DL using social media info to gut SM program?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, Mar 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    The SDC change illustrates how DL can use social media to attack program benefits they see as a problem. They've already done this with their award booking system of course.

The DL apologists have only themselves to blame for this. Some of them appeared to take pleasure in telling everyone what value there was in SM and how to game the system...in particular, to SDC onto originally more-expensive flight options, perhaps even straight into F on day of departure.

Apparently quite a number of DL's Medallions felt this was a significant program perk and used if often.

So, DL most certainly does use FT but the communication is by no means two-way. The beady-eyed SM managers in the basement at Virginia Ave watch the threads and develop revenue-containment strategies...before delivering these in their classic drive-by posting the morning of the rescission, if you are lucky.

Meantime, want to talk about fake cheese, anyone? :confused:

2. redtailshark

Status Points:
    An inconvenient truth, it would seem.

Well, so after years of obfuscation and denial on this matter, including self-delusion by DL apologists, we see this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...sfer-upon-death-policy-program-update-27.html

"When they announced the MQD's I had a couple of DL people call me, almost gleeful to get my take on how a notorious FT'er was taking the news. It was silence on the other end when I told them that FT'er was unconcerned because he runs his mom's business thru his AMEX, waiving him from the MQD. I know that a FT'er was used as one of the examples of abuse that led to the 72 hour rule being implemented. I can go on..."

Very interesting. An "FTer was used as one of the examples of abuse..."

DL board members have only themselves to blame for the 72-hour rule... at least, according to certain apologists, apparently now revealed to have an inside track to DL.

So all the sticky posts about how to find BE awards to EU and all the information presented as a resource for SM members has been serving another purpose.

This cannot be too surprising now, in light of the DL management approach to this. Another good reason to not post anything useful to SM members on any social media site. Even though I am not actively accumulating SM, I have a few left and I can still subvert SM in a few ways. I have no intent of providing that info for Jeff's benefit.

3. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Some other quotes from the recently self-acknowledged inside track are worthy of quotation:

"...rather trying to warn and advise that this is one of several changes that are coming."

[Welcome to FBATR and total lack of utility of the SM program including the SM. DL wants kettles...so, be a buy-up kettle! Less frustrating than thinking SM Medallion offers anything useful or is really worth spending anything to maintain]

"The FF model is broken"

[As opposed to the DL award calendar... although "broken" implies by accident, and the SM/DL.COM dysfunctionality has long been not-accidental....]

"High noise to spend ratio" is another quote DL folks have used to describe FT'ers in general."

Muahaha! Now we get to it... [losers! We'll get you out of our F cabins and your entitled frame of mind!]

And - drum roll, shock, horror - "People at DL know your handle." Wooo! Scary stuff!

Well, even though I was censored over there, you can bet they know mine too! Muahaha!

And all of this proves that DL SM is more than ever:

[​IMG]BEST IN CLASS[​IMG]

DiverDave likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see you found some enlarged stars.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are those red giants?

mattsteg likes this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect Shark would posit that they are red supergiants.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. redtailshark

Status Points:
    I've been looking for stars of dimensions suitable to bracket Jeff's in-famous, notorious claim for some time now. David suggested this during our earlier discussions. Finally, I found them last week and tested them on the BA board and they worked so now, they're here where they belong.

Don't forget, you DL DM gamers, Jeff KNOWS YOUR HANDLES! You - one of you - was responsible for the gaming that led to the regrettable need for the T-72 award change moratorium.

Ultimate solution: Fly DL, credit AS. forget MQD (and PHL to FCO, you know).

DiverDave likes this.
  8. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, you had to out me in public? :eek:

David

9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone seen verification on this yet? Or is it still just rumors and conjecture from a GA?

USAF_Pride, jackplum and redtailshark like this.
  10. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think we would be fools to not believe they are monitoring us. If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, .....

I think of it this way, they know there are ways to game the system. As long as you are not flaunting it, they let it slide. When everyone is doing it, then they put a stop to it. Think of the FD thread, everyone knows that is being watched and obfuscate everything. IMO, bloggers are the main cause by airing the dirty laundry.

redtailshark, Flyer1976 and DiverDave like this.
  11. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Robin, it would contradict the pattern of facts to deny that DL is cutting the SM program quite effectively and that their clear intent is to leave the old DL behind and to become the industry "leader" in the transformation of FF benefits. Jeff is rubbing his hands thinking of his keynote speech at the 2016 convention...

The T-72 award change moratorium is a glaring example that serves no interest except SM rev-mgmnt calculus. Its primary purpose was to remove the ability for DM/PM gamers to change from SKYSNORK levels to LOW when the mythical bucket opened at T-71 hours. Let's not forget the stealth-of-night way it was implemented in classic DL style.... Then numerous other cuts...the clamped-shut AF/KL O bucket, meaning use of EF for monitoring availability has been significantly downgraded as well... doubling of intra-Asia award rates without even a drive-by FT posting; the forthcoming SDC reversions which clearly serve exactly the same purpose as the T-72 moratorium....i.e. to stop "revenue leakage" by "DL DM gamers." It goes on. And on.

Back to 2010. This is why PHL to FCO was significant - it pointed to a mendacity that the system was set up to support. THREE LEVELS, more CHOICE.... you remember Jeff's spiel and if you don't, check the embedded YouTube from 2009 that I posted in another thread. I could never understand why this redemption was regarded as "broken" or inconsequential - it clearly indicated a nontransparent award pricing structure that was intended, as GU Wonder has consistently pointed out, to "fleece" customers. Also, don't forget that the size of the "cost" fields in the SM award tool/system architecture needed to be prepped ultimately for FBATR in which J class redemptions to the EU/Asia will cost more than 1 million SM.

USAF, outside of DL, the FD thread is a good example of what happens. But the monitoring of the DL board and the use to which the shared information is being put clearly illustrates the bad faith of the DL SM management team. None of the data or quotations are mine - obviously, I was banned from the FT DL board years ago - so the evidence over there is even coming from DL apologists.

Talk about shoes dropping!

DL apologists must surely remember cellisttoo and the "customer focus group" or "clinic" - whatever it was called, and the intense sense of disquiet, even foreboding, she exhibited while respecting the NDA...well, the writing has been on the wall for a long time.

And let's be real. The worst is yet to come. Near-term enhancements are going to include LUTXVE earnings of 50% or less, maybe zero, and the imposition of non-upgradeable status on such fares, followed by the ultimate endgame of FBATR. At which point, SM will serve no purpose whatsoever in incentivizing travel. DL won't be stopped from this path. The OALs may, however, be dissuaded depending on the reactions. If AA and MP drive significant marginal business from DL defectors and this is directly attributed to the FFPs vs SM, then they may not be so hasty to follow. We shall see.

I'm going to be blunt.

Anyone who is accumulating or saving DL SM for use beyond the end of this year is a fool. As for saving for "retirement," unless that's happening this year and you'll use those miles this year, you're truly insane.

It won't be DL who is [​IMG] best in class [​IMG] at that point, it will be you - the customer - who expects your SM stock to retain "value" in the face of the mountain of evidence of DL's intent to whack SM value close to zero, and their desire to impose cuts without notice.

On the upside: when this really goes ahead, ironically one of the beneficiaries could be....me! Because FO will be worth something again, and as long as MM are complimentary annual FOs I could even get UG! But then, if I expected this "annual complimentary" status to last, I'd be a fool too. So like all other SM program offerings, I treat it as worthless and it never manipulates me into purchases I would otherwise regret :)

DiverDave likes this.