DL plays games with fares on connecting itineraries

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Wandering Aramean, Jun 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bad news for folks expecting that the airline will show you the best fare when you search for a city pair which requires a connecting flight. American is playing fast and loose with some segment logic in certain markets, forcing a higher fare class on the exact same flights if you search A-C (and routing you via B) but allowing a lower fare if you search A-B+B-C.

LGA-AUS:
    [​IMG]

LGA-ATL+ATL-AUS:
    [​IMG]

Note that this is NOT an end-on-end fare issue. In both cases it is a single fare component.

Oh, and delta.com generally won't sell you the cheaper fare, though it will find it on the search results if you force multi-city. Orbitz has been pretty reliable in allowing the booking to go through in my testing.

Yes, it is married segment logic, but they're implementing it badly and you may be paying more than you need to for a flight...a lot more based on some of the searches I've done.

2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've sometimes found I can save substantial amounts of money by adding a segment and/or using an alternative airport.

Bob H

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    MJonTravel and gregm like this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has been a long-standing issue and pet peeve of mine. The good news is I've found fares cheaper from my home airport-ATL- "XXX" as opposed to ATL-"XXX", direct.

4. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes, our old friend the "broken" fares. Concur is pretty good about finding these.

David

5. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it is sad that you have to go to so much trouble. I find Kayak to be helpful as well.