DL: SNA to MEX through mid-May as low as 3.7 CPM

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by HighPlainsDrifter, Jan 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mileage run opportunities to Mexico City are rare. Right now it looks like Delta through mid-May is matching a cheap Airtran direct flight from SNA to MEX which in some cases yields a CPM under .40 using such routings as SNA/ATL/DTW/MEX or SNA/MSP/LAX/MEX. Most are bookable using multi-city on Delta's website. In turn there are some sub .5 CPM runs from such cities as DEN, OKC, MCI and AUS to SNA thanks to Delta recently matching Frontier.

2. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a followup, I was able to book a weekend using the routing SNA/ATL/DTW/MEX going out and MEX/DTW/CVG/ATL/SNA returning for $356 AI for roughly 8600 miles (aprx .40 cpm). Several lessons from this exercise:
    1) SNA/MSP/LAX/MEX offers the lowest cents per mile but involves an Alaska Airlines redeye as the last leg where a Delta elite probably stands low chances of an upgrade.
    2) What was displayed on ITA using DL+ as a qualifier was often much different than what was displayed on Delta or the OTAs. I had to use multi-city in all cases to get the most convoluted routings. Delta.com frequently choked on the last step in the process of purchasing. It was painful.
    3) SNA to ATL flights appear to be elite heavy.
    4) SPG has a nice little downtown Four Points in Mexico City that is starting out as one of those elusive Starwood Category 1s i.e. 2K SPG points on weekends. Mexico City could be of value to those chasing Starwood platinum status.
    5) There might be a risk if you do Orange County Airport to Mexico City as a regular pure mileage run of getting flagged as a drug runner.

3. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick point of clarification: $356 for 8600 miles is 4.1 cpm (cents per mile; 35600 cents / 8600 miles), not .40 :)