DL Mileage Run Out of LAX

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by djsoulglo, Nov 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. djsoulglo

djsoulglo Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

Newbie to the site (second post) and to the mileage game. Until now, I have never been close to earning Medallion status; I typically don't fly more than 10,000 miles in a year and never worried about it. I guess that changed- I now find myself needing only 3,911 MQM to earn Silver status. I expect to travel another 25k miles or more next year, so I am thinking it will be worth it to figure out how to cram in these last MQMs before the end of the year.

I need a RT MR from Los Angeles area to commence and conclude on one of the following dates: 11/27, 12/3, 12/4, 12/10, 12/11, or 12/17.

The most time-efficient flight I am seeing is a LAX-MCI A fare, at a $.173 CPM (which, judging from what I have read here over the last few days, is a much more expensive CPM than what hardcore status/MR experts like to pay). I am searching Y and better fares for the 1.5x MQM, for $709 I earn 4,090 MQM.

Two RT LAX-SEA T fares (i.e., 1x MQM) costs $539 (a CPM of $.14), which is obviously more desirable. This would leave me 95 MQM shy of what I need, which is frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this just silly?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    First go here http://www.farecompare.com/search/flyertalk.html

Enter your airports (which I guess would be LAX and maybe BUR and/or LGB) and click all the destinations (though for 4000 MQM, you only need a domestic one from L.A.).

Then Find Fare. On the left side, filter it to only SkyTeam.

From what I can see, the preliminary review shows nothing is less than 5cpm. The lowest domestic trip would be to FLL (FL is common, my MR this year was LAX-DTW-MIA and back for a great price).

After that, go here http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

In the matrix, enter LAX and FLL as origin/destination, and in advanced routing codes, enter DL+ (for Delta flights). For the flights, I usually start at a day and search for a month after that. Stay period would be 0-1 days (since you want a same-day).

Now, you said that your dates are pretty constricted, so I can't find the lowest price which is at $279. But, I do see that for $306.30, you can do a turn early Saturday 12/10 (close to 1am) that's LAX-MEM-FLL, 7 hours in FLL, then FLL-ATL-LAX back Saturday night. That nets you almost 5000 MQMs, which is about 6cpm. Not a fantastic MR (I did a 6300 MQM for <$200 earlier this year, around 3.1cpm), but it'll get you what you need + a little bit for rollover.

Hope that tutorial helps.

tin509, FrequentMiler and djsoulglo like this.
  3. djsoulglo

djsoulglo Active Member

Status Points:
    Definitely, thank you very much!

4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No prob! I'm also LAX-based and a DL flyer, so I had a vested interest to see if there were any good MRs out of here ;)

5. djsoulglo

djsoulglo Active Member

Status Points:
    I pulled the trigger on the exact ticket you described, thanks again. This is my first MR and will be my first status with any rewards program (which I will actually achieve on 12/31 after returning from IST).

What I am most looking forward to is leaving my company's holiday party on that Friday night to get on a 12:30am MR flight...

6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have fun and stay hydrated! Silver status is definitely better than no status and it's great if you are planning on flying 25K+ next year (i.e., actually using it). I wouldn't expect too many upgrades out of LAX (especially on ATL flights, which are my main ones) but you do at least get preferred seating, free bags, and humane treatment :)

7. m124

m124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I apologize for hijacking OP's thread because I am not a LAX flyer, but this is the first time I have seen farecompare.com mentioned.

Out of my home airport, SLC, I am seeing this fare on farecompare:

Salt Lake City, UT
    Bucharest, RO
    BA
    OLX7Q2Z1 fare class
    $490 base fare
    $591 total
    12022 miles
    $0.05 cpm

I have tried booking this on all booking sites I know of, and could not find it. Could it be that it sold out?

8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe farecompare returns inaccurate results for BA, related to not properly adding fuel surcharges.

That fare code is 293 round trip before taxes and surcharges, but depending on routing adds up to somewhere between 800-900 all inn.

m124 likes this.
  9. m124

m124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!