DL will allow you to buy expired miles back after 2+ years

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jmrich1432, Jun 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a friend who was flying DL exclusively for 3-4 years and managed to rack up a rather hefty mileage total in his account. He stopped traveling as much and when he went on to his account (Jan 2009 -ish) was surprised to find his miles had all expired. Miles can be re-activated on DL.com for a fee if they've expired less than 2 years ago. https://www.delta.com/skymiles/manage_account/reactivate_miles/index.jsp?src=d

We called today and got an awesome CSR who looked into it and was able to over-ride the 2 year limit. At first the CSR didn't think it was possible, but after looking into it she was able to do it! IMO getting over 200k miles back for a 20 minute phone call and $250 was well worth it. Just wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to re-activate an account that has expired more than 2 years ago.

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's good news, and the policy makes sense- it brings back old customers and the old way generated a lot of ill will among people who didn't know the TOC and made wrong assumptions.

The gist of the new policy, from your weblink:

3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Allowing people to re-activate even after 24 mos. is a great move on DLs part. I know they have won the business of my friend back with this move. He had tried several times (via the DL website and emailing customer service) to have the points reactivated and kept getting the same message that bc it was over 24 mos he was SOL. My the time the CSR we spoke with said it could be done he was HAPPY to pay the money. He booked a (paid) flight to LHR on DL less than 24 hours after "winning" his miles back.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And the best part will be an end to those rant threads, were people are so angry that they sign up for every bulletin board they can find and post long rants about how Delta stole their miles.

jmrich1432 and DeltaExpert like this.
  5. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is great. I ran into someone who accidentally let 800k HHonors points expire, and they would not bend the rules to re-instate them. Hence he will never stay with Hilton again.

Gargoyle, jmrich1432 and DeltaExpert like this.
  6. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ouch 800,000?!?! Seems like a pretty big loss on the part of Hilton. I can't see myself being able to stay with them ever again either. I know everything has T&C and letting your miles/points expire is usually due to not monitoring them (not the fault of the program), but when you've accrued THAT many you would expect a little bit of leeway. Or mabye half of them back, I don't know.

ryandc99 likes this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    As my third carrier I only use DL from time to time. Having miles expire was always a bother to me. I applaud DL’s no expiration policy.
    Helping people recover lost miles is another plus in DL’s favor. The more an airline becomes customer friendly and easy to do business with, the more they suck you in. Good for them!

Gargoyle and jmrich1432 like this.