DL to start nonstop DTW-PEK

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Jul 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Delta Air Lines has started direct flights 5x/week with 777's between Beijing and Detroit, Michigan on July 3.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43617697/ns/travel-news/
    The DTW-PEK inaugural, DL 189 was on July 1, the return inaugural, DL 188 will depart PEK on July 3rd.

DTW-PEK
    Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
    Detroit at 9:25 p.m. Beijing at 11 p.m. (next day)

PEK-DTW
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday
    Beijing at 6:55 a.m. Detroit and 8:15 a.m

They also launched the biweekly Shanghai-Atlanta direct flight on June 6.

More info:
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ervice-between-detroit-beijing-124846399.html

ryandc99 and DeltaExpert like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange schedule. They're arriving into PEK very late at night and departing very early in the morning for no obvious reason. This makes the schedule connecting through NRT look good.

ryandc99 and DeltaExpert like this.
  3. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe this has to do with the very restricted slot situation at PEK. Remember the situation a year or two ago when AA started ORD-PEK service and had been offered 3am slots from the authorities. They had to postpone the start of the service at the last minute until they obtained slightly more civilized slots. DL's own SEA-PEK service also had a late slots (leaving SEA around 9pm or so) when it first started, and the outbound from PEK to SEA had to use the PEK-NRT slot times, while PEK-NRT switched to a 655am or 700am departure on some days...

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, one of the advantages of DTW-PVG is that it arrives a couple hours earlier than the NRT connection, so that you don't need to worry about missing the last maglev train if that's what you plan to do. For the return, when I last did the route, the nonstop and NRT connection both left around 10 am, which is reasonably civilized although having the flights depart at almost the same time tends to create crowds in the check in area and lounge. For DL, the upside might be that they save money on ground staff with these schedules.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Looks like the Chinese business people can have all day meetings in Detroit, have a nice dinner to celebrate the deal, and fly home, arriving in time to go straight to work.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many business meetings are held in Detroit? A better bet would be to give a seminar at University of Michigan and have a quick post-seminar drink or snack before going to the airport, or to work all day on campus before flying.

More seriously, it is extremely easy to connect to/from DTW from just about anywhere in the lower 48 and still make this flight, probably also from Canada and Alaska.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think it is intended as a hub link, and so the flight times allow for a lot of connex options.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  8. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am just glad there is another 777-200 with lie-flat seats that can get me to PEK. It seems for the past few months ATL-NRT has always been several thousand more than the alternatives that don't have the lie-flats.

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.