DM Changes: New Mileage Upgrade to First Chart, Silver Baggage Allowance, Quick Ticketing Fee

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by DeacFlyer1, Dec 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few changes to the Dividend Miles program just announced: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/Program-changes.html

1. New mileage levels for upgrading a paid ticket to First, as well as co-pays at each level (price increases by length of flight).
    2. Silvers lose 2nd checked bag free (starting with bookings today)
    3. The $75 "Quick ticketing fee" for booking award travel now applies to bookings made within 21 days of travel (it was previously 14 days).

All preferred members are exempt from the mileage upgrade co-pay (as well as full fare Y, B tickets); CP, PP, and GP are exempt from the quick ticketing fee.

Mileage upgrades levels have really dropped from the across-the-board 15,000 it used to be:

5,000 for flights < 500 miles
    6,000 for 500 - 999 miles
    7,500 for 1000-1,499 miles
    9,000 for 1,500-1,999 miles
    10,000 for 2,000+ (all of these for US/Canada)
    15,000 for Hawaii, Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America

I would think this may have a significant impact on UDU availability, particularly on longer flights...

2. bna_based

bna_based Silver Member

Status Points:
    It does state that it is "each way/flight" which I am presuming to be for each segment. Hopefully they will block upgrades to allow premium members a chance for free upgrades ....

3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Less mileage but now they add surcharges...waved for elites:) It will be interesting to see how this affects UDU inventory.

Region

Flight length (in miles)

Miles required

Mileage upgrade fee*

US/Canada <500 5,000 $25
    US/Canada 500 - 999 6,000 $50
    US/Canada 1,000 -1499 7,500 $75
    US/Canada 1,500 -1,999 9,000 $100
    US/Canada 2,000+ 10,000 $150
    Mexico n/a 15,000 $150
    Caribbean n/a 15,000 $150
    Central America n/a 15,000 $150
    Hawaii n/a 15,000 $150

4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still think this is going to hurt UDU availability on longer routes. Take CLT-DEN for example...it's a little over 1300 miles, so it would fall into the 7,500 mile bucket. That flight is blocked at almost 4 hours, so it's a meal flight--I think we may see a lot of elites say "only 7,500 miles to lock in that upgrade on a long flight where I'm going to have full meal service? That's half of what it used to cost me..." and confirm the upgrade with miles without thinking twice, whereas if you had to drop 15,000 miles on that as in the past, you probably would've held out.

SC Flier and AVLedie like this.
  5. mladden

mladden Member

Status Points:
    How successful have you been using miles to upgrade? Does it make a big difference on which coach class you have? Do you just call the preferred line to check on availability?

6. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    How is a flight defined? What about thru flights? e.g. LGA-CLT-PHX with 1 flight number? If it carries the same flight number, not only does the complimentary upgrade tricky as it needs both segments to have availability. If we could treat these routes as 1 flight, these types of routes could theoretically lower the upgrade cost vs. individual segments.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  7. AVLedie

AVLedie Active Member

Status Points:
    Who knows how they will specifically implement this change (with flights or segments), but with the current system, the number of miles required is the same whether it takes 1, 2, or 3 segments (or flight numbers) to get there. The catch is that mileage upgradable seats have to be available on all the aircraft you would be flying on. As for them "blocking" paying upgraders in favor of the free Preferreds, what do you think will happen?

8. AVLedie

AVLedie Active Member

Status Points:
    The earlier you book, the better the odds. Take a look at the 1st class seating chart for the flights you're interested in -- if it's full, forget it; empty you've got it made. [Don't understand your second question.] Yes, I think for now you have to call to check availability. I always fork out the agent fee and have them book it right then and there, and ***more than once the agent has deducted less miles than are supposedly required***. I don't know what's going on there, but hey, I'll take it! I can never say this rule enough (from my best friend that worked her way up for 20+ years thru all the ranks to be now at AA headquarters): ALWAYS BE NICE TO YOUR AIRLINE PEOPLE! From the phone agents, ticket counter agents, gate agents, fight attendants -- I've seen it over and over -- passengers who are polite and empathic get everywhere and the a**holes get nowhere!!!

9. AVLedie

AVLedie Active Member

Status Points:
    Okay, here's my question: [I would call a DM rep but I often know more about things than they do] What about upgrading a companion who is not preferred? Will we have to pay a fee for them? Any speculations, at least?

10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It should would that if the non-prefered is flying on the same PNR as the preferred member (G,P,C) then the fee would be waved.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  11. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a good point. Only time will tell.

12. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a brandy new Gold, this concerns me as I really was looking forward to better upgrade odds. Of course it does make me happy that I can upgrade for less. I think time will tell, but if upper level preferreds aren't getting upgraded on longer flights, I can see miles being spent which will just drive the trend.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  13. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a good question....how are "direct" (one stop, but same flight number) flights priced?

Based on my reading of the chart which says "each way/per flight," I interpret that to mean if you're flying PIT-CLT-BNA, you'd have to pay 5,000 + 5,000 to upgrade both legs of that trip.

14. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just another money grab from US. :rolleyes:

SC Flier likes this.
  15. Gulfstream 550

Gulfstream 550 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So long as we still get our comp upgrades in advance, then I am ok with this. Actually, I might look at the comments DeacFlyer made about meal service and burn up some miles to be guaranteed that upgrade a week or so out if it is super important to me. Being gold, I am glad the quick ticketing fee is going away and I do not have to pay miles and points for an upgrade in advance.

16. I just found out about the loss of the 2nd checked bag for Silver Preferred. I am upset about this change to the point that I would like to use other airlines. It just seems that the Silver is always getting hit with downgrades and I just wonder what is next. This past year I felt that I did not get much benefit other than the luggage and maybe a rare upgrade. Any suggestion of other airlines/loyalty programs. Unfortunately the closest airport is Philadelphia.

SC Flier likes this.
  17. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, Silver isn't much better at other airlines...You would also only get one free checked bag being the equivalent of Silver on United. I think you would still get two free with Delta, but upgrades as a Silver would be even harder to come by there than on US...so I'm not sure how much benefit you would actually gain by switching.

SC Flier likes this.
  18. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta changed their Silver FO Baggage Allowance to 1 as well. If you have the Delta Amex, it's 2.

Only AA allows 2 bags for 25K flyers.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

19. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Digging up an old thread here...but a few months into this, I (as Platinum) haven't seen any tangible impact of these lower mileage rates on my complimentary upgrade percentage. I've only missed one upgrade this year (CLT-PHX), and have been upgraded on a number of meal-service, transcon flights, so I'm not bothered by this change so far!