using one ways's to get double 75k's? :)
    ClarkyBoy

9. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they can get it past their corporate accounting department . . . I certainly can't. That would trigger an audit, and I'm not risking my job over RDMs.

ClarkyBoy likes this.
  10. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here :)

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's what a rejection letter from the GS reconsideration request looks like:

Explicitly says UA-operated. I'd consider that a hint if GS matter to you.

mht_flyer, Garp74 and ClarkyBoy like this.
  12. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks... I figured that :(

Boy, I got GS this year just to start taking 2-stop flights now to keep it? :)

ClarkyBoy

13. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are taking UA metal between SFO and FRA, though, those segments should count toward GS requal because they are operated by UA and are ticketed on 016 stock. The FRA-BLR-FRA on LH will not count toward GS requal, but will count for UA PQDs if booked on 016 stock.

ClarkyBoy and Wandering Aramean like this.
  14. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks CGK - got it.

Still missing the $$$ re-qual on FRA-BLR-FRA stings, but alas you can not have it all.

ClarkyBoy

15. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm doing it. After my experiences on SQ and TK this year already, f*ck United long-haul.

radonc1951, Xyzzy, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.