DL's Muslim Meal in Domestic F...pretty good!

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by NYBanker, Jun 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually find my self displeased with the quality of meals on domestic first class flights – on Delta or other US-based carriers. Scorched pastas, chicken drenched in sauce and substances marketed as beef are regrettably the norm these days.

A few days ago, I was changing my seat for a flight from LAS-JFK and when going through the seat selection process, I noticed a button to click for “special services.” I was curious and wondered exactly what could be had under this category. Beyond a few disability-related assistance options, there were also options for special meals.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, this was all the information I could find online. Delta didn’t offer any further details of what each meal might contain.

On a lark, I selected the Muslim meal option. I’m quite a fan of most middle eastern foods, so I figured I’d give it a try.

To cut to the chase: I was impressed with what Delta served.

When I printed my boarding pass at LAS, I noticed on the BP that it said “special meal requested.” I had already forgotten about my request, but was pleasantly surprised when I saw the denotation.

After take off, once the flight attendants got up to begin service, an FA came up to me very apprehensively if I had ordered the Muslim meal. (If you stereotype by appearances, you'd conclude I'm unlikely to be of Islamic faith.) I said that I definitely did order a special meal, which clearly relieved her. Knowing Delta only stocks one meal per seat, if there was an error, she probably was thinking there would be a problem.

My meal was brought out from the galley first (despite sitting in the middle of the cabin). The main dish consisted of portions of a number of traditional middle eastern food preparations. With the exception of what I think was supposed to be falafel, which was unpleasantly dry, everything else was really quite flavorful and tasty, with a noticeable (in a good way) amount of spice. By US airline food standards, the quality and preparation of this meal was quite good.

[​IMG]

The salad was the same as what was offered to the regular meals, but for me included olive oil and vinegar instead of the processed dressing offered with the regular meals. I can’t say I know the exact name of all of the items included with the meal, but I was pleased with everything (except the falafel). Whereas the regular meals were served with a cake-like dessert, my meal came with a fresh fruit plate – an ideal dessert. The fruit was ripe and of very good quality – better than I typically associate with fruits served with domestic airline breakfasts.

While not a gourmet meal, compared to what is normally on offer from Delta these days, this meal was pretty good. I have decided try a few of the other special meal choices over the coming months. If you are slightly adventurous food-wise, you might consider the same! Worst case, if you don’t like what you get, you can fill up on bananas and Sun Chips from the snack basket!

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing, NYBanker!! :)

NYBanker likes this.
  3. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know...it actually looks pretty tasty for airplane food. I have tried other special meals in years past but never a muslim meal. Interesting.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have ordered the Hindu vegetarian meal a few times on United when I expected to be stuck in economy on an international trip (no special meal on UA anymore domestically). And for the most part I liked it.

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely looks worth trying! Some vegetarian meals are surprisingly good and tend to travel better then their meat counterpart.

daemon14 likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Plus it adds a bit of a variety to one's airplane (dining) routine.

NYBanker and sobore like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks quite tasty, although I miss the good old days when you could order a hamburger on many flights.

NYBanker likes this.
  8. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my past years of flying UA, I discovered that Muslim = Hindu = Vegetarian on UA. Granted this was 3-4 years ago, so it may have changed now.

I've actually never ordered any special meals now that I'm an AA flyer.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you get a hamburger if you order the children's meal? Or maybe chicken "fingers" :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you that pleased with AA's domestic food offerings? I fly principally AA and DL domestically and really don't think one is better than the other.

11. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't call myself "pleased", but coming from pre-merger UA where they served fruit plates for breakfast and salads for lunch and dinner, switching to AA was certainly a big (positive) change.

I have never flown DL, so I can't say anything about their offerings.

NYBanker likes this.
  12. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Veggie/Muslim meal on AA is not as good as DLs when I've had it on intl flights. Usually bland.

However on the opposite spectrum, I think AA does steak/chicken/lamb better on an apples to apples comparison of midcon, tcon or BE/J. AA is not usually as fancy in description/presentation, but delivers less rubber/stringy proteins in execution.

Also I find that AA does a better job of feeding you decent food on midcons and even on shorter flights. DL always feels like they are trying to find a reason to not feed you unless your on a longer flight at just the right times. Otherwise it's "snack basket for you". I will say when there is food on offer DL has better variety of menu generally whereas I get tired of eating 4 chicken quesadillas a week :)

Also OT, but AA's complimentary buy on board sandwich/item and beer/wine for EXPs in coach takes the sweat out of upgrades around meal times (even though 98% clear).

Anyway sorry to go OT here.

Juanefny likes this.
  13. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the operative word for the meal should be "Hallal", rather than Muslim.

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except that on the website it's selected as "Muslim Meal."

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

15. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:

So perhaps they should update the website, since Hallal refers to food fit for consumption by devout Muslims, much like Kosher refers to food fit for consumption by devout Jews.

Just sayin' :confused:

16. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the same thoughts about special meals until I ordered a low sodium meal a few years back. (I do have to watch my sodium intake.)

The FA first brought out the usual turkey sandwich, then I asked about my special meal. The turkey sandwich was removed and replaced with a godawful cooked onion sandwich. :eek: (I hate onions.) I didn't have the nerve to ask the FA to bring back the turkey sandwich, so I scraped off the onions and munched on the bread.:(

Last time I ordered a special meal.

David

traveller99 likes this.
  17. sterno24
    Original Member

sterno24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. Thanks for the reminder. Usually think about it when I don't have access to request.
    All queued up for Friday night from DTW to SFO.

Cheers.

18. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Muslim meal party on Friday? I may need to participate.